Nothing Lasts Forever

Written in response to: Format your story in the style of diary entries.... view prompt

2 comments

Creative Nonfiction Sad Friendship

Tuesday, 1st June 2021

Dear Diary,

It had been at least two months since the last time I talked with Dinah. If it was in the past, I would try to contact her but lately, I got enough of her. I got tired of listening to her problems and excuses, but it seems like she never gets tired of talking about them. I feel like she doesn’t care about me at all. It almost feels like our friendship is one-sided. It feels like we are drifting apart, and she isn’t aware of that. I can’t stop myself from questioning were we always like this? I don’t know what to do. I guess the best thing to do is wait and see.

Odetta.

***

Friday, 2nd July 2021

Dear Diary,

Today was a crazy day. We were on a vacation in a cottage in the woods. A fire started somewhere near. It was a close call but luckily nothing happened to anyone. The sad part was that Dinah texted me. We talked about her usual problems. I gave her advice but as always, she said that is not that easy. I wonder how she doesn’t get tired of complaining about the same problems and refusing to do anything to solve them. At times like this, I cannot stand her. After our conversation about hr problems ended, she didn’t ask me how I was doing. Today I could have died in a fire, and she did have no idea about that. I am angry at her and also my heart is broken. I don’t know if I can still refer to her as my friend.

Odetta.

***

Thursday 30th September 2021

Dear Diary,

Today I was supposed to meet with Dinah. We had been planning this day for months now. My schedule was creating a little time limit but yesterday I got some good news that our schedule could be changed. I was so excited to tell Dinah about that. Instead of telling her we can spend more time together I texted her there can be small changes in our plans. I was going to surprise her, but I was the one who got surprised in the end. She texted me back that the place we were going to meet was so far from her that it is better we rescheduled it. I cannot describe the anger and frustration I felt. If the roles were reversed, I wouldn’t mind the distance I had to go to see her. I would cross the oceans for her, but she cannot come to 1-hour distance by public transport to see me. From now on I would do zero effort to see her or spend time with her. I don’t know if she will realize her selfishness is driving me away.

Odetta.

***

Saturday, 2nd October 2021

Dear Diary,

Today Dinah came somewhere really close to where I stay to see me. Unfortunately, this gesture is meaningless to me. She hurt me already and she didn’t even realize the change in my attitude. Like the hurt and anger, I was feeling were not enough she embarrassed me at the restaurant we ate. She acted as if she had never eaten anything at a restaurant. I was shocked. I am not going to say what she did because living that once was more than enough. What a friend she is. I will avoid seeing her as much as I can. Better keep in mind never go to restaurants with her. I wonder if she will ever realize she lost me.

Odetta.

****

Saturday 25th December 2021

Dear Diary,

Unfortunately, I met with Dinah again. In her eyes everything is perfect. We are close as we were in the past, but we are not. It is so sad that she knows me so little. She has no idea that spending time with her is torture to me. Even if we are the same age, she acts like a 10-year-old spoiled brat. Whenever she texts me, she tells something to me or complains about the same old problems. I hope she either realizes how poorly she had been treating me or finds new friends to bother with her problems. I would really like to end my so-called friendship with her, but I don’t have the power to deal with her excuses or accusations. I know she will tell me that I am overreacting and that she has been doing nothing wrong.

Odetta.

****

Saturday 12th March 2021

Dear Diary,

It had been months since I last contacted Dinah and I cannot tell you how amazing it feels. I feel so free. There isn’t someone constantly texting me complaining about things that can be easily solved or asking for advice about anything like I am their mother. I have lots of new friends who are mature and make me feel cared about. They go out of their way to help me or make me happy. Now I realize Dinah had been using me for years now or at least that is what I believe. I am no longer sad, angry, or frustrated. I just don’t care.

Odetta.

***

Friday 1st April 2021

Dear Diary,

Today I ended that my friendship with Dinah is ended. Isn’t it sad that sometimes the people we care about most and trust most are the ones who hurts us? I guess at some point we became blind to the red flags we saw. I wish I could see the truth about Dinah before. So, I wouldn’t have wasted so much of my time being there for someone who would never ever do the same for me. You know what they say better late than never. Even being aware that all the dreams we had together become meaningless, that our friendship is ended and knowing we are walking down different roads don’t make me feel anything. You know this is life and sometimes very close people become strangers.

Odetta.

One way or another everything in life ends.

Well, goodbye Dinah, I wish you the best in life. Hopefully, we never met again.

April 01, 2022 22:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Scarlett Barker
19:23 Apr 03, 2022

It is so sad to watch the people who once were our everything, became no one. I know because I've been there. It is a really heartbreaking but an incredible story.

Reply

Z. A.
10:58 Apr 15, 2022

I'm sorry to hear you experienced that kind of thing. I think we lose those people because they're not meant to be in our lives. It doesn't make it hurt any less but it helps to heal.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.