Bill finds out about his past

Submitted into Contest #96 in response to: Start your story with the arrival of a strange visitor in a small town.... view prompt

0 comments

American Western Fiction

On a warm summer night in eighteen forty seven in a western town just outside of Texas. A stranger rolls in to town he was wearing a black cowboy hat with a black leather trench coat. The man had his head down as he road his black horse into town the man road up to the bar just on the edge of town hopped down off his horse. The saddle look brand new the sliver on the saddle shined in the moon light.

He gave his horse a pet then took the rains leading the horse to the trough. As he tied the horse to a post everyone was watching him in suspicion. No one new came to town for a while there was a lot of talk among the town folk. The man slowly walked over to the bar still with his head down everyone was trying to see his face. He pushed open the door to the bar walked over to the bar keep keeping his face down.

Music playing loudly in the bar keep asks.

Bar keep: ( What can I get you.)

Stranger: ( A bottle of whiskey.)

Bar keep: ( You want the whole bottle?)

Stranger: ( Yes I do.)

Bar keep: ( Okay you got it.)

The bar keep walks to the end of the bar get a bottle of whiskey comes back over handing it to the stranger the bar keep asks.

Bar keep: ( Would you like a glass with it?)

Stranger: ( Yes.)

Bar keep: ( Okay here you go.)

Stranger: ( Thanks.)

The stranger gets up from his bar seat walks over to a dark corner of the bar. Sits down and quietly drinks his whiskey the bar keep walks around to every one at the bar. Whispering glancing over at the corner if anyone new the stranger that walked in the bar but no one new him.

The bar keep was not trying to get into the strangers business he was just trying to, get a feel for if he was going to be trouble or not. As the night drew on towns folk started coming to the bar when there businesses closed for the night. Everyone walked up to the bar keep to get their drink as they did the bar keep whispered. To them about the stranger in the corner seeing if anyone new this man.

No one in town new him or of him one man left the bar after the bar keep asked him about the stranger. He went straight to the sheriff telling him about the stranger.

Man: ( Hey sheriff you are not going to believe this.)

Sheriff: ( What is it now Bob? You always come in here with this all the time I am not going to believe something. What is it?)

Bob: ( A stranger came in to town.)

Sheriff: ( That is nothing new Bob. Strangers come to town all the time.)

Bob: ( Not like this sheriff.)

Sheriff: ( Okay I will bite. What is he like?)

Bob: ( He will not let anyone see his face.)

Sheriff: ( So what he probably got hurt.)

Bob: ( He bought a whole bottle of whiskey. The he went and sat in the darkest part of the bar.)

Sheriff: ( So that is not a crime.)

Bob: ( Well everyone at the bar is worried he might be trouble. They are asking for you to come check it out.)

Sheriff: ( Fine I will come check it out. If it is not you go home and get some sleep.)

The sheriff and Bob walk back to the bar the sheriff looks over at the bar keep. The bar keep tilts his head to the corner the sheriff looks over to the corner then looks down at the floor with his hands on his hips in disbelief. That he has to come check out a stranger probably going to ruin this strangers night. Then he looks up walking of to the dark corner grabbing a chair from a near by table. Scraping it across the floor even though the sheriff can not see the strangers eyes the sheriff feels the stranger looking at him.

The sheriff sits down looking across the table at a dark corner the sheriff hears the man sit the glass on the table. He hear the whiskey bottle scrap on the table as the stranger picks it up. The sheriff hears the whiskey being poured in to the glass then the bottle being set back down on the table.

Stranger: ( mm.) ( Damn good whiskey.) ( Sorry sheriff I only have one glass here.)

Sheriff: ( That is okay I am not here to drink.)

Stranger: ( Okay what can I do for you then?)

Sheriff: ( See I have no problem with people coming to my town. I just want to make sure there will be no problems.)

Stranger: ( Oh yes that. Well sheriff seeing as how this is your town I suppose you would like to know who I am and why I am here.)

Sheriff: ( that would be nice. I just do not want you causing any trouble in my town.)

Stranger: ( Well for starters my name is Bill. As to the rest I am not looking for trouble I just want to sit here and enjoy my whiskey.)

Sheriff: ( Well Bill as long as there is no trouble from you. Let me be the first to welcome you to (Wild Berry).)

Bill: ( ( Wild Berry) That is a messed up name for a town.)

Sheriff: ( Well a couple of years age we grew a lot of Berries until the droughts came. Ever since then we could not grow and Berries but that is how the town got its name from the berries we grew.)

Bill: ( Well that is a good way to get a towns name.)

Sheriff: ( Yes it is. Now can I ask what brought you this way. At lest to our little town.)

Bill: ( Well sir it is like this. I have been riding for four days I ran out of water to drink and my horse was tired it was a hour since my horse and I seen water. Your town came in to view so we stopped to get a drink.)

Sheriff: ( You did not have any trouble out there did you? There is no one else going to be coming in to my town looking for you is there.)

Bill: ( Honestly I did run in to a little trouble on my way over from some guys.)

Sheriff: ( Do you know who they were?)

