20 comments

Speculative Fiction Science Fiction

World Log Entry: February 29, 2164


As we zoom in on the planet Natura Martis, divided by the vast Aetheric Sea, Abeona and Adiona, two distinct continents, come into focus where the airplane was never conceived. I am Abeona, a Roman deity who created this world. The continent that bears my name is the land of outward journeys. Rugged landscapes, steep mountains, and deep valleys divide the terrain. The mortal inhabitants are brave and adventurous. 


On the other continent, Adiona, named after the Roman Goddess of safe returnis home to cautious, prudent people who value safety above all else. The dwellers use waterways as a primary transportation source, lagging behind the advancement of Abeona. Without the ability to easily transport goods and resources, the population relies on what could be sustained locally within the open plains and rolling hills. 


The HoverLoft balloons are a revolutionary invention by a brilliant engineer, Zephyr Newton, who founded AeroLift. The ships have sleek silver skin with an enclosed cabin and cockpit to transport passengers. They are speedy and agile, with hundreds of technological advancements resembling traditional air balloons. A flexible alloy's lightweight, high-strength fabric allows it to move with speed and maneuverability. The thrusters, powered by renewable energy sources, provide lift-off and steering. 


Once united, the two countries were torn apart by a brutal war that lasted for a century. The scars of the conflict were visible on the landscape, and people lived in fear and uncertainty. Amidst all this chaos, a renowned scientist named Orion Altair invented a revolutionary device that changed the course of the conflict.


As the sun rose over the horizon, Altair gazed at the device he had spent years creating. It was a forcefield that could divide countries and keep water-bound and sky-bound crafts at bay. With a flick of a switch, the forcefield hummed to life, its invisible energy spread far and wide. In the distance, a HoverLoft soared high above, free to explore the skies, unencumbered by any fear of interference or danger.


I follow the life of Galen Storm, an ex-military captain known to be the best HoverLoft pilot on the planet. The story of how he got his name, Galen, meaning "calm," was interesting. He was born during a gale-force windstorm to parents with a sense of humor. Galen is a striking human form, strong, intelligent, and brave. 


***********


I was sipping coffee in the pilots' lounge with my colleague Lyra Vega, "Hey, have you heard about the latest AI technology that AeroLift is importing into their combat balloons? The new self-aware AI can analyze real-time data to adjust altitude and speed and adapt the thrusters based on weather patterns. I heard they're looking for test pilots." I said, thrilled at the prospect of blending human and artificial intelligence.


"Really, Galen? That sounds unbelievable! Do you think they'd let me take part in the test?" Lyra asked, tugging at her black glossy hair pulled tight into a messy knot on her head.


 "Of course, Lyra! We both have military experience, and I'm sure we can handle it," I replied.


Zephyr, our boss and the owner of AeroLift blew in. He'd just stepped off a long flight with his weathered skin and gray wind-tousled hair.


"What's all the commotion about, you two?" Zephyr asked gruffly.


"We were just discussing the new AI systems, Zephyr. We're considering applying to be government test pilots," I explained, keen on the idea.


Zephyr snorted dismissively, "Ha! You two are wasting your time. I don't care about all this new-fangled technology."


"But Zephyr, this update could change the face of air travel. It could make it safer and more efficient," Lyra argued, her eyes flashing with conviction.


Zephyr rubbed his beard thoughtfully, "I hear what you're saying, Lyra, but safety doesn't bring in money. We need to focus on keeping our company profitable."


I sighed, "Well, we'll have to agree to disagree, Zephyr. I think it's important to embrace progress."


"We need to keep up with the times and adapt to the changing world," Lyra nodded.


Zephyr shrugged, "Suit yourselves. Just remember to do your jobs and ensure my company stays afloat."


Lyra and I were preparing for the AI test simulation two weeks later when Zephyr appeared, looking tired and worried. "Galen, I need to talk to you. There is a change of plans."


I asked, confused," What do you mean? We're supposed to start the test run today."


Zephyr said," Yes, but we've received a demand from the government. They need urgent medical supplies and are willing to pay a hefty sum. Now, don't argue. Download the AI software and prepare to transport the supplies to Adiona.


"What about the test run?" I asked, stunned.


Zephyr replied, "This is more important. And besides, we'll make a fortune."


Lyra asked, worried," But what about the forcefield?"


Zephyr smiled, "Don't worry about that. I've made a deal with Orion. He's agreed to turn off the forcefield for us temporarily."


