Prognostication of a Murder and a Dream

Written in response to: Write a story about a character who believes their dreams predict the future.... view prompt

0 comments

Crime Romance Adventure

What are dreams? Have they a meaning? I have been wondering about them for a long time because I have been getting some weird dreams; often in one of the dreams I invariably see six beautiful girls lined up in a room of a hospital and there is a big burly Afr0-American standing in front of them with a dagger. Sometimes, I wake up sweating profusely wondering what the dream means, and sometimes I go to sleep again, and the dream haunts me.

Sometimes, the dream is clear, but I just cannot see their faces. I can see the girls and by instinct, I know they’re terrified, and then at the back of my mind, I’m wondering why they should be terrified, and it is then when I see the Negro.  He’s a massive man maybe about 6 feet plus and he does have powerful biceps, you can see his muscles pulse but what I see in his hand is a stiletto – a pointed dagger. I start sweating and think what’s he planning to do? why should I be getting this dream so often in the night? One night, I just got up sweating profusely, wondering why I should get such a dream. I just can’t explain it and why is it repetitive? is it a signal that something really is going to happen.

Nothing else comes in the dream. I can’t see the location. I can’t see the place and now in my apartment in New York, I am wondering what I should do. New York is such a big city and how does one go around searching in a big city with six or seven girls facing danger? I wonder if the danger is omnipresent and then I look at the small image of Lord Krishna which I had brought with me from India and I hold my hands before that. I say to the Lord ‘guide me if something is going to happen; can I be the instrument to stop it?’

My girlfriend drops in the next day. She’s an American and she looks at me and says,” what happened to you man? you seem to be drained out,”

“I have been getting a terrible nightmare, a dream.”

She looks at me with raised eyebrows, “What’s this dream about, would you like to tell me?”

“Yes, yes I will, “I say, “but first let me get you some coffee and maybe an omelet because I know you like an omelet and coffee both going together.”

She smiles and it’s one of the prettiest smiles I’ve ever seen. I look at that smile, her body slim, waist narrow, flared hips, and small breasts, which of course I’ve seen so many times.

And then I look at her face it’s so beautiful but then I’m in for a bloody shock it’s almost like Muhammad Ali having knocked out Sonny Liston with one punch. I’m floored because now I have an inkling, when I think about the dream that’s one of the faces in it is similar to my girl.

My pulse quickens and I realize that something is happening, the supernatural is trying to warn me through dreams. I am wondering whether I should tell her. I decide against it and all I say, “It's nothing but where are you working? You said you were going to change your job; are you still working at the old office on the 23rd St.?”

“Oh no,” she says, “I no longer work there, I should’ve told you but yesterday I changed my job. You know and I’m now working in a hospital as a caretaker, and I’ve got six girls for the company with me.”

“Six girls for a company?”

“Sorry, not company really but they work with me.”

She kisses me and hugs me and says, “after the coffee and omelet, would you like to go to bed with me.”

“No, “I say,” no I’m not in the mood and I’m terribly tensed up”

“Why should you be tensed up?”

“I am tired.” She looks at me quizzically. My pulse has quickened, and I ask, “give me the address where you work.”

“OK,” she says,” but don’t come there I don’t want the other girls to know that I have a boyfriend.”

She goes away and I am prey to my thoughts. I go to my office at the Empire where I work and then come back home. it’s night; I talk to my girl and ask, “are you coming tonight?”

“No,” she says, “I got a night shift today.”

I wish to cuddle her but fall asleep because I am tired but then the dream comes again. I do not know why but this time the dream is a lot clearer. Then I see the 6 girls and I can see one of them having a face like my love and then I see that massive Negro entering inside with a sure step. I know, he has a stiletto. I can sense it.

 I can see him locking the door and then I can hear one of the girls asking, “who are you, and why are you locking the door?”

I cannot see the man’s face, but I can hear his voice. It’s a voice that makes me shiver and sweat as he says,” I am sent by Lucifer and my job is to take you all to him.”

