Sambas and Birdsongs: A Tale of Two Cities

Submitted into Contest #248 in response to: Write a story titled 'A Tale of Two Cities'.... view prompt

12 comments

Romance Fiction Adventure

João Santos, Music Journal, April 1, 2024, Rio de Janeiro 


They say once you lose your groove, you never get it back. But they are always wrong. I climbed on the mossy rock in the heart of Tijuca Forest and closed my eyes, letting the sounds resonate. The rustling of the breeze, birds chirping, and a waterfall's distant roar vibrated the earth beneath my feet. This was the place my Mom, Beatriz Santos, had taken me before she passed away. Growing up, we camped in this secret spot and explored the Rainforest together. Mom taught me to appreciate diversity and to let my heart and soul be my compass. She would say that life is about duality, the highs and lows. When I became a Samba star, she said I had reached the top of the mountain, but I could eventually see the dips into the valleys again. 


I began to sing at the top of my lungs, letting the music flow out of me and blend with the wild orchestra all around me. The haunting yelps of the toucan echoed through the trees, blending with the melodies of the macaw in the distance. The croaking of frogs added a deep bass line to the mix. As I continued to sing and listen, I realized that the sounds of the Rainforest would be the perfect background tracks for my comeback album.


My phone buzzed, and I retrieved it from my pocket, curious to see what notifications awaited me. As I scrolled through my missed calls and messages, my manager, Eduardo Lima, texted me. He checked to see if I had found my inspiration in the Rainforest. Instead of responding with a simple yes or no, I replied with an exciting idea percolating in my mind.


Me: I want to have a fundraising concert for the Rainforest. Can we make that happen?


Eduardo: Absolutely! That's a fantastic idea, João. When were you thinking of having it?


Me: In the fall, get as many people involved as possible.


Eduardo: Sounds like a plan. Let me start looking for sponsors. Do you have any specific ideas for the concert and venues?


Me: My new direction combines traditional Brazilian rhythms, modern styles, and blended natural sounds. The Jeunesse Arena is perfect for music events in Rio.


Eduardo: Wow, that sounds promising. I love all your ideas. I'll contact the Ornithology Institute in São Paulo to coordinate the fundraising and ensure the money goes where it's needed most."


Me: Thanks. I'm passionate about this and plan to do it in homage to my Mother. I'll talk to you next week when I get home.


Do you remember when Madonna reinvented herself over and over? I need to rise from the ashes, be reborn in my art, or be finished in the music industry. I set up my equipment and started recording the otherworldly rhythms of nature to help me transform my genre. João Santos would not be a has-been at 32 years old. 


****


Dr. Ana Luiza Oliveira, Ornithologist, Field Notes

Date: May 13, 2024  

Location: São Paulo, Brazil

Subject: Green Parrots


Procedures: When I arrived at Trianon Parque, I noticed the brilliant green parrots fluttering around. With the help of my binoculars, I carefully observed their movements and set up some advanced audiovisual recorders to capture their distinct calls. My primary goal was identifying different species and gaining insights into their behavior. By analyzing their patterns, I hope to discover fascinating insights into cross-species communication.


Observations: One thing that struck me was the green parrots' diet, which consisted mainly of fruits, seeds, and nuts. They devoured apples, bananas, and mangoes, and I watched as they cracked open nuts with their beaks before eating the insides.


Appearances: I spotted a rare Rio Toucan in my urban jungle today. Its bright orange bill was so impressive! The rest of its body was primarily black, but it had a white throat, rump, and red vent. The toucan's eyes were surrounded by orange and blue skin, and its long tail was brightly colored. Its feet were zygodactyl, with two toes pointing forward and two toes pointing backward.


In contrast, the parrot has beautiful bright green plumage, a short tail, and a curved beak. Its unique features include the red patch on its forehead and the yellow patch around its eyes.


Birdsong and communication: A species has always been thought to have its unique language. Distinct birdsongs served multiple purposes-establishing territories, attracting mates, and warning of predators. I witnessed some green parrots engaging in a unique form of communication, playing in front of traffic cameras and using their feathers to signal aggression or submission. Others displayed courtship behavior, their wings flapping in an elaborate display of love.