Bill: ( Some clan that called them selves (The Nightmare Brothers). )

Sheriff: ( No not them they cause trouble here all the time.)

Bill: ( Really well you will not be seeing four of them any more.)

Sheriff: ( Really what happened?)

Bill: ( The caught me in the valley just days ride from your town tried to take my stuff. I took four of them down three road off I do not know where they went.)

Sheriff: ( No. That is not right ( The Nightmare Brothers) are not a clan of seven. There is only four of them are you sure that is what they called them selves.)

Bill leans forward in to the light lifts his head up so the sheriff could get a good look at Bills face.

Bill: ( Look sheriff I know you do not know me. But when it comes to some one holding me down and cutting my face I hear every word that mans says. Then I shoot him as they look through my stuff when they think they got over on me.)

Sheriff: ( Bill I can have our doctor here to look you over.)

Bill: ( Thanks but no Thanks sheriff I only had enough money for the whiskey.)

Sheriff: ( Bill I am not taking no for a answer. The bill for the doctor is on me.)

Bill: ( Now why would you go and do a thing like that for. You do not even know me or anything about me.)

Sheriff: ( I am Doing it because you to on ( The Nightmare Brothers). You took down four of them that is four less I have to worry about right now.)

Bill: ( Well thank you kindly sheriff.)

Sheriff: ( Oh and you will be staying in town tonight. There is a motel across from the sheriffs office we have some talking to do.)

Bill: ( If you wanna talk? Do it now. Because when this bottle is empty I am gone. I will be looking for the rest of those Brothers.)

Sheriff: ( Well good that is what I wanted you to do. But I can not just have you running around killing people. So I am making you my Deputy.)

Bill: ( What!?)

Sheriff: ( you proved that you can handle your self in a gun fight.)

Bill: ( Your point. How are you going to make me a deputy when you do not know me.)

Sheriff: ( I am good at reading people I can tell you are a good guy. I can tell you been through a tough way. I also know that you just need a break and no one will give it to you not even the cattle runners. So I am going to give you the break that you need.)

Bill: ( How do you know all of that Sheriff?)

The sheriff leans in looks Bill right in the eyes and says.

Sheriff: ( Because I keep in touch with mom.)

Bill: ( Mom? What are you talking about?)

Sheriff: ( Bill your moms name is Marge correct.)

Bill looks at the sheriff with a strange look for a minute then says.

Bill: ( Yes?)

Sheriff: ( She is also my mom.)

Bill: ( Now wait just a minute. You are trying to play some game here to make me look like a idiot.)

Sheriff: ( No I am not. Your dads name is Mike correct.)

Bill: ( Yes?)

Sheriff: ( Okay! I am your brother.)

Bill: ( No your not I have no brother my dad said he died in a mining accident.)

Sheriff: ( When you was just a baby dad And I got in to a argument pretty bad. He said I had to leave the Ranch and never come back.)

Bill: ( Ha I got you there we have no ranch.)

Sheriff: ( Because you lost it to the bank right? All because of the Berries not growing correct.)

Bill: ( Yes.)

Sheriff: ( How would I know all of this? If I am not your brother and not kept in touch with mom.)

Bill: ( I am not sure.)

Sheriff: ( Look mom is coming in to town tomorrow. She will settle this but for now brother welcome to ( Wild Berry.)

Bill goes off to the motel thinking it was just bad whiskey he had mixed with passing out in the bar. But when he gets to the motel he is greeted and told his room was taking care of Bill heads off to his room. He opens the door looks around walks over to the bed and just falls on to it clothes and all and just passes out. The next day Bill gets up leaves the motel hopping not to run in to the sheriff.

So Bill can just split town all of his hopes come crashing down when he walks over to get his horse. He looks across the street to see his mother talking to the sheriff Bill walks over ready to set the story straight. When Bills mom says ( Bill honey I heard you met your brother last night. Oh my two boys together finally one a sheriff one a deputy.) Bill shocked at what his mother just said but now believes everything the sheriff said last night.

Bill walks over gives his mother a hug they all walk in to the store to get some food. As they walk in Bill watch the his mom and now brother as the get the food. After all of the food has been gotten Bill asks ( Mom how long are you staying for? ) Their mom looks at Bill saying ( Not to long. Why you need me to?) Bill looks back at her but before he can say anything his brother says ( Mom Bill probably wants you to stay and explain everything about me dad the ranch all of it.) Their mom looks at Bill and asks ( Bill is he right? )

Bill: ( Yes mom he is right.)

Mom: ( I new this would happen. Okay I will stay the night we will all have dinner and I will explain everything then I have to get back to your father. If you have anymore questions I will not be back to town for a week so you will have to come see me okay.)

Bill: ( Okay mom)

Through out the afternoon into evening Bills mom explains everything that happened with his brother and his father. Over dinner Bills mom goes on to explain that his brother is no longer allowed to come around. Because the stupid argument their father and he had many years back. Eventually Bill begins to understand everything and excepts the sheriff as his brother and takes the job as his deputy.

June 02, 2021 19:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.