0 comments

Fiction

505 5th Street apartment 5A at the imposing, menacing Tower apartment building is where me and my husband Jake are taking a tour of the apartment.


Me and Jake are looking for a bigger apartment for our expanding family and the Tower apartments have what we are looking for. We are in luck one apartment has become available.


Today me and Jake are heading to the Tower apartment building to look at the place. Jake is excited to go but me not so much.


I don't know what it is but the Tower apartment building gives me this uneasy feeling. I heard so many stories about the building. Some has been good other's have scared me.


Well, we're here and just like I said the building gives me an uneasy feeling. It's like one of those 12th century castle, even the doorman looks scary.


Me and Jake meet the realtor Mrs. Barnes in front of the building. We say hello to each other and then proceed inside.


Mrs. Barnes introduces us to the doorman Cullen. He just stares at us. Mrs. Barnes tells us not to worry about Cullen and that he's a very good doorman, always on time and always looking out for the residents.


I trust Mrs. Barnes to tell us the truth. If she says me and Jake can trust Cullen then I believe her.


Okay, so we are at the elevators and might I say these elevators looks like it came straight out of the 1920's.


Mrs. Barnes explains to us the owner wanted to keep the elevators just the way it is because it reminded him of a timeless era.


I can understand that. The 1920's was an unforgettable time. I like the way the elevators look. I hope they work.


It took the elevators a good five minutes to come down. Me, Jake and Mrs. Barnes got inside the elevator. Mrs. Barnes hit 5 and up we went.


The elevators are beautiful. Every time I think something bad about the building, I'm proved wrong.


I'm glad I'm proved wrong about the downstairs part of the building. Hopefully the upstairs part of the building is just as nice.


We reach the 5th floor. We got out of the elevator and are heading to apartment 5A.


Apartment 5A is not far from the elevator which is good. The hallway is dimly lit. I do see area where I can put more lights. I ask Mrs. Barnes if there is a chance I can put more lights in the hallway.


She tells me it's okay. That is a plus for me. I want my kids to be safe walking the halls.


Me, Jake and Mrs. Barnes are in front of apartment 5A. Mrs. Barnes opens the door. The lights are already on. Jake enters first followed by me and Mrs. Barnes.


My first impression of the apartment is exactly what we are looking for. It's big so that our three girls have enough space to play. This is another plus.


I can already tell Jake likes the apartment. I see him walking to the bedrooms and then coming out with a smile.


Jake tells me to go see the bedrooms. I walk to the master bedroom and oh my god! It's twice the size of our current bedroom. To the right is a bay window and to the left are two closets.


I walk to the two closets and open the door and boy are these closets gorgeous. They are big enough to fit all my clothes and shoes and big enough for all of Jake's things.


Next, I go see where my kids rooms are going to be. This room is not quite as big. This room is connect to the next room. I'm getting this idea where we can tear down the connecting wall and make the room one big room.


Okay, now I'm starting to get ideas of how this apartment will look like when I'm done with it. The ideas are coming one after another starting with my kids bedroom.


I walk back to the living room and I see more clearly how big the room is. I'm thinking of a bigger couch, a bigger T.V. My family pictures will be in the middle of the living room. My bookcase will go in the corner.


I'm liking what. I'm seeing and again I'm proved wrong. Tower apartments might look scary on the outside, but on the inside it is beautiful.


Next, I go to the kitchen and boy am I amazed. The kitchen is twice as big as the one we have now. The counter top, the cabinets are all beautiful. The fridge is to die for. On top of all the kitchen is a beautiful green color.


I have to say I will love cooking in this kitchen. Outside of the kitchen is a big closet. Wow, I can store so many things from snacks to canned foods.


I feel Jake's presences behind me. he wraps his arms around me and asks me if I like the apartment.


I tell him do, but I don't tell him about the nagging feeling that won't go away. I heard from friends that have rented apartments here and they tell me the neighbors are not friendly, they don't like newcomers, the doorman is a killer and tower apartments is haunted.


I know it's crazy to believe all that nonsense and I really do like the apartment. It's beautiful and big and Jake loves it.


I feel Jake behind me, he always knows when something is on my mind. I tell Jake what I'm feeling. He tells me it's just jitter bugs about moving.


Maybe Jake is right. I love the apartment and I know may girls will love the apartment. The apartment is everything me and Jake have wanted for so long. I know my family will love living at Tower apartment.


"Let's do it."


My love smiles and so do I.


Goodbye and I will see you at our new apartment.



June 01, 2022 22:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.