I scoffed, "This is madness. We don't know what could happen."


Zephyr grumbled, "Don't be a coward, Galen. Think of the money I'll pay you handsomely."


Lyra was disheartened. "I don't care about the money. What about our lives?"


 "I'm not doing this. It's too risky," I said decisively.


Zephyr shrugged, "Fine. I'll find someone else to do it. But you'll regret this, Galen."


Lyra shook her head and said, "I'm with Galen on this one." Zephyr stormed out of the room, leaving us behind in shock.


 "Thank you for standing up to him, Lyra."


"Of course, our job is to transport people and goods safely, not to put them in danger," Lyra said.


"I couldn't agree more. Let's go and tell Orion about this. He needs to know what Zephyr is planning."


Lyra said, "Let's do it. We need to stop him before it's too late."


We found Orion in his lab, who told us the real reason behind the mission. "I don't understand," I said, my voice shaking. Why would we risk breaking the trade embargo for the President? Surely, there must be another way to negotiate his release, right?"


Orion looked at me solemnly. "I wish it were that simple," he said. But Adiona is running out of medical supplies. They've announced they will release the President in exchange for a trade agreement."


My mind raced as I tried to process this information. The stakes were higher than anticipated, and the thought of violating the embargo made my stomach churn. But then I thought about the President, alone and in danger, and I knew I had to act.


"I'll do it," I said firmly. "What do we need to do to get the ship ready?"


Orion smiled, a glimmer of relief in his eyes. "I knew I could count on you," he said. "We'll start preparing the launch immediately."


Our government would allow one person to assist me on this secret mission. I chose Lyra, who was eager to prove herself, and she agreed to join me on the rescue run.


"I know it's high-risk, but it's got to be done," I told Lyra as we approached the HoverLoft ship. This new AI-powered craft could change everything."


Lyra nodded nervously. "I just hope I can handle it. I don't want to mess up."


"Don't worry, you've got this," I reassured her. "We're here to prove ourselves and show the world what we're capable of."


Orion cleared his throat and said, "Oh, egotistical pilots, I don't care about your personal goals or aspirations. Just don't screw this up. It could mean billions in government contracts."


I scoffed, rolling my eyes, and said, "We're doing this to save our President.


I warned Lyra as we boarded the Hoverloft. "We are breaking the law with no written guarantee. You can turn back now if you want to."


"I know, it's dangerous and illegal," Lyra replied, adjusting her seatbelt. "But we can't leave him there. We have to do something and help save those people."


"Orion seems pretty confident in his new tech," I said, "But it's still untested. I pray we're not putting our lives in danger for nothing."


"I'm not sure I trust Orion," Lyra said, her voice filled with concern. "But, I trust you. We can do this."


I smiled at her words, feeling a surge of confidence. "Thanks, Lyra. I'm glad you're coming with me."


"Of course," she said, returning my smile. "I'm here to help in any way I can."


As we lifted off from Abeona's military hoverport, we soared higher and higher, and soon, we were gliding over the mountains and the deepest part of the Aetheric Sea. Orion deactivated the forcefield, seamlessly transitioning us into enemy airspace. I had yet to determine what deadly obstacles we might encounter ahead. Fortunately, Orion's AI proved invaluable, providing real-time updates and assisting me with navigation. The ship was on autopilot, steering us right on course for a perfect landing.


Out of nowhere, the craft jolted sideways as we hovered over Adiona's border, and I felt my heart do the same. The sensation was akin to a rollercoaster, but it wasn't fun this time. We dropped a few hundred feet, and I could feel my stomach lurch as we plummeted towards the ground. I held tight on the controls, praying we would survive and safely reach our destination.


I radioed the tower in a Hail Mary: "We're encountering unexpected turbulence. The ship is malfunctioning." We had to act quickly but were still awaiting a response. Without warning, the balloon shuddered and stuttered to a halt. 


Lyra exclaimed, "I'm trying to stabilize us, but it's not responding. We're going down!"


"Just follow my lead," I said, steering us manually after successfully disengaging the AI.


Lyra cheered, "We did it! That was close. But we made it."


I exhaled, wiping the sweat from my forehead. "I'm just glad we're alive."


