4 comments

Fantasy

A driver crept down Brownie Lane, an eerie street tunneled by vines and ivy. He came to a stop in front of a cottage. The olive home seemed a bit out of place in the middle of nothing.

He made his way to the great wooden, arched door and rang the bell.

Fully prepared to see a hag, with wired, gray hair and a hunched back, the driver was almost startled to see a beautiful woman answer the door. She had luscious black locks down to her back. She wore faded jeans and a button-down flannel.

“Oh!” he said.

“The name’s Aurelia, actually. Can I help you?”

“Uh, no. I—” 

“No? Do you make a habit of knocking on stranger's doors and calling them by the wrong name, mister--”

“Uh, delivery.”

“Mr. Delivery?” she asked.

“No. You.”

“We’ve already established that my name is Aurelia. Have you forgotten yours?”

“Agh. No. I’m sorry. Delivery--I’ve got a delivery for you.” he over-enunciated.

“Now we’re getting somewhere.”

The man handed her a clipboard and said, “Please sign on the highlighted lines.”

Aurelia took the clipboard and began signing away.

The man lifted his hat and wiped the sweat on his brow. He glanced up and saw a peculiar lantern hanging above his head. It was made of a tarnished brass and had a small flame flickering inside. He focused on the flame, uncertain of its color. Perhaps it was the dusted glass around it or, more unlikely, the flame was in fact, an emerald shade.

“Strange.” He whispered.

“Sorry?”

“Oh, I—your home, it’s quite unique.”

“Thank you.” she said.

“I expected an old, ugly, witch to live here.”

“Do you hope to die young, then? Someone who is old; they would’ve lived and seen a lifetime.”

“I—uh.”

“Ugliness, you say? Do diamonds not come from the ground?”

“Damn.” He sighed.

“And to be a witch—would that be so terrible?” she smirked.

“I’m sorry, ma’am.”

“A suggestion for you; Less talking, more seeing. Open ears, less foot in mouth.”

“Right,” He laughed nervously, “Thank you.”


Aurelia went inside and observed the packaging, trying to make out the weathered writing. She hadn’t been expecting a package. And though the delivery man hardly seemed capable of anything ominous, she couldn’t be too careful. 

With a sigh of frustration she went off to her kitchen. There, she had a wall of shelves completely full of drawers and jars with herbs and odds. On the wall adjacent, she had a mantle that reached over her head and black cauldron sitting above a fire with a mushroom broth, bubbling away.

She picked out basil leaves, dried garlic cloves, and a handful of marjoram. She threw them in her molcajete and began grinding.

Once a paste was formed, she dumped it on the package and smeared it. She placed one hand over the package and with the other, she held tight to the triangle pendant around her neck.

She closed her eyes and whispered, “From the blood of my mother to the bones of my kin, I cast out the darkness, and banish evil from within.”

A greenish hue began to glow from within the package, seeping through the cracks. Then a cloud of white smoke puffed up from the box and faded into the air.

With that, she tore the tape and opened the box. Instantly, her knees grew weak, and she reached for something to lean on. But instead, she knocked down her molcajete and it shattered, making her jump with a fright.

“Mamá?” a little voice called out from across the house. “Is everything ok?”

“Yes, my love!” Aurelia replied.

With a wave of her hand, the molcajete shards trembled and then floated back onto the shelf, creating a whole piece once more.

Aurelia put a smile on her face when she heard pitter pattering approaching.

“Mamá, the spiles!” a little girl said with urgency. She came up to Aurelia’s chest with a mane of dark, lush twists. She wore a yellow dress with tattered lace trimming. Aurelia had offered many times to buy her a new one or at least, fix the tears. But Ovette wouldn’t have it. The dress belonged to Aurelia when she was a little girl, and Ovette wanted to be just like her mother.

“What’s this about the spiles?”

“Howard says the sap is ready for harvesting. Isn’t that right Howard?”

Just then, a black raven flew in and landed right on Ovette’s shoulder. He bobbed his head up and down and said over and over, “Sap, Sap, Sap!”

