The Cherry on Top

Submitted into Contest #166 in response to: Start your story with someone saying “I quit!” ... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Fiction Romance

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Tatum slipped into the break room after the busiest rush they've seen in awhile. He was having a hard time getting his thoughts together to talk to his boss. He made his decision last night and getting through these next two weeks would be almost impossible. Marley was watching the register while he got his act together. Leaving her would be the hardest, she only started six months ago but she had become the one person he could lean on for support. They had gone out a few times together after work and talked about their terrible boss, crappy coworkers, and everything else in between. He enjoyed her company and played with the idea of her being his girlfriend. She was beautiful and witty. He knew he loved her but was too afraid to admit it, maybe soon he'd get the chance. 

"Ugh!" Tatum said out loud. "How am I supposed to leave her?" 

Just as he was standing up to get back to work the doorknob turned. He hoped it was Marley, so he could finally tell her how he feels. 

The person who entered though was his boss.

"What are you doing?" Mrs. Crowley asked. "It isn't your break time."

"I needed a breath, did you see the rush we just had? Anyway, it doesn't matter. I wanted to talk to you." Tatum's mind was racing. "I…It's just that. Well, I quit. I'm putting in my two weeks notice today." There, he said it. He didn't want to think about it anymore.

"Oh, really? Is there any way I can change your mind?" Mrs. Crowley thought she was sweet, but she reminded him of a troll. She always had her own best interests prioritized. Never once did she put her employees before herself, and she was always hitting on Tatum. Several times, she almost took it too far. 

"No, I've made up my mind. It is time to move on." Tatum started towards the door. 

"We aren't done yet." Mrs. Crowley smiled and locked the door behind her. 

God, she's horrible. Tatum thought to himself. Almost laughing at the thought of all things Marley has said about her. They nicknamed her Helga. She was short and portly. Her hair was always in a frizzy messy bun on top of her head, and she had the weirdest smell. 

"What could we possibly talk about?" He questioned, getting frustrated. 

"Well, what if I don't accept your resignation? You know the store really needs you right now. I really need you right now." Mrs. Crowley started walking towards him. She had the look of lust and a hint of envy in her eyes. She placed herself directly in front of him, close enough for him to feel her breath. "It's going to be the holiday season in less than a month, quitting now is going to really put me behind. I will accept your two weeks after the holidays. For now though.." She put her hands on his face and leaned in to kiss him. 

Tatum shoved her off. "What the hell are you doing?! I have never given you the idea that this is okay!"

"Oh, come on! You are always flirting with me! I see how you look at me! I know you're so much younger and I, of course, am a married woman. But, you're just so irresistible." She was closing in on Tatum again, moving slowly like a lion about to catch its prey. She reached for his shirt and tried pulling it off him. 

"Mrs. Crowley! Stop it right now!" He pushed her away, and put himself between her and the door. "I am not interested, never have been and never will be. I was kind enough to stick it out this long, deal with this shitty job, your unprofessional behavior, train all the new people, and give you a two weeks notice! This is how you show your gratitude, by coming onto me and groping me?? You know what..I'm done. I quit now." 

Tatum stormed out of the break room and went straight for the exit.

"Where are you going?" Marley asked. She could tell something was wrong, and chased after him.

"If you walk out of that door with him, consider yourself fired!" Mrs. Crowley screamed through clenched teeth, Marley didn't care. She hated this job and she hated Helga. If Tatum wasn't gonna be here then there was no way she was staying. She ran after him and when she caught up, they both looked at each other and laughed. 

"So, you gonna tell me what happened or should I just assume the evil witch finally took it way too far?" 

Tatum looked into Marley's eyes, could he trust her completely? That was humiliating and he didn't even know what to make of it, Did he really lead Mrs. Crowley on? He went over every scenario in his head, over all these years, was there any time he made her think she had a chance? He started to cry, overwhelmed with emotions. Marley had never seen this side of Tatum. She was worried now. Taking him in her arms, she eased him down onto the curb, and they sat in the parking lot for what seemed like hours. Tatum stopped crying a few minutes ago but he didn't seem as if he wanted to talk yet. So, the two just sat there and people watched until the sun started to set.

"Weren't you supposed to go back inside?" Tatum quietly asked Marley.

"Helga said if I walked out after you to consider myself fired. I guess that means we're both out of jobs today." 

"She really is the worst, but you shouldn't have risked your job for me." Tatum elbowed Marley playfully. 

"Do you really think I'd continue working there without you? You kept me sane!" You're the only reason I stayed. In case you haven't noticed, I definitely like you Tatum." Marley braced herself, she finally told Tatum how she really feels and she wasn't sure he felt the same. 