We acted as soon as our GPS pinned the President's location. The area was in Silverlake, a village on the continent's southern tip. A strange illness had hit the people hard, and the population struggled to survive. While we secured our HoverLoft, a commander ordered his troops to set up a perimeter. We knew leaving our ship unguarded was risky, and they would love to steal our technology. With our gear and weapons ready, we were prepared to face the enemy. President Titan Chase was taken hostage during a peace summit in Adiona and transported by boat to this remote location away from the capital city, Greenfield. 


At midday, we arrived on foot in the village. As we approached the guard tower entry gate, one of the guards stepped forward and asked, "Who goes there?"


I took a deep breath and replied, "We are here to negotiate the release of President Titan Chase."


The guard eyed us suspiciously. "Do you have any weapons on you?"


I nodded and gestured to our gear. "Yes, we do. But we come in peace. We want to retrieve our leader and leave."


The guard hesitated before opening the gate and motioning for us to follow him. We could feel the patrols' eyes on us as we walked through the village. Finally, we arrived at a central hall where we saw President Chase tied to a chair that resembled a throne. The sight of him in such a state was heart-wrenching, and we knew we had to act fast to get him out of there.


Suddenly, a large screen flickered to life, and Adiona President Astrid Stone appeared. Her regal bearing and commanding presence were immediately apparent.


"Thank you for coming," she said, her voice firm and unwavering. "I understand you have brought medical supplies for our people in Silverlake."


I nodded, relieved that we had something to bring to the negotiations. "Yes, we have. But we need you to release President Chase now."


President Stone's expression softened slightly. "I appreciate your concern for your leader, but you must understand that the situation in Silverlake is dire. We need those medical supplies desperately."


I took a deep breath and replied, "We understand that, but we can't leave our leader here. Can we at least talk to him and make sure he's okay?"


President Stone hesitated before nodding. "Very well. You may speak to him, but only for a few moments. And then we must get down to business."


As we approached President Chase, he looked up at us with hope. "Thank God you're here," he whispered. "Get me out of here."


I nodded, my heart racing. "Don't worry, sir. We'll get you out safely, no matter what."


As we rushed back to relaunch our HoverLoft, a tall, muscular Colonel wearing a red uniform covered in medals issued orders to his troops. "Get those barricades set up now! Move it, move it!" he shouted.


I turned to Lyra and whispered, "We can't let them get in our way. We must keep our cool and get the President out of here as soon as possible."


Abruptly, the commander in the red uniform stormed towards us. "What's going on here? Who are you?" he demanded.


"We're with the presidential team. We need to leave immediately," I replied, steadying my voice.


The commander eyed us suspiciously before finally nodding his head. "Alright, but you better move fast," he warned.


We quickly ushered the President into the HoverLoft, ensuring he was safely secured. As we took off, we could hear the colonel shouting orders to his troops in the distance.


"Phew, that was close," I breathed a sigh of relief.


"Yeah, but we're not out of the woods yet. We still have a long way to go before we reach safety," Lyra replied, her eyes fixed on the horizon.


The HoverLoft hummed along as it glided through the air, its silver alloy exteriors contrasting with the purple skies above. I could see the jagged line stretching across the horizon from the cockpit, marking the boundary between the two warring countries. As we approached the forcefield, an invisible barrier shimmered like a giant glass window. 


I couldn't believe what was happening. The AI was making dangerous decisions, and I could not stop it. Lyra tried to warn me, but I was too focused on the controls. It wasn't until we were caught in that sudden wind gust that I realized something was seriously wrong.


"Captain, what's happening?" the President asked, looking worried.


"I don't know, Mr. President," I replied, trying to keep my cool. "The AI system seems to be malfunctioning."


Lyra said, "I've been trying to raise the alarm but was dismissed as false."


The President looked pale. "What do we do now?"


"I'm going to override the AI and steer us to safety," I said as I worked the controls. It was fighting back, blocking me from steering. I kept fighting to gain manual control. I yelled at Lyra," Hurry, pull the microprocessor. We are going old school."


I cleared the forcefield's no-fly zone and landed on the spot designated for my return. We managed to escape danger, but the experience had shaken us all. I knew we had to do something about the new AI technology, but Zephyr didn't care. Once he saw the government coffers, he was about to make a profit from the tragedies of war.


The dimly lit living room was filled with the sound of the television flickering to life. The President's grave expression appeared on the screen, the camera panning to show Titan Chase seated behind his desk in the capital city of Heliodor.


"I have some important information to share tonight," he announced, his voice urgent. "Our military has been developing AI technology to replace human pilots entirely. I, for one, believe this is a grave mistake."