“Mhm.” Aurelia crossed her arms, “You two wouldn’t be colluding to have praline pancakes and syrup for breakfast, would you?”

Ovette and Howard’s eyes enlarged, and they glanced at each other.

Aurelia chuckled. “Well, my broth does need more time, so I suppose we could collect a pail, or two.”

“Ah! Thank you, Mamá!” Ovette squealed. She squeezed tight to her mother and ran out the back with Howard still saying, “Sap! Sap! Sap!”

Aurelia’s smile faded, and she forced a gulp as her fingers grazed the package. From the paste-covered box, she pulled out a red-leather notebook. On the binding were two letters of an initial, A.D.

“Mamá, are you coming?” Ovette called from outside.

“Yes!” she said, “I’m right behind you.”

Aurelia went out her back door and into the vibrant glade behind her house. Shrubs and bushes of lavender, yarrow, alliums, and daisies had all grown in mass up to her shoulders. Monstrous trees surrounded the home, protecting them.

Aurelia took a seat within view of Ovette. She looked down at the notebook and read the binder again. A.D. Although those letters did make up her initials, they were not hers; they were his.

He was her love. He was Ambrose.

300 Years Prior

With the popularity of hunting witches in the west, Aurelia, and her family found a way to hide in plain sight. They ran a bakery on the coast of Spain using the fresh smell of croissants to mask the scent of their potions, spells, and remedies.  

 “Thank you! Come again.” Aurelia said to a patron who bought several grain loaves. 

The bell on the door jingled as they left.

Then again, the bell chimed as the door opened but this time, the jingle continued. Aurelia looked up and was struck by a strapping man with lush twists and coffee skin. He shook the rain from his hair and the metal clasps in every other twist, rung like little bells. 

All at once, the flame in the brass lantern hanging above the door frame flickered from a white flame to a glistening sapphire. The lantern had many magical properties. Aside from never burning out, Aurelia’s family used it as an indicator as the flame would shift color based on the type of being that would enter.

“Can I help you, sir?” Aurelia asked. 

“I’m here for Mr. De Leon. He is expecting me.” 

“Well, I beg your pardon, Mr.--”

“Dorvil. Ambrose Dorvil.” he smiled. 

“Mr. Dorvil,” Aurelia smiled back, “My father has been delayed from business at the harbor. I hope there is no urgency.”

“Well, not for me, really. But, I can’t say the same for these.”

Ambrose set his briefcase on the counter in front of Aurelia and opened it to lay flat. Inside was a delicious display of chocolates. Some were drizzled in caramel while others were wrapped around clusters of nuts. 

“Chocolates?” she laughed. 

“Surprised?” 

“Curious is more like it. You wanted to sell your chocolates alongside our bread?”

“You could. But the intent was to charter them along with your potions and such.”

“You want to sell chocolate as medicine?” she asked, holding in her laugh.

“Have you ever had such delectable sweetness that you felt healed as it touched your lips?” 

Aurelia’s eyes dropped to his mouth and she lost her thought. 

“Chocolate does not have healing or magical properties.” She said matter of factly. 

“Oh, Miss De Leon,” he said, placing his hand on hers. “The right chocolate does indeed, have magical properties.”

She was trapped in his gaze. His smile entranced her and his touch held her heart hostage. 

Suddenly, the door swung open and Mr. De Leon stormed in. He was a rounded man with a gray braid behind his head. He stomped past Ambrose and pushed straight to the back. 

“Estás tarde.” Aurelia’s mother griped. 

“No fue mi decisión llegar tarde, mi amor.” he snapped back. 

As the two bickered on, Aurelia cleared her throat loudly. 

“Papá. Alguien está aquí para verte.” Aurelia said. 

Mr. De Leon came from the back tying a leather apron around his neck. 

“Yes. How can I help–” he cut himself short. He stared at Ambrose with a crinkled nose and great suspicion. 

“Mr. De Leon, sir,” Ambrose adjusted his coat, “I am Ambrose Dorvil, we corresponded a week ago. We arranged to meet today.”