I wake up with a start. This is the fourth time I have had a similar dream and I get up from my bed and look at my watch. it’s midnight. I wear my overcoat and quickly leave my apartment. I look at the address given by my girl and soon I’m heading towards the place; before going I bow to the deity of the Lord and with a feverish mind say,’ you have given me a warning my Lord help me.’

I take a tab and move towards the hospital address my love had given. I enter inside and want to go in the lift, but the guard wants me to go to the reception. I slowly walk to the reception. There is silence all around and I ask the girl, “I want to meet Sally, she’s my friend, can you tell me where she will be available now?”

“We do not allow girls on shift duty to meet anybody so I’m sorry sir you’ll have to wait till the shift is over.”

I turn away from the reception and then I’m in for a shock. I see that massive Negro walking in, and I know he’s the man I’ve seen in the dream. Nobody questions him or asks him anything and he just walks towards the lift. Who is this man, is he a doctor or a patient? He walks to the lift with authority and enters. He looks at me and I at him and then the door closes.

I stand in front and look at the numbers on the panel indicating the floors as it is going up and then I watch as the lift stops on the 12th floor. Instinct tells me I must follow the man. I press the up button on the left and it comes quickly down. I know this man is on the 12th floor I look around and see the guard looking somewhere else and the girl at the reception is down on the computer. I get into the lift and press the button for the 12th floor.

The lift starts moving up; it’s a fast lift, the latest one and it takes just a minute to reach the 12th floor. I look outside but the corridor is deserted and now I am really sweating and wondering where the big man has vanished. I walk slowly crossing the doors and listening for the sound inside and then I stopped for a door because I can hear your voice it’s a man’s voice and it says,’ girls, I am going to do a rollcall all of you please lineup.’

I put my ear to the door and I can hear a small voice, “doctor we have just done the roll call why do we need to do it again?”

I bang on the door and in the empty corridor, the sound can be heard. After a moment’s silence, the door opens, and I am face to face with the Afro-American. I am wondering is he a doctor? he looks at me and says,” who are you and what are you doing here?”  just behind him I can see the girls all lined up and there is fear on their faces and then I see the man and he has a stiletto in his hand. “You spoiled my game, dear man but everything is for the good because perhaps Lucifer wants a male to give company to the six who I am going to send to him.”

I am now sweating profusely and wondering what to do. The man motions to me to come inside and shut the door but there is a commotion, and I can hear two guards approaching. They are coming down the corridor one of them looks at me and says, “this is the chap who escaped in the lift, catch him”

“No,” I say,” catch this man he’s a killer he’s carrying a dagger in his hand, he’s going to kill these girls.”

The guard looks at me and says, “that is Dr. Baldwin, I don’t see any dagger.”

The man had put the dagger behind his back and as the guards come forward, he shouts, “guards go back and take this man with you.”

“Don’t you know,” I say,” just see, this man has a stiletto in his hand and he’s hiding it behind his back.” The second guard steps forward and says, “show your hands doctor.” He looks at the girls who look terrified and something comes into his man’s mind, and he asks,” are you all OK?”

“No,” my love says,” this man just promises to send us to the devil.”

The guard looks at the man and says, “Dr. Baldwin please come down to the office for a talk. Put your hand forward.” He takes out his revolver. The man now drops the stiletto and it falls silently on the carpet. The guards lead the man away.

Sally comes into my arms and says, “darling I’m so glad you came but how did you know?”

“Do you remember you had asked me why I was so tensed up? it was because I was getting a dream of the same event happening and a man in the dream was saying I will send you to Lucifer.” She looks at me and says, “these are precisely the words this man used.”

I cuddle her in my arms and the other girls just filtered away as the man is taken by the guards. Maybe they will do the investigation. Much later I learned that they’ve been two mysterious deaths earlier in the same place and two girls had been stabbed to death and there was no clue. Who would suspect that the doctor had done this?

I tell my girl, “Come with me damn your shift, I want to live the life I’m so glad you’re alive I want to know, to explore all of you as a bundle of joy.”

As I walk away with her, I am wondering about the dream.  Why did it occur? Why did it repeat in my sleep? I have no answer except it was a supernatural phenomenon.

October 01, 2021 12:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.