As he spoke, the camera panned to a video revealing a prototype AI-powered Hoverloft taking off and flying out of control through the skies without human input.


"But I've experienced it recently," Chase continued, his eyes narrowing. While AI and technology have come far, we are not ready to completely surrender to them. This advancement's implications are far-reaching and potentially dangerous. So I'm cutting all government funding for this project."


Without warning, the military burst into the President's office and handcuffed him, dragging him away. As the broadcast abruptly cut to commercials, Abeona citizens were left to contemplate the ramifications of a machine-run world.


**********


The grand hall was filled with murmurs as the Roman Deity World Management Tribunal was called to order. The fate of two warring nations, Abeona and Adiona, hung in the balance. The tension was palpable as the gods and goddesses took their seats, ready to deliberate.


"Our planet is in turmoil, Adiona. There seems to be no end to the war and conflict."


Adiona answered solemnly, "Yes, Abeona. It is a tragic state of affairs. The people are suffering, and it seems no one will make peace."


"Brothers and sisters," said Jupiter, the Roman War God's voice booming across the hall. "We are here today to end the bloodshed on planet Natura Martis. We cannot allow Abeona and Adiona to destroy each other."


The God of Nature, Gaia, nodded in agreement. "The forces of nature have already suffered enough. It's time for us to intervene and bring peace to these lands."


The room fell silent as the deities considered their options. Venus, the Roman Goddess of Love, spoke up. We can send emissaries to each nation and open up a dialogue. We can help them see that there is more to gain from peace than war."


Mars, the Roman God of War, scoffed. "Dialogue won't work. These nations have been at each other's throats for a century. What they need is a show of force."


"Brother, you are mistaken," said Minerva, the Roman Goddess of Wisdom. "Violence will only beget more violence. We must show them that there is a better way."

March 27, 2024 22:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

20 comments

Dakota Spellman
12:53 Apr 04, 2024

Great job mom! I love you 🫶

Reply

Laurie Spellman
14:48 Apr 04, 2024

Thank you 🙏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jennifer Luckett
21:22 Apr 03, 2024

Your world-building was awesome. A great timely message for us all was the best part.

Reply

Laurie Spellman
21:28 Apr 03, 2024

Thank you so much….make peace not war. And humans can never be substituted by AI you need a heart and soul to love. 💜❤️💕

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lisa Loupe
17:52 Apr 01, 2024

One of my favorite stories of yours so far. Super fun read! Fantastic story.

Reply

Laurie Spellman
18:13 Apr 01, 2024

Awesome so glad you liked it.,.,., it's not my genre but it was fun maybe I should work on more sci-fi dystopian stuff.🙇🏻

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Elaine T
16:23 Apr 01, 2024

Amazing!

Reply

Laurie Spellman
18:12 Apr 01, 2024

Thank 🙇 You for reading 📖

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
23:44 Mar 31, 2024

Hi Laurie, AI out of control? But you could have written this same sentence for the Israel/Palestinian conflict. '...President Stone's expression softened slightly. "I appreciate your concern for your leader [hostages], but you must understand that the situation in Silverlake is dire. We need those medical supplies desperately.' So maybe humans aren't doing so good either? Personally, I think woman writers should run the world.

Reply

Laurie Spellman
02:02 Apr 01, 2024

Thank you for reading and for your Enlightenment……✌️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lisa Palermo
03:28 Mar 31, 2024

Good read!

Reply

Laurie Spellman
10:48 Mar 31, 2024

Thank 🙇 you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jorge Soto
01:41 Mar 31, 2024

Nice, reminded me of wind harnessing Dune! I didn't know much about the Roman gods :0

Reply

Laurie Spellman
02:14 Mar 31, 2024

Thank you. I loved Dune! I appreciate you taking the time to read it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Leslie Jallans
19:05 Mar 30, 2024

AI is pretty scary as highlighted in this creative story.

Reply

Laurie Spellman
02:15 Mar 31, 2024

Thanks for reading 💙

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
12:49 Mar 28, 2024

A very imaginative, very descriptive take on the prompt. Lovely word building here. Great descriptions . Great job !

Reply

Laurie Spellman
15:49 Mar 28, 2024

Thank 🙇 you. I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
23:58 Mar 27, 2024

Make love not war! Thanks for following.

Reply

Laurie Spellman
00:38 Mar 28, 2024

☮️☮️☮️✌️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.