0 comments

Fiction

Trey Murphy 07/01/1998-10/13/2023. Beloved son, brother and friend. Always in our hearts. Forever missed. I can't believe you're gone. I knew this day was coming. I just didn't expect it to come so soon. I miss you, Trey. You fought hard despite your diagnosis. You were always smiling and you made me smile.

Deep inside my heart, I was crying. I wanted you to stay with me. I didn't want to let you go but God had other plans for you. Trey, what am I going to do without you? We had so many plans.

There were so many things we wanted to do together. Traveling to Europe, going on a cruise, going on a road trip across the country were some of the things we dreamed of doing together.

Now what am I supposed to do? How can I do all these things without? The world is not the same without you in it. My world is not the same without you in it.

I remember all the laughs we had together. I remember all the times you scared me. I wanted to kill you but at the same time hug you. I remember all the good times we had together even the bad times. I don't want to remember the bad times just the good times.

Trey, you were and always will be special to me. I will carry you in my heart and in my memory forever. I will never forget you no matter what is happening in my life.

Each month on the 1st and 13th, I will come to your grave, place flowers on them and talk to you just like I'm doing now. Now comes another hard thing for me to do.

You entrusted me with cleaning out your house, that's what I'm going to do. Goodbye Trey until next month. I get up from Trey's grave and leave the cemetery. I can't believe it's been two months since Trey passed away. I miss him every day of every second.

When Trey got leukemia, I fell on my knees and began to cry. Trey was brave and strong. He lived life until he couldn't live it anymore. I cried every time I saw Trey. He hugged me and told me not to worry. Ever the optimist that's who Trey was. He never wanted me to cry. He always had a smile on his face. That's what I did until the day Trey passed away.

Here I am at Trey's house. I haven't been here since Trey's diagnosis. I made Trey a promise to clean his house and sort his affairs out. He had no family expect for me. I walk up the stairs, put the key in the key hole, turn the knob and open the door.

I walk in, turn the light on and look around. I close my eyes and take a deep breath in and out. I still smell and feel Trey in here. So many memories me and Trey had in this house. Halloween and Christmas parties were epic. Thanksgiving was amazing. Me cooking and Trey attempting to cook.

Trey always hung-up pictures we took together like this picture we took on our summer vacation to Long Island or the picture we took at the pumpkin patch.

This picture is my favorite, the one of me and Trey when Trey had his arms wrapped around me taken during the July 4th fireworks show. What is this? A letter from Trey. I pick up the letter and open it.

Dear Aaralyn

If you are reading this letter that means I'm no longer with you. I love you Aaralyn with all my heart. Not a day has gone by since my diagnosis that you left my side. You were always with me and for that I will forever be thankful. I didn't let my battle with leukemia get the best of me even when all hope was gone. I smiled every day because you were with me. I wanted to live my life the way I wanted too. I refused to let this disease dictate my life.

I dictate my life, Aaralyn. I knew my time on earth was coming to an end. I was prepared for it. I wasn't sad or angry. I didn't want you to feel that way. I know we promised each other that we do a lot of things together. I'm sorry we can't do them together but there is one thing I always dreamed of doing and that is climb Mount Monadnock. I want you to do this for me. I want you to live your life and be happy. I'll be watching over you. Forever and always Trey.

Wow, Trey you always think of me even during your last days. That's what made you a great friend. I will honor your last wish. I will climb Mount Monadnock. Thank you, Trey for being my friend.

I finished cleaning Trey's home. I pack some of his belongings to donate. The rest I'm keeping. I find Trey's climbing gear. He always dreamed of climbing Mount Monadnock. We took climbing lessons together and we climbed a few mountains together. I was scared but Trey always made me feel safe and comfortable.

I don't know what to do about Trey's home. I don't want to sell it. First, I'll go on the climb, then think about what to do with Trey's home.

I make the arrangements for my trip. I take a piece of Trey with me. This is for you Trey to honor your memory and for me so I can learn to live without you. I know you want me to be happy. I'm going to try. I'm going to make you happy.

Wow, Trey you do know how to pick the most beautiful places. Mount Monadnock is a treasure. I can't believe I'm going to do this.

"Let's do this Montgomery."

That voice sounds familiar but it can't be. Trey is gone. I turn around and see Trey's smiling face. I'm stunned, speechless. My eyes can't believe what they are seeing. Trey is standing in front of me. I begin to cry.

"Don't cry. Look at me. Smile and live. Let's climb."

That's Trey never one to dwell on the sad moments. I follow Trey to the hiking trail. I can't stop looking at Trey. The sun is shining off of his face. So beautiful.

"How is this possible?" I ask Trey.

Trey looks at me and says "Anything is possible."

We arrive at the base of the mountain. I take out the climbing gear. "See you up their Montgomery." I smile and begin putting on the climb gear. Here I go.

I begin climbing. One foot after another. I never thought climbing would be this hard. Trey made it look so easy. Stay calm. You can do this. Remember why you are doing this. For Trey. One foot after another. That's it. Just don't look down. Look up. Trey is waiting.

I made it to the top of the mountain. Wow, what a sight. "It's beautiful. Isn't it?" I smile. "It sure is."

"Aaralyn Montgomery, my forever friend. I brought you here to this amazing place to remind you of me, to remind you to live your life, to remember me as I was. Don't mourn my death. Celebrate my life. I love you Aaralyn always and forever."

Trey's climb is what this is and every year going forward, I will climb Mount Monadnock in honor of Trey's life.

I grab Trey's hand. We sit down on the mountain and watch the beautiful view. I soak in every minute with Trey. So beautiful in every way.

October 18, 2023 20:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.