****

Trianon Parque, São Paulo


The emerald-feathered parrot and the vibrant toucan rendezvoused amid the São Paulo urban jungle, perched atop their towering trees. They gazed upon the disheartening sight of another patch of verdant green consumed by urban development.


"Hey there, Greenie! How's life treating you?" asked the toucan, flapping his wings.


"Oh, just hanging in there, Toucy! It's tough with all the construction and pollution. But I'm feeling optimistic since the clever scientist Ana, the ornithologist, started showing up. She's here to help us out," Greenie replied, ruffling her tail feathers.


"The Ana? The one who saved the Rio de Janeiro macaws from the illegal bird-fighting trade? Wow, that's great news! I hope she can help us too," Toucy said, tipping his bill and making a loud, raucous call.


"Yeah, she's been studying our habitat and behavior for years. I heard she's trying to find ways to preserve our home and reduce pollution," said Greenie, preening her feathers.


"That's fantastic! We need more people like her to protect our dwindling Rainforest," said Toucy, spreading his bill in a smile. " I hope she can get them to listen."


"Me too, Toucy. Me too," Greenie replied, looking up at the pollution-filled sky. Let's hope for the best."


Just then, Ana emerged from the bushes with a notebook and binoculars. "Look, there is Ana now!" Greenie exclaimed, flapping her wings. Well, you know how us birds always have to stick together, and I thought maybe you'd want to stay here in São Paulo with me," she said, dancing along the branches and twittering.


"Hmm, I don't know, Greenie; I'm content in Rio with all the beautiful beaches and mountains to explore," Toucy said, shifting his perch.


Greenie said, jumping to a closer branch, "Oh, come on! São Paulo has a lot to offer, too. You'd love it."


"I'll stick to my home in Tijuca Forest. It's full of rhythm. Plus, São Paulo has traffic cameras and are watching our every move," Toucy said, craning his neck at a nearby camera.


Greenie cawed, "Yeah, that's true. At least we can fly over it all, right? "


"Haha, that's true enough. You should retire from the concrete jungle and move to Rio one day. But for now, I'll just come for our regular visits. I like talking to you, Greenie, until next week, I bid you ado," Toucy said, spreading his regal wings and flying away towards the Rainforest.


****

Ana


I returned to my lab and made a massive discovery. "The birds are communicating with each other across species. Today's recording was of a São Paulo Green Parrot and a Rio Toucan, and they finally prove my theory," I told my assistant, Isabella Torres. "Come watch this footage," I said, waving her to my computer.


Isabella asked, leaning closer to the speakers and scanning the screen. "What do you mean? Is it a similar call or a song? "


"No, it's not just sounds and movements. It's a symphony of chirps, flutters, and dances, each conveying a specific message. You can see an actual exchange between the two species."


Isabella watched the birds conversing. Her eyes widened, and then a smile formed on her lips. She said, "That's amazing! But why do you look worried?"


'I fear surveillance gurus would exploit it for profit,' I confessed, my voice trailing off. There are people out there who would do anything to use this information in communications technology,' I said, turning off the recording.


Isabella folded her arms across her chest. "What do you mean? How could they profit from the birds' communication skills?"


I shrugged and said, "They could use it to spy on or control people or even events. Have you heard about the "Birds Aren't Real" movement?"


Isabella said, "No, what's that?"


"It's this conspiracy theory that claims the U.S. government killed over 12 billion birds and replaced them with the surveillance-capable drone bird called an ornithopter."


Suddenly, my phone buzzed, indicating a new notification. I checked the message and was surprised to learn of an impromptu visitor to the lab. Isabella shot me a concerned look. I nodded reassuringly and replied to Dr. Silva's message, confirming our readiness. We decided to table our discussion and waited for our surprise guests' arrival.


****

João


My manager, Eduardo, and I arrived at the Institute of Ornithology, a renowned research center in São Paulo dedicated to preserving the Brazilian Rainforest species. 


"Welcome, João and Eduardo! We're thrilled to have you here," Dr. Maria Silva said warmly.


"Thank you, Dr. Silva. It's an honor to be here," I replied, returning the smile. "We are excited to have you as a sponsor. I'd love to share a sample of my new music with you."