"Really?? Shoot. I…girl, oh my gosh. When I was in the break room and heard the door knob, I was really hoping it was you. I've been wanting to tell you the same thing. But Helga walked in and shit got weird real quick. I tried putting in my two weeks and she trapped me in the room, tried kissing me and yanked at my shirt. After that, all I could think about was getting the fuck out of there." Tatum rushed his words. He was still a ball of anxiety, trying to work out today's events. 

"I am so sorry that happened but you did the right thing! You should sue or at least press charges. Report her to HR." Marley was sincere and wanted to help him.

"Nah, the last thing I wanna do is ever see her again. I want to get as far away as possible, actually. I don't even know where to start from here. I knew coming in today, I was putting in my two weeks but now what?" 

"Well, first things first, let's go get some food, maybe a drink or two and we can go back to my place." 

"Marley, you are so amazing, but I don't even feel like eating at a restaurant right now. How about take out, grab some drinks from the liquor store and rent a movie?" Tatum was optimistic now, he really enjoyed having Marley by his side and knew it was time to ask the question. "One more thing before we go anywhere though.. You're my best friend, have been there with me through everything. Always willing to listen to me whine about how life can suck sometimes, you greet me with a smile every time I walk through the doors of that store. You just sacrificed your job for me. With all of that being said..Marley, will you be my girlfriend? I couldn't imagine being with anyone else." Holding his breath, he waited for an answer.

She grabbed his hands and nearly in tears, started nodding and saying yes over and over again. They both burst into tears and began hugging each other. Tatum kissed Marley's cheek and she blushed, leaning in for a kiss. When the two finally disconnected, they stared into each others eyes and knew everything that unfolded today, was undoubtedly meant to be. Breaking into laughter and finally standing up, they headed for their cars.

Tatum couldn't hold it in anymore. "I love you Marley."

She smiled from ear to ear. "I love you too, Tatum. Meet you at the burger place?"

"Actually, how about you go to the burger shop, you know what I like. I'm gonna grab the movie and drinks for us. Meet you at your place!" Tatum, glowing with happiness, jumped into his car, turned the music up and drove to his favorite flower shop. He had to get Marley the most gorgeous bouquet she's ever seen. The florist, a sweet old lady named Bev, helped him pick out a stunning arrangement, in a precious hand-crafted glass vase. 

"Your woman is very lucky, Tatum. I hope she enjoys these flowers as much as I do. They are the same as the ones my husband picked out for our first date. They are good luck in my eyes!" Bev chuckled.

He kissed the sweet old lady on her cheek and paid her a little extra, as she's like a grandma to him. 

Two more stops and Tatum was finally headed to Marley's apartment. 

She was waiting outside her door with food, dessert, and the biggest smile she's ever had. 

Tatum walked up to her, flowers in hand, as he handed them to her, he kissed her softly and said, "These flowers bring good luck, at least that's what Bev says. Maybe we don't need luck, but you do deserve beautiful flowers."

They went upstairs and enjoyed burgers, the best chocolate pie, and the movie Tatum picked out. 

"I didn't take you for a romantic or sensitive kinda guy. Playful, most definitely but romantic, not even. You are sweet though and I'm glad amidst the chaos, somehow this happened." Marley sighed happily. 

"Oh, I can be romantic and very sensitive. I just never really showed it, guess I never picked up on how much you liked me." Tatum pulled her into him. "Anyway, I've been thinking about what's next. I've been planning on quitting for awhile, and then you came along, so I stuck it out even longer. I have a savings account that I started about a year and a half ago. I wanted to have a cushion for when I finally got the balls to quit. I want to travel for awhile, get out of this town. Taste something different for a change."

"That sounds wonderful. Where would your first stop be?" Marley grew excited and hopeful that he'd ask her to join him.

"Hmm, I always wanted to see the mountains. Maybe, Washington? Oregon, Colorado? The possibilities are endless."

"And as your girlfriend, do I fit into this equation?" 

"Of course! Do you want to come with me? I have more than enough for both of us to be comfortable. We could travel for months, decide if we want to come back here or make roots somewhere else." Tatum was ready to jump in the car and go now.

"I absolutely want to go on this adventure! We should start sorting out details. I have been saving too and I really don't think we need two cars or two apartments while we are gone." Marley knew in her heart she probably wasn't going to come back here.

"You know if we sell one car and move out of our apartments, that would open a lot of money for us too."

"I am so game for that plan! I hate this town and don't plan on coming back."

"Me neither, this town sucks. Let's find somewhere to start a new life!" Tatum was thrilled, everything was coming together better than he imagined, and Marley being on board with all his crazy ideas was the icing on the cake. Her being his girlfriend was the cherry on top. 

Tomorrow was going to be a big day, with a lot of changes, but for now the two were comfortable in each other's arms, spending the night watching romantic comedies, and eating tons of junk food. 




October 05, 2022 20:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.