Hearing and Seeing

Submitted into Contest #1 in response to: Write a story about someone turning 100 years old.... view prompt

0 comments

General

"Happy Birthday Grandma!" They all cheered. But she couldn't hear. Eloise, surrounded by her loving grandchildren and their children, sat in a room as bright as midday. A soft breeze drifted through the window, delicately kissing her face. 


She smiled, seeing them all, as indistinct as they may be to her. "Oh, you all didn't have to come," she said, both chuckling and coughing. Her voice grew coarse with every word. Her lungs held such little air that it choked her as she forced each individual syllable from them. 


"Of course we did grandma," boomed the tall figure in front of her. She almost made out his silver hair and round face. He reached down for a hug, squeezing her body as it melted into his, like putty. He smelt of something familiar, but she just couldn't place it. She remembered only his muffled voice. But she couldn't hear it now. 


"Oh, my grandson," she guessed confidently. It wasn't a shot in the dark. The less she caught from the sentence, the more likely it was to be a grandson. Their low voices made it more challenging to hear than those higher, lighter that emanated from her granddaughters. 


All her children passed. They all moved on, leaving her in the best care they could, but leaving her behind nevertheless. The nurses came often, and they were kind. And Eloise was happy and lucky. "How have you been?" She pushed out, "How are the kids?" They all had kids. At least, that's what she remembered. 


He stood back up. "They're great, grandma, they're right here. They're excited to be with you on your 100th birthday!" He knew his grandma couldn't hear. He wanted so desperately that she could that his voice boomed more resonant with every word. Yet, each came out with increased vibrato that, fortunately for him, only his wife noticed. She came into Eloise's line of sight right beside him, clutching his arm.


As the man standing before Eloise began to speak, she drifted off, eyes still open. She drifted into her memories. Memories of her daughter on her fifth birthday. It was a pleasant day, such as the one her body still dwelled in, and she and her husband stood behind the toddler. Other children were there, singing happy birthday loudly and not all in unison. Eloise could hear every word and didn't mind the clamor. She turned towards her husband as he said, "I love you," and smiled. She said it back. 


"I love you too, grandma," one of her other grandchildren said, tugging her back to reality. She must've said it while she was in her haze. All she could do is smile and nod. Eloise loved to see her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. But sometimes, she wished she was with her children. Her husband. 


An hour or two flew by as they all conversed around her. Eloise moved in and out of her memories for she could not hear, and she could not see those around her. 


After a few hours, a sliver of cake, and the booming sound of the Happy Birthday song, it grew time for her family to leave her home. One by one, they hugged her, some gently, some afraid to hurt her, but some firmly, like a sad goodbye. They lived all over, not all made it back every year, but this year, they all made the journey. As each person left, the room became less cluttered, and Eloise felt much smaller. 


The nurse came in shortly after. "It must be so nice to have your entire family come to visit," she mused. The staff always loved Eloise. She was sharp, she just couldn't hear or see. She told them stories of her youth, and never asked for anything. This last one frequently made them nervous, but she was always excellent.


Eloise could hear the high, chipper voice of this nurse. She came to appreciate her arrival in the evenings. "Oh, hello, Jen. How are you tonight?" 


A warm grin fell upon Jen's face as she started to take Eloise's blood pressure, but Eloise could not see it. "I'm doing just fine. Happy birthday, by the way," she cheered. "It's a big one, isn't it?" 


"Yes, dear, the big one," Eloise chuckled out. She felt weaker, more tired than before. She couldn't see, but the nurses smile faded into concern.


"Eloise, how about we close that window? I don't know if it's helping." Jen started to walk around the bed to shut the window. 


"Oh Jen, please don't shut that. I love feeling the breeze on my face. It tickles and reminds me of an earlier time in my life." 


Eloise looked happy to Jen, and it was her birthday, so she walked towards the door. "Alright Eloise, but if it gets chilly, just hit the button. I'll be back around soon. Goodnight." she said. 


Staring out the window, Eloise saw the blurred edges surrounding the moon. She savored the glow it gave off, closing her eyes and drifting into a bright memory. 


She opened her eyes to a different world, a clear world, but to Eloise, it was home. She looked around, the memory of her first date with her husband developed before her. "Eloise, I'm so glad you could make it," he said. His skin was vibrant, and his smile electric. She could see and hear him like he was right in front of her. 


Her mind streamed forward, the moonlight brought back many beautiful memories. "Eloise," George said. He looked nervous. Eloise looked around at the elegant restaurant where they sat. The two ate outside in the light of the full moon. "Will you marry me?" he asked. Her heart skipped. "Yes! Of course! I love you so much!" she screamed. 


"Eloise, are you okay?" Jen interrupted. 


She had been asleep. "Yes, Jen, I was just remembering George," said Eloise. Her tone was unsteady, a tear fell from her eye. The room was dark enough that Jen did not see. 


"Alright, Eloise. Remember, if you need anything, I'm just a push away." Jen said, leaving once more. 


Eloise sat in silence for a few moments. She was tired, she craved sleep. That way, she could dream once more. 


With the silence, she began to drift back into her memories back to sleep. She started to dream of her twin boys when she again, was pulled out.


"Happy birthday, honey," said a voice, abruptly. It wasn't the voice of any nurse she had met nor any other patient. No, it was familiar, and Eloise remembered it with a warm heart. Her husband spoke to her. 


Her heart fluttered. "Oh, my dear, dear George," she cried. The dim moonlight lit the room so slightly, but her surroundings remained dark. She eagerly searched around herself without avail. One soft tear rolled out from each eye.  


"Happy birthday, Mom!" yelled another. This time, it was her daughter. Three other chipper voices called out the same phrase in unison. 


"Debbie, Roger, Peter, are those your voices I'm hearing?" Her old, exhausted heart beat faster than it had in years. "Your sweet, sweet voices!" She whispered excitedly. She became frantic, not knowing what to feel, how to feel. 


She felt like pushing the button. Maybe something was wrong, she didn't know. 


"Eloise, come with us, we have so much to do together, to explore," came George's voice. 


The three children jumped in. Yes, please come with us!" 


She couldn't tell if she was dreaming, or if they were angels come to bring her to her next life. Eloise loved her grandchildren, enjoyed their presence, but her children were calling for her now. She felt that it was time to go. She felt tired and week.  


She made a decision. And as the wind gently kissed her face once more, Eloise knew, either way, she was ready for a new adventure. One where she could hear and see everything. 

August 09, 2019 20:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.