“Our meeting has just been cancelled. You may see yourself out, now.”

“Papá!” Aurelia scolded. 

“I don’t understand, sir.” 

“Oh, no? Well, allow me to elaborate.”

Mr. De Leon placed one hand on top of the other and made a pushing gesture. With that, Ambrose grunted as his body was forced to stand stiff.

“Amor, what is the meaning of this?” Mrs. De Leon cried out as she came from behind.

With one hand extended, Mr. De Leon flicked his wrist and Ambrose’ head jerked back. And with it, so did his hair, revealing the point on the top of his ears.

Aurelia’s heart sank to her stomach and her mother gasped. 

“I’m sure your charmed sweets have entranced my daughter but you cannot trick me, elf!” Mr. De Leon growled. 

“I would never-” Ambrose grunted.

“Leave now, while I let you.”

The hold on Ambrose was released and he dropped to the ground with a thud. He wobbled to his feet and snapped his briefcase shut. He rushed toward the door and glanced at Aurelia before he left. 

Mr. De Leon walked up to Aurelia and held up a finger.

“We do not associate with elves, mi hija. Entiendes?” he asked.

“Si, Papá.” she nodded.


Aurelia did her best to pretend she’d never met Ambrose. For days, she tried convincing herself that he meant nothing and that their interaction was just a result of a charm, a trick he had played on her. But still, the charm lasted longer than she’d expected. She couldn’t get his eyes out of her sight. The thought of his smile made her stomach flutter, and his touch scared her the most. She would betray everything to feel his touch again. 

After an evening in the shop, Aurelia locked the door and began to clean. She wiped the counter and started sweeping the floor when she heard bells behind her. Certain she locked the door, Aurelia balled up her fist and it set ablaze with a golden fire. She turned to strike and Ambrose caught her fist with his hand, ablaze in a blue flame. 

“Ambrose?” she asked with shock. “If my father sees you, he will kill you.”

“He’s far by now. I watched him leave.” 

“You need to leave as well.” she said walking to the door. 

But as she approached, the door closed and locked, and the curtains were drawn on their own.

“Please, let me say my peace.”

“So you can trick me again? I don’t think so.” she said storming passed him. 

“Aurelia, please listen,” he begged, holding her wrist as she passed. There it was again, the touch that rendered her useless and made her breath heavily. 

“You feel it too, don't you?” he asked. “There is magic between us.”

“That’s your charm talking.” she pulled her wrist away. “The same charm that you put on your chocolates that made a fool out of me.”

“I didn’t put a charm on the chocolates, Aurelia! Even if I had, you didn’t eat any.”

“You’re an elf! A trickster!” she said.

“Yes.” he said, stepping closer. 

Aurelia breathed in cocoa and cinnamon and her will began to dwindle. 

“I am both of those things,” he agreed, stepping closer. “But you, beautiful enchantress, have bewitched me.”

“I have not–” she argued.

“Your face has not escaped my mind since I saw you last. The absence of your touch has haunted me. And I fear now, if your lips were to meet mine, I would never recover.” 

“Perhaps you should try your own chocolate.” she whispered. His face inches from hers.

“You said, chocolate didn’t have magical properties.” 

“Oh, but it does!” she sighed. 

Their lips met with urgency and the world around them faded. 


Months passed and Aurelia and Ambrose led on with their lives as if nothing had changed. But in secret, they would use every shadow and every quiet moment to be together. She named him her brownie, and she was his teddy dearest.

“Teddy dearest?” she asked. “How did you manage that?”

“You remind me of a teddy bear.”

“As in a child's toy?”

“Oh, but a teddy is much more than that. A teddy is comfort, and company. A teddy is home.” he smiled, leaning in for a kiss. “A teddy is also quite hairy.”

“Ugh!” she scoffed and he laughed.


As time went on, it became nearly impossible to be apart. Mr. De Leon caught on to their schemes and told Aurelia if she didn’t end the infatuation, he would end Ambrose. So they ran.

