IZZY'S DARE

Submitted into Contest #94 in response to: Start your story with someone accepting a dare.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

I dare you are the words you fear, those words certainly don't put fear into me. I was dared to go into the most haunted place in America. I accepted the dare and now I stand in front of Bailey mansion.


The day before

Glenn Bay is said to be the most haunted town in America and the place I call home. When people hear about Glenn Bay they think about ghosts, demons and witches, but to me this is all crazy talk.


I live in Glenn Bay my entire life and I never encountered any ghosts, demons or witches, but that's not to say there aren't any stories about the wick misgivings of Glenn Bay.


I've heard the stories or shall I say fairy tales about ghosts roaming the streets of Glenn Bay or demons haunting stores and homes or even witches casting spells on the unsuspecting residents of Glenn Bay.


Don't get me wrong I love hearing these stories, but to believe them is another thing. I love Glenn Bay it's the best place to live. I loving walking down Main Street and seeing all the shops. My favorite is the ice cream shop.


Glenn Bay has its good points and bad points. Glenn Bay is a small friendly town, everybody knows everybody. Glenn Bay is the best place to raise a family if you don't believe in the hauntings, that's my opinion.


The bad points about Glenn Bay is the most obvious reason it's haunted. Tourist come to Glenn Bay to see the haunted spots like the cemetery, Glenn Bay cove and Bailey mansion.


Bailey mansion the most haunted place in America and the most visited place in Glenn Bay. I don't go to Bailey mansion because I don't believe it's haunted. My friends , family and other residents won't step a foot anywhere near Bailey mansion or the area around Bailey mansion.


The story goes, the year 1880 Owen Bailey the riches man in Glenn Bay had a wife Shannon and two daughters Cindy and Cathy, who he loved very much and would do anything to make happy.


Owen Bailey the man who built Glenn Bay into the town it is today was loved by everybody then one horrific night Owen Bailey's life and that of Glenn Bay changed forever.


Owen Bailey returns home after a business trip, upon entering his home he finds his wife and two daughters brutally murder. He goes to them with tears in his eyes and screams. The town hears him. The towns people go to Bailey mansion and find One Bailey cradling the dead bodies of his wife and daughters.


The towns people leave Bailey mansion when the sheriff arrives. The sheriff questions Owen Bailey about what happen. Owen Bailey tells the sheriff he found his wife and daughters murder when he came home from a business trip. The sheriff didn't believe Owen Bailey, but that didn't change the fact there was no evidence Owen Bailey committed the murders.


In the months since the murders Bailey mansion and Owen Bailey became a shell of their former self. While the town of Glenn Bay flourished, Bailey mansion became an after thought. Owen Bailey rarely came out of Bailey mansion and when he did there was whispers that Owen Bailey committed the murders in a fit of rage over his wife's suppose infidelity. The towns people never trusted Owen Bailey since that faithful night.


On the one year anniversary of the murders Owen Bailey committed suicide. The towns people weren't shocked in fact they were happy Owen Bailey took his life.


The story doesn't finish here. After Owen Bailey took his own life is where the hauntings begin. The legend goes that every year on the anniversary of Shannon, Cindy and Cathy's murder and the suicide of Owen Bailey, the spirit of Owen Bailey raises and haunts Bailey mansion and the surrounding area.


Over one hundred years have passed since the murders and suicide and my town of Glenn Bay is still haunted by Bailey mansion. The story of the Bailey's has been passed down from generation to generation. My mother tells me this story all the time. She hopes that one day I will believe Bailey mansion is haunted by the spirit of Owen Bailey. I don't think that will happen.


Tomorrow is the anniversary of the murders and suicide, not a lot of people will be out, that is also part of the legend. On that night the residents of Glenn Bay stay home for fear of Owen Bailey.My mother, sister and friends stay home, me I go out because I'm not afraid of Owen Bailey or the legend.


"So my dear sister Izzy tomorrow is the anniversary. Me and mom are staying home."


"Good for you Gabby. I will be going out to the same place I go ever year on that day."


"The bookstore."


"Yes." Gabby rolls her eyes at me.


"Going to the cafe?"


"Yes want to come."


"Of course."


Glenn Bay cafe is the place to be to unwind from a long day of work and school. I'm going to meet my friends Maddie, Angie, Ben and Mason. They all believe in the hauntings.


I'm at the cafe as usual there are a lot of people. I spot my friends in the back. I know they are talking about the anniversary and the hauntings.


"Lets go inside Izzy."


I follow Gabby inside the cafe. We say hello to Maddie, Angie, Ben and Mason.


"What are you guys talking about?"


I look at Gabby. She flashes me a wicked smile.


"We are talking about the anniversary."


I roll my eyes a them.


"Come on Izzy. You are the only one in Glenn Bay who doesn't believe in the hauntings."


"Because it's not real Mason. It's an urban legend that's been passed down from generation to generation to scare us."


"How about we make a deal?"


"What type of deal Mason?"


"Since tomorrow is the anniversary of the murders and the suicide of Owen Bailey. We dare you to go to Bailey mansion and spend the night.


I look around the table, everybody is looking at me waiting for my answer.


"Now sis if you're too scared to go tell us and we won't think any less of you."


"Very funny Gabby. I accept your dare."


Present Day

That's how I ended up standing in front of Bailey mansion. Here goes all or nothing. I open the gates to Bailey mansion and walk in. I look towards the mansion and see nothing. No spirit of Owen Bailey. These hauntings are all the imagination of one town scared of its past. This is going to be a piece of cake.


I open the door to Bailey mansion and immediately I'm hit with a burst of cold air. What was that?" I zip up my jacket and walk inside. I go to the living area and I can see the blood stain rugs. This must be where Shannon, Cindy and Cathy were murder.


I feel a presences behind me. No it can't be. The hauntings are not real. The spirit of Owen Bailey is not real. I turn around slowly. There he is Owen Bailey. I'm frozen solid, scared to death. The spirit moves closer to me. I close my eyes and pray.


A few seconds later I open my eyes. The spirit of Owen Bailey is gone. The hell with the dare. I am out of here.


May 19, 2021 21:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.