5 comments

Drama Romance Friendship

"Hi Cherry, how are you?"

"OMG! Mike..... Am I dreaming or what? I can't believe that you are standing before me. So good to see you dear."


So guys, we came to know about our two leads of the story, ya that is Cherry and Mike. So let's introduce them.

Cherry, Cherry is a 23 years old baker who use to own the best bakery in the town. She got the bakery from her father in heredity and due to her father's demise at a young age she took the responsibility when she was just 18. Now she was an expert baker and a very smart business woman.

Mike, Mike was Cherry's old neighbour. They use to play when they were kids but then Mike's family shifted to another place, when Cherry was 10 and Mike was 13 and both the friends were departed. No contact was there between them but let's continue our story about what happened when they meet after so long.


"So you recognized me so early, Cherry. I didn't expected that from you."

"How can I forget the most beautiful person I have ever met in my life."

"Whatever."

Both started giggling.

"So Mike, what dragged you here after so long?"

"Ya I am here for my new project. And ya for completing my project, I want you by my side dear."

"I'll always be with you, my dear." A smile came on Cherry's face which made her red, indicating some romantic feelings for Mike.

"I was knowing your answer dear. So I am going to open a new branch of Chuckles, my company in this street."

"Chuckles, what is Chuckles, the bakery? "

Cherry asked in a much disturbed tone.

"Ya I am very happy that you have heard the name. Anyway I also remembered that your dad too had a bakery but when I heard of his demise I thought that the bakery would have closed but it is still here, whom did you sold it? Anyways I'm going to give it a huge competition."

"So, you are the owner of Chuckles the most famous bakery of the entire country. I am very happy to listen that, dear."

"Ya, anyways who own this company?"

"We didn't sold it or rented it, Mike. I use to run the bakery, it's mine."

"Cherry but I actually was not knowing, you told that you were going to be an engineer so I thought that you surely would have sold it."

"Mike, it is, it was and it always will be the shelter, the shed on our head which our mom dad gave us, for our protection in their absence. I had no other option than to run this bakery in my parents absence, to feed myself and my little brother."

"Okay."

Mike was disturbed after the conversation.

"So how is your brother Denny, is he well."

"Ya he is well."

"Okay then we'll meet soon, I am just staying in your neighbouring house."

"Ya, bye."


Cherry and Mike found an invisible line between them in the form of their bakeries, which was not allowing them to come near each other. Both of them started moving on their own paths forgetting about the day when they met. No friendship, no relationship was left just the relationship to smile was left between them.

Soon Mike's Chuckles was also started and Cherry's Yummy bakery was clearly facing trouble because of the fame of Chuckles. Day by day, Cherry's profit was decreasing.

One day, Cherry placed a board of 50% discount as it was her mom dad's death anniversary. She hoped for a long queue there but the same board was there before Mike's shop as it was the anniversary of his shop. A very few came to Cherry's shop and a long queue was there before Mike's shop.

Cherry thought it was an intentional step from Mike to stop Cherry from earning.

Cherry started working very hard, by introducing new recipes every day but all was in vein. After all her efforts she considered it as her failure and decided to sell and bakery and leave the town.


Suddenly a circular came to her workplace which mentioned about the town's annual holiday festival which was going to happen again after about 5 years.

Reading it Cherry remembered her father preparing for the festival. She remembered the day, the first day of the festival 5 years ago when her father was about to arrive at the place with his very special and secret recipe, but unfortunately her parents couldn't arrive there and the dish was never served. Cherry decided to took part in the annual festival and present that special dish of her dad for completing her father's incomplete work.

But she was terribly upset with Mike who booked the same stall which Cherry's father used to book everytime. Cherry ignored him and booked another stall, but day by day Cherry's feelings for Mike was vanishing. Now Cherry was not even smiling at Mike.


On the very first day of the town's annual festival, Cherry came with each and every new flavours of cookies, cakes, rolls and the flavours were really unexpected. And ya she even served her dad's special flavoured cake.

Mike came there and wished her luck but Cherry didn't wished him or responded to his wish. The festival started and it was completely in Mike's favour but soon after few hours, the scenario was completely changed. Cherry's stall had a no. of people and were very happy with her variety of refreshing flavours. Looking at the queue Mike smiled. Cherry was a bit confused and a bit ashamed looking at Mike's smile as it was clearly visible that Mike was happy with her success. After 7 days the festival was completed and Cherry's dishes took the fame of the festival and, the special dish of her dad was awarded as the best dish of the festival. Cherry was very happy but more satisfaction and happiness was visible on Mike's face.


Cherry went to Mike and asked," Mike, I am very happy today, that I stole the festival."

"Ya so am I dear."

"Really?"

"Ya. Why are you asking so."

"Mike you are my rivalry, you faced a lot of loss because of my dishes, still you are happy or just trying to be."

"Look Cherry I think now we should clear the line of misunderstandings and competition. I know you are unhappy with my bakery, you faced a lot because of my bakery, but as a businessman I invested a lot here and if I close this bakery for your profit, then due to the loss, apart from me my family would also be the sufferers. So it was not a proper solution. So I continued to think what else I can do to save our friendship as well as my bakery but I don't got any answer so I think it would be better if we choose one option, either be friends or the rivals. Please help me to find a solution. "

"What if I choose friendship? You will leave the place?"

"No if you choose the friendship option then we have to forget each other as a rivals and just look each other as a friend. You know the badminton tournaments where both of us were the final competitors of the game but we never saw each other as rivals outside the game we always forget about the game outside the ground , so can we just be like that, Cherry. I really need you Cherry, you know why I choose this place for work? Because I was a depression survivor and every treatment failed, then just as a chance my mom thought of sending me to you because she still remembered that your smiling face never failed to make me smile. I forget every worry looking at you my dear. Though you consider me your rival but please don't leave the place, I don't want to return to that bleedy state of depression. Please."

Cherry started crying and she hugged Mike tightly.

Then she told, "Mike I don't want to be your friend."

Mike got shattered and started walking, suddenly Cherry called him, sitting on her knees with a ring in her hand, "Mike, can I be your better half? Will you marry me?"

Mike agreed and both kissed on the street.


So this was Mike and Cherry's love story, today Mike and Cherry both are busy with their own companies sometimes Chuckles in lead sometimes Yummy but Ya today Yummy is also in a fight of becoming the best bakery in the country. Their love, friendship always helped both of them in living the life but their rivalry helped them in becoming better and better day after day.

THANKS FOR READING.......🙂🙂🙂

December 07, 2020 13:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Writer Maniac
01:58 Dec 17, 2020

My critiques: 1. I feel like you can improve a lot more in terms of dialogue. Really start observing how people talk to each other normally. They don't call each others' names so much. 2. "So guys, we came to know about our two leads of the story, ya that is Cherry and Mike. So let's introduce them. Cherry, Cherry is a 23 years old baker who use to own the best bakery in the town. She got the bakery from her father in heredity and due to her father's demise at a young age she took the responsibility when she was just 18. Now she was an ex...

Reply

Dhruti Chauhan
08:31 Dec 17, 2020

Thank you so much for your remark and I will definitely try to improve in my next story. And I am sure this will help me a lot in my next writing works.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhruti Chauhan
08:32 Dec 17, 2020

Thank you so much for your remark and I will definitely try to improve in my next story. And I am sure this will help me a lot in my next writing works.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Hetal Chauhan
14:50 Dec 07, 2020

Nice story , keep it up👌🏼

Reply

Dhruti Chauhan
18:45 Dec 07, 2020

Thanks for your valuable remark. 🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.