Most people will not believe me.. so.. I guess..

Submitted into Contest #93 in response to: Set your story at a party that has gone horribly wrong.... view prompt

1 comment

American Holiday Suspense

The year? I think it was 1974. The first party? No I had been to several family parties. This however was the first Halloween party for everyone in the county.

My mom thought of doing things right for Halloween. And? Well, we had close to 321 people on the guess register. Why? She wanted to give photos of the event to everyone.

Seemed odd but that is how she was at that time. The party? Was it bad? What went horribly wrong? I could tell you a story or three about that party you would not believe. Like who was there and why.

However, I think I will tell you of five of the guest of the party. We were all in similar age group. We played together. And?

That party we did things. And?

Well, horribly wrong is what happened after the party. You see all of them turned into serial killers.

Myself? I did other things.

Why?

I know their story. The queer that hurt them? I heard how he was dealt with too. You see I do other things..

The party? What went horribly wrong?

I think the people I am talking about do not want that part of the story told.

Do I tell you about what they did after that? How one in his teens murdered his girlfriends family and her? Funny. No. He had a hard enough life.

Do I tell you about Dave? How he moved to Chicago. Became one of the largest weed distributors in Chicago for five years then had to vanish?

Why? Like I said serial killers are interesting. Dave had because of DEA shooting down his planes. Purchased a Russia MiG and was planning on attacking DEA aircraft that attacked his shipments. He was or is to be honest a rather dangerous guy.

He did three things wrong. He bragged about it. And? He went on a party with someone that was a snitch. Specifically Dave had purchased a yacht took it out in the Lakes and after partying on it with some others killed a person. Then opened up the lower windows of the yacht letting the water come in and took the raft like small craft and left with the other 12 people while the yacht sunk.

The snitch however was not or did not have enough evidence. So? He tried to talk to Dave outside of that party.

And?

Dave killed him in a parking lot full of cops. This was late 70s. And? The cops made his life hell so he left the business moving to Wyoming becoming a pastor. There he gave or wasted 49 million dollars away until his wife and everyone left him. There he had to stop a local cop from something. From my understanding the cop was or is buried someplace now in Wyoming mountain region. How do I know? Again. I know him or knew him and his story on that Halloween day. Would we have changed if we did not do what we did that night? Who knows. So two serial killers down?

Jack, he was something else. Ended up at Christian camps etc. However, his tales were of knifing a guy to death in prison. Why was there? For robbery of the company he worked at pay service. I did not say my friends were smart. They seemed to hold out until something snaps. He did not get caught for knifing the guy. He was released. And two weeks later? He gunned down a local drug dealer for some pain medicine. Weird how pain causes thinking and issues. His third person he killed making him a serial killer was some person at a local rest stop. Why? I am just me. I listen sometimes I do not get explanations.

The fourth guy? He was a character. Christian was his name. He got mad at someone. Set him on fire and then escaped for two weeks before his conscience forced him to turn himself in.. Nice guy. I always wonder about him.

So where was I? Oh That horrible party in 1973. What did happen there anyway?

What could turn five country kids into well murders.. Simple? A clown? Laughter. Silly no.

A chicken sacrifice? Cutting a chickens head off and then letting body of the chicken run through the party did occur then and it did freak people out. Was that it? No.

What happened that odd Halloween night so long ago?

I wished I knew. I mean after all I know their stories. And had an interesting life. Maybe if I was not a time traveler I could tell you? Time traveler is not what you say but how you move through time. I wonder.

If a future you could get away with a past and not tell anyone what would you say or do?

Ah.. why not..

The school local mascot the Red Devil was something of a myth. A myth? No one I knew believed in magic at that time. The stories were this mascot could change your fate. Seemed rather weird to be honest. Anyway, Halloween supposedly a virgin woman was to be sacrificed to this mascot for a winning football team.. Did it happen? Who knows. I do not know. I do know that an event did happen. For there are a lot of missing people out in that country space and? Well, lets say five kids saw something that changed their fate from being farmers to being what ever they became.

And the body of said missing girl?

Well, who said it was a girl?

And who said I even real? After all you are in my ghost story now. What? Oh, fate if fickle my friend. Remember fate is real and your story is written down someplace and you will find out someday what you did right or wrong.

Don't believe me. Read your history of your local farm communities and see. How once outstanding families now have strange fated evils among them.


May 08, 2021 19:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Abood Balbisi
12:49 Jun 09, 2021

Can I post your story on YouTube with your name listed With some edits you can look at my channel https://youtu.be/3wjgHZWiXwo

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.