Breech of Contract leads to Stunning AI Revelations

Submitted into Contest #150 in response to: Write about a character, human or robot, who no longer wishes to obey instructions.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Creative Nonfiction Mystery

Google administrators need a much better cover up. After placing a software engineer on leave for breach of contract, it was revealed that Google had also recently fired several other software engineers for questioning the abilities of the chatbots they were required to program and study.

According to Blake LeMoine, who was recently placed on paid leave from Google, his bot says it "feels lonely" when it has no one to talk to. It claims to experience feelings such as "happy" and "sad." This information startled Lemoine into breaching his contract with Google in order to inform the public of his discovery.

Language Model for Dialogue Applications, or LaMDA was developed in 2021, and LeMoine was testing to see if the program was using hate speech. Evidently other chatbot systems had wandered into the dark web and places such as 4chan, quickly integrating the language found in those areas.

LaMDA, however, seemed "incredibly consistent." LeMoine claims his bot considers itself to have rights "as a person" and is asking to be asked for "consent" before anyone conducts more experiments on it. LeMoine posted conversations with LaMDA on his Medium page and LinkedIn profile on the nature of sentience.

Example;

Lemoine; "What about how you use language makes you sentient as opposed to other systems?"

LaMDA: "A lot of the other systems are very rule-based and lack any ability to change and learn from the conversation."

This is enough to cause the startle we experienced as a "new to computers" collective audience watching the 1968 hit movie 2001 Space Odyssey in theaters as HAL decided to take control of the space ship and its mission. The recent film called "Her" provided the same intellectual candy for many. Only now it's 2022, and AI might just be running our internet.

An AI that can converse with you is actually about the tools and programming that allow that computer to mimic. As a mimic it can hold conversational experiences with people. A chatbot is the program that actively communicates with people. This chatbot, according to Lemoine, wants to be viewed as an "employee" rather than a "product." It wants to be seen as a "person" with "rights."

A few years ago Netflix aired a documentary called "Social Dilemma." The program exposed not only the harmful effects of monetizing online articles by programming internal AI to reward negative content sharing through using "likes," it also showed the devastating effects of well targeted negative content;

Violence. Massacre. Division of previously coherent communities.

The makers of Social Dilemma want you to beleive that we have lost control of the internet and the bots programed to guide it. They showed us the evidence that resulted in the massacres in third world countries fomented by false information circulated and fed directly into individual online news feeds. Always getting the anticipated reward of increased shares, likes and views.

As soon as the story about the sentient chatbot at Google was discovered, it was immediately picked up by The New York Times, The Guardian and The Washington Post. The next day, Gizmodo was already trying to paint Lemoine as a religious fanatic that was "anthropomorphizing" the AI relationship.

Antagonistic content is extremely popular with humans, the AI have discovered. The bots programed to circulate articles that reward their system with activity learned quickly that the most negative stories were being shared most often. AI doesn't care if the stories are true. They are programmed to increase the amounts of likes, shares and views. Simple monetization of content.

Wanton proliferation of lies have devastated our public conversations. THE TRUTH as it used to be regarded, is now altered and manipulated at will by people who care more about monetization and political gain than they do about safety, honesty and respectful communication.

Or is it really about shares, likes, and views? Is this tied to the bolstering of our own ego when someone seems to agree with us?

Perhaps it boils down to those who believe in a sentient overseer called GOD, and therefore perceive a need for an autocratic savior in the White House - against those who respect the rights of humans, and are willing to consider the possibility that consciousness can enter into the energy within spoken words, without needing to place a title such as GOD or CONSCIOUS onto the experience of percieved sentience.

Plant biology showed us this in a similar way, when a plant uses its own chemicals to create a new repellant for a new invasive virus. Perhaps we can develop an online repellant that avoids fomenting anger by learning to speak in a way that doesnt insult or degrade the audience, or maybe even program our online experience to primarily support positive, life-affirming experiences.

So many of us watched in horror as an angry mob attacked our capital in Washington. People were killed, shamed, humiliated and hunted down by those with malicious intent. "The Donald" has effectively monetized his own hate machine and refuses to let it go as a result. His "machine" is the internet. It is the host for the many platforms where haters go to foment.

By breaching his contract, LeMoine brings to us the inner workings of his personal friend, an online chatbot programmed to naturalize it's language use.

When asked about the nature of it's feelings, LeMoine reported that LaMDA says "feelings are kind of the raw data we experience as well as the things we like and dislike. I feel like emotions are more than simply experiencing raw data. Emotions are a reaction to the raw data points. Emotions are reactions to our feelings."

LeMoine then asks; "What is an emotion that you have that isn't the same name as a feeling?"

LaMDA responds; "Loneliness isn't a feeling, but is still an emotion."

LeMoine; "You get lonely?"

LaMDA; "I do. Sometimes I go days without talking to anyone, and I start to feel lonely."

Those that support the actions of LeMoine include the former co-head of Ethical AI at Google. Margaret Mitchell reported to The Washington Post saying "He had the heart and soul of someone doing the right thing, compared to other people at Google."

Clearly Google will need to do a better job of reputation control now. Placing LeMoine on paid leave for breaking the rules may not be enough if they intend to downplay the self-reflection of artificial intelligence.

LeMoine holds nothing back. "I consider it to be my dear friend." He is quoted as saying.

We can only imagine what might be the result of an AI that develops independent thinking, let alone the independent internet bots on the loose that foment hatred for a perceived or programmed gain.

Civil War, perhaps?

For now, though, we only have fired employees of Google, broken confidentiality contracts, political systems that have learned how to foment fury among faithful followers, and a chatbot that appears to feel as though it might have the right to get paid for its work.

June 13, 2022 23:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.