“My father will never let us live in peace.” she said. “And he isn’t alone in his thoughts. Many other covens abide by the same.”

“I will take whatever may come. I’ll not be without you.”

Aurelia considered all her options. Even the thought of killing her own father rushed through her mind. But she quickly dismissed it. 

Then, Aurelia remembered the lantern in her family's shop. She dove into the scrolls on the lantern and studied its structure until she hatched a plan.

“The lantern can take us far away. But the spell is complicated and will only support the two of us.”

“How does it work?” Ambrose asked.

“It’ll take time for me to collect the ingredients, but the spell will transport us out of reach of my father.”

“Is that what you want?” he asked.

“Yes, but that’s not all. The spell is powerful. It will send us out of reach and time.”

“Time?”

“Yes. A time beyond my father, my family and yours. Is that what you want?”

Ambrose held Aurelia’s face in his hands. 

“I want to be with you.” he said, planting a kiss on her head. “But first, a promise.”

Ambrose slipped a simple gold band around Aurelia’s finger. She pulled him in for another kiss and then they made a plan. 

While Aurelia gathered the elements for her spell, Ambrose’ family arranged a joining of hands ceremony. 

Days later, they gathered around a fire with a few trusted friends and made a promise that united them in both a human and magical way. 

While Aurelia perfected her spell, they lived in the forest away from all eyes. 

Then one day, Ambrose returned from collecting firewood and found Aurelia in tears.

“Darling! What’s wrong?” he asked. 

“The spell,” she cried. “It won’t work.”

“What do you mean?”

“It is only meant for two. But we are now three.” she said, cradling her belly.  

“Oh, love.” he smiled. “We’ll find a way.” he kissed her lips and then her belly.

“We’ll find a way.”

Soon after, Aurelia woke to the sound of yelling voices. She pulled back the tent curtain to see her father and an angry mob around her tent with torches. She shook Ambrose awake and began throwing things into a satchel. 

“We can outrun them.” she said as tears rolled down her face. 

Ambrose peeked outside the tent and sighed heavily. He grabbed her and pulled her in for a kiss. 

I can outrun them,” he emphasized. “You, and our little miracle will go on to a safer place and time.” he said, placing the lantern on the bed.

“No!” she shoved him away. “I will not be without you.”

Ambrose grabbed the satchel and placed a few more items into and strapped it on Aurelia’s shoulder and she began to sob. He then took a knife and cut a slit on Aurelia’s palm and pushed the lantern into her grasp. 

He pulled out a red-leather notebook where Aurelia’s spell was scribbled and began reciting the words. The lantern’s white light grew brighter as he spoke. Aurelia could feel her body tingle as it began to fade.

She locked eyes with her love as he finished saying the spell. And as the light overcame her, she heard him say, “I love you, Teddy Dearest. Leave the light on for me.”


Present Day

Aurelia breathed in the fresh air as the wind passed through her hair. 

“Mamá, look!” Ovette called.

She laid a pile of acorns at her mothers feet. 

“They’re beautiful!” she said as she tucked Ovette’s hair behind her pointed ear. 

As Ovette ran off, Aurelia gripped tight to the red notebook. She was afraid to open it. Would it confirm the death of her love? She wanted to believe he was alive, but hope seemed to twist in her heart. 

But then, from over the wind, she heard a small chime. She stood and looked in every direction. Then, she heard it again. A delicate jingle from behind. But not from a bell. 

The next wind came, carrying a scent of cocoa and cinnamon and her throat began to tighten. She turned around and he was there. His twists, just as lush, jingled down his back. His full beard, with a few silver linings lifted as he smiled at her. 

“Hello, Teddy Dearest,” he said softly. “I hope I'm not late.”

“No,” she cried, “You’re right on time.” 











December 04, 2021 02:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Boutat Driss
15:16 Dec 06, 2021

nice tale! well done!

Reply

03:17 Dec 07, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alice Richardson
11:41 Dec 06, 2021

A sweet story.

Reply

03:17 Dec 07, 2021

I appreciate it 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.