A Summer to Remember: Heatwave and Heartstrings

Submitted into Contest #262 in response to: Set your story during the hottest day of the year.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Fiction Romance

A Summer to Remember: Heatwave and Heartstrings

 Finding Unexpected Love in the Hottest Days of the Year

"Today marks the hottest day of the year," the radio announcer declared, his voice crackling with static. "With temperatures soaring above 40°C, we're officially in a heatwave. Stay indoors, stay hydrated, and avoid any strenuous activities."

Poni groaned as she turned off the radio. A heatwave was the last thing she needed. She was allergic to heat—literally. Her condition, known as heat Urticarial, caused her skin to break out in hives and become unbearably itchy when exposed to high temperatures. Now, on what was supposed to be a relaxing summer vacation, she was trapped in the middle of it.

Poni had been looking forward to this trip for months. Her best friend, Lurit, had invited her to a beach house on the coast. It was supposed to be a week of sunbathing, swimming, and sipping cold drinks by the ocean. But the relentless heatwave had turned their dream vacation into a nightmare.

"How are you holding up?" Lurit asked, walking into the room with a glass of iced lemonade.

"About as well as you’d expect," Poni replied, trying to smile. Her skin was already starting to itch, and the cool air from the fan did little to provide relief. "I think I'm going to stay inside today. Maybe read a book or something."

Lurit nodded sympathetically. "I wish there was more we could do. It's just too hot to be outside."

As Poni settled into the couch with a book, she heard a knock on the door. Lurit opened it to reveal a tall man with sun-kissed skin, sandy brown hair, brown eyes, and a charming smile.

"Hi, I'm Lakolie," he introduced himself. "I'm staying next door and thought I'd come by to say hello."

Lurit invited him in, and Lakolie's eyes immediately fell on Poni. "Hey there," he said, walking over to her. "You don't look like you're enjoying the heat much."

Poni shook her head. "I'm allergic to it, actually. It's called heat urticaria."

"Wow, that's rough," Lakolie said, sitting down beside her. "Is there anything that helps?"

"Staying cool and out of the sun," Poni replied. "Which is pretty hard to do right now."

Lakolie smiled sympathetically. "Well, if you need anything, I'm just next door. I'm pretty good at finding ways to stay cool."

Over the next few days, Lakolie made it his mission to help Poni enjoy her vacation despite the oppressive heat. He rigged up a makeshift air conditioning unit using ice and a fan, brought over popsicles and cold drinks, and even set up an indoor picnic when it was too hot to go outside.

Poni found herself looking forward to Lakolie's visits. He was kind, funny, and genuinely cared about making her comfortable. Despite the heatwave, she began to enjoy her vacation more than she ever expected.

There was just one more problem: her wig. Poni had lost her hair during a long battle with an illness, and the wig, which she wore to feel more like herself, made the heat even more unbearable. It was thick and stifling, trapping the heat against her scalp. Taking it off at the beach wasn’t easy either, as the beach was a bit far from the house, and she felt self-conscious without it.

One morning, Lakolie knocked on the door earlier than usual. Lurit had already left for a yoga class, leaving Poni alone in the house. She opened the door, and Lakolie held up a picnic basket.

"Breakfast on the porch?" he suggested. "I figured it's cooler in the morning, and we can catch the sea breeze."

Poni agreed, appreciating his thoughtfulness. They settled on the porch, where the early sun wasn’t yet too harsh. Lakolie had packed fresh fruit, yogurt, and iced coffee.

"This is perfect," Poni said, feeling a rare moment of peace. "Thank you."

As they ate, they talked about their lives. Lakolie was a travel writer, always on the move, experiencing different cultures and climates. Poni shared about her work in education and how she had been longing for this break.

"You're braver than you think," Lakolie said, surprising her. "You handle this condition and still find ways to enjoy life. That's admirable."

Poni blushed. "It's just something I have to live with. But thank you. It means a lot."

As the week progressed, Lakolie's efforts to make Poni comfortable became more creative. He arranged for a local massage therapist to come to the house, knowing the cooling oils used in the therapy would soothe her skin. He even found a local artisan who crafted lightweight, breathable hats, which provided some relief without the discomfort of her wig.

One afternoon, they played board games in the living room, avoiding the peak heat outside. Poni laughed more than she had in months. Lakolie's presence was a balm, and she found herself drawn to his easygoing nature and genuine kindness.

"Ever been paddle boarding?" Lakolie asked one evening.

Poni shook her head. "No, but it sounds fun. I'm not sure how my skin will handle it, though."

"We can go early, just as the sun rises," Lakolie suggested. "The temperature should be cooler, and the water will be refreshing."

Reluctantly excited, Poni agreed. The next morning, they headed to the beach at dawn. The sky was painted with soft pinks and oranges, and the air was pleasantly cool. Lakolie helped Poni onto the paddleboard, guiding her through the motions.

Poni found herself laughing as she wobbled but managed to stay upright. The gentle waves and the cool water splashing against her legs were invigorating. For a moment, she forgot about her condition and simply enjoyed the experience.

One evening, as the sun was setting and the temperature finally began to drop, Lakolie invited Poni to the beach for a walk. The cool ocean breeze felt like a blessing, and for the first time in days, Poni felt truly at ease.

"Thank you for everything," she said, looking up at Lakolie as they walked along the shoreline. "You've made this trip so much better."

Lakolie smiled and took her hand. "I'm glad I could help. I know it's been tough, but I think we've made the best of it."

As they walked, the connection between them grew stronger. What had started as an unexpected encounter turned into something more. Poni realized that, despite the heatwave, this summer had brought her something she hadn't anticipated—a summer fling that felt like it could turn into something more.

When it was finally time for Poni to leave, she felt a pang of sadness. But as she said goodbye to Lakolie, he promised to stay in touch.

The radio announcer's voice crackled once more as Poni packed her bags. "The heatwave is finally coming to an end. Cooler temperatures are on the way."

Poni smiled, feeling a sense of relief. This summer had been far from what she'd planned, but it had brought her something unexpected and wonderful. As she left the beach house, she knew that this was a vacation she would never forget.

Back home, Poni found herself frequently thinking about Lakolie. They texted and called each other often, sharing their daily lives and future plans. Poni realized how much she missed his presence and how he had turned a challenging situation into an unforgettable experience.

One evening, Lakolie called with exciting news. "I'm coming to your city for a writing assignment. How about we catch up and maybe plan another adventure?"

Poni's heart raced with anticipation. "I'd love that. I'll show you around my favorite spots."

As the days passed, Poni's anticipation grew. The memory of their time together under the oppressive heatwave now felt like a cherished chapter in her life. The unexpected summer fling had blossomed into something more meaningful, giving her a sense of hope and excitement for the future.

When Lakolie arrived, their reunion was filled with warmth and joy. They spent their days exploring the city, visiting local cafes, and enjoying each other's company. Poni introduced Lakolie to her friends, who immediately took a liking to him.

One evening, as they sat on a park bench watching the sunset, Lakolie turned to Poni. "This summer has been unexpected in so many ways, but meeting you has been the best part. I want to see where this goes, Poni. What do you think?"

Poni smiled, feeling a rush of happiness. "I feel the same way, Lakolie. Let's see where this takes us."

As they sat together, watching the sky turn brilliant shades of orange and pink, Poni felt a profound sense of contentment. The summer that had started with a heatwave had brought her something she never anticipated—a chance at love and a renewed sense of adventure. And she was ready to embrace it with open arms.

August 03, 2024 20:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.