High paying house watch

Written in response to: Write a story that starts with the line “So, what’s the catch?”... view prompt

0 comments

Crime Thriller Mystery

"So, what's the catch?" asked Jack skeptically.

He had been wandering around the bustling city all day, looking for a job. As a recent college graduate, he was desperate for work and had been handing out resumes left and right. That's when he saw the sign: "Help Wanted - High Paying Job". It was a small, nondescript building tucked away in an alley, but the sign caught his eye.

When he walked in, The reception area was well-lit and welcoming, with light beige walls and plush, comfortable seating arranged in small clusters. Soft instrumental music played in the background, adding to the calming atmosphere. A large potted plant in the corner of the room added a touch of greenery and life to the space.

The reception desk was situated in the center of the room, with a polished wood surface and a computer monitor on top. The friendly receptionist sat behind the desk, with a warm smile on her face as she greeted visitors.

In addition to the seating areas, there were a few informational posters hung on the walls, providing resources and information about mental health and wellness. A bookshelf was tucked into one corner of the room, stocked with a variety of reading materials on mental health and self-help.

After reviewing the reception area, he then went there, where he was greeted by a friendly receptionist who handed him an application and asked him to fill it out. The questions were straightforward enough: name, education, work experience. But as he read through the final section, he couldn't help but feel a twinge of unease.

The section was titled "Additional Information" and asked for some personal details that seemed irrelevant to the job. Things like his favorite color and his biggest fear. Jack hesitated, wondering if this was some kind of weird psychological test. But he needed the money, so he filled it out anyway.

A few days later, he received a call from the company inviting him to an interview. When he arrived, he was surprised to find that he was the only candidate. The interviewer, a middle-aged man with a stern demeanor, asked him a few basic questions before getting to the heart of the matter.

"So, what's the catch?" Jack asked again, unable to shake off the feeling that something was off.

The interviewer smiled slyly. "No catch, Jack. Just a simple job with great pay."

Jack raised an eyebrow. "And what does the job entail?"

The man leaned forward. "We need someone to watch a house. It's a beautiful mansion on the outskirts of town, and the owner is away on vacation. All you have to do is keep an eye on things and report any suspicious activity. You'll be paid handsomely for your time."

Jack couldn't believe his luck. It seemed too good to be true. "How long is the job for?"

"Just a week. Easy money, right?"

Jack hesitated for a moment, but ultimately decided to take the job. He was desperate for money, and it didn't sound too difficult.

The first few days were uneventful. Jack spent his time watching movies and playing video games, occasionally taking a stroll around the property to make sure everything was in order. But on the fourth night, something strange happened.

He was sitting on the couch, watching a movie when he heard a noise outside. It sounded like footsteps. He paused the movie and listened, but heard nothing else. He figured it was just his imagination playing tricks on him, so he shrugged it off and went back to watching the movie.

But the next night, the same thing happened. This time, he was sure he heard someone outside. He grabbed a flashlight and headed outside, but saw nothing. Just as he was about to go back inside, he heard a noise coming from the woods behind the house. It sounded like a twig snapping.

Jack's heart began to race. He had a bad feeling about this. He considered calling the police but decided against it. He didn't want to look foolish if it turned out to be nothing.

The next day, he decided to investigate the woods. He made his way through the thick brush, feeling a sense of dread growing with every step. And then he saw it: a small, rundown shack hidden behind the trees.

As he approached the shack, he heard the sound of someone inside. He hesitated for a moment, wondering if he should turn back. But his curiosity got the better of him. He pushed open the door and stepped inside.

What he saw made his blood run cold. The shack was filled with stolen goods - jewelry, electronics, and other valuables. And in the corner, he saw a figure hunched over a table, furiously scribbling notes.

The person looked up and saw Jack, and his eyes widened in surprise. Jack recognized him as one of the candidates he had competed against during his job search. The man had always seemed a little off, but Jack had never suspected him of being a thief.

The man stood up and backed away slowly, his hands raised in surrender. "Don't call the police," he pleaded. "I just needed the money. Please."

Jack didn't know what to do. He was torn between his sense of duty and his sympathy for the man. He had never been in this kind of situation before. He decided to call his boss and explain the situation.

His boss arrived shortly after and was shocked to see the stolen goods. He thanked Jack for his vigilance and called the police. The thief was arrested, and Jack was hailed as a hero for uncovering the criminal activity.

But despite the praise and the reward money he received, Jack couldn't shake off the feeling that he had been used. He realized that the strange questions on the application and the lack of other candidates were all part of a plan to lure him into this situation. He felt violated and betrayed and vowed never to be so naive again.

In the end, the experience taught Jack a valuable lesson: to always be vigilant and trust his instincts. He knew he would never forget the strange job that had led him to this unexpected adventure, and he felt a newfound sense of confidence as he stepped into his next chapter.

March 09, 2023 06:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.