Dr. Silva replied, nodding, "It would be my honor to hear your new music."


I scrolled through my playlist of Sambas and Birdsongs:

1. "Feathered Sambas"

2. "Parrots Rhythm"

3. "Tropical Tweeting"

4. "Chirping Cha Cha"

5. "Rhythmic Flight"

6. "Birdsong Carnival"

7. "Samba Skyline"

8. "Toucan Tango"

9. "Melodic Migration

10. "Rainforest Roxy"


I selected sample track six, "Birdsong Carnival," and hit the play button on my phone. The snare drum, shakers, and cowbells produce a fast and upbeat rhythm that makes you want to dance. The horns and trumpets add a bright and celebratory sound to the mix. The vocals are rhythmic and melodic, sung in a call-and-response style but with the echoing sounds of nature. 


Dr. Silva nodded, "I love this new sound; it reflects Brazilian culture. The Rainforest faces unprecedented threats, and we need all the help we can get. Let's head to the lab, and my team can give you a tour and show you some of the work we're doing here."


****

Ana


I must be hallucinating, I muttered, rubbing my eyes to take another look through the glass doors. My heart is beating at a fast tempo like one of his Quinto drums. João Santos, my favorite musician, appears in the flesh. His voice is like silk, and his music has always been my solace, but seeing him in person is something else entirely. 


His long dark hair falls over one eye as he strides in, giving him a bad-boy look. His muscular drummer's forearms are a patchwork of tropical birds and rainforest fauna tattoos. João’s chiseled jaw is accentuated by a five-o'clock shadow, making him look even more rugged and handsome. 


Another man wearing a dapper business suit followed behind Dr. Silva and announced, "I'm Eduardo Lima, João’s manager. We're here to present his new album, Sambas and Birdsongs. He plans to premiere it at his benefit concert to help save the Rainforest. We believe his music and our shared passion can be a powerful tool to raise awareness and inspire people to act."


"As João shook my hand, I couldn't help but feel a spark as his skin touched mine and a mutual respect," I said to him. So, João, it's nice to meet you. Can you tell me more about your idea of hosting a series of concerts for the rainforests and donating profits?"


"Well, it's about creating environmental awareness and supporting the local tribes in the Amazon and Tijuca Forest," João replied. I've always been inspired by the beauty of the Rainforest and the music and culture that comes from it."


I nodded, trying to keep my composure. I looked into his gorgeous eyes and said, "I can see the potential."


João smiled and continued. "We'll take precautions to ensure everyone's safety at our events, including working with the local authorities and environmental organizations. And we'll leave the Rainforest better than we found it."


I took a deep breath, feeling more at ease. "Okay, I want to hear more about your plans and how we can help."


João looked at me earnestly. "Dr. Oliveira, that's why I wanted to meet with you. I know you're an expert in Rainforest conservation, and I believe we can work together to make this festival a success. Would you join me for dinner tonight?"


****

João


Ana smiled playfully and asked, "Have you ever tasted a Bauru sandwich, Joao?"


I raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "No, I haven't. What's so special about it?"


"It's a classic here in São Paulo," Ana said, leaning closer. "Made with roast beef, melted cheese, tomato, and pickles in a crusty bun with the soft inside removed. It's a delicious and sensual experience, João."


I felt a pounding in my chest as my heart raced at her words. "Sounds like you're trying to seduce me with a sandwich," I joked.


Ana laughed, a sultry smile on her lips. "Maybe I am. But who said food can't be sexy?" She leaned closer, "Let's try it tonight and see if its even more delicious than it sounds."


After Eduardo called Ponto Chic, the famous restaurant, we secured a table for the night. He had promised them that I would send a signed publicity shot for their wall of famed customers. 


Sitting across from Ana, I was amazed by her beauty. Her long curls of light brown hair danced around her heart-shaped face, framing her sultry eyes and clever smile. She was still dressed in a scientific field study outfit that made me smile - it looked like she was on safari. I was pleasantly surprised to discover we had so much in common, from our love of the Rainforest to our shared passion for Brazilian music. 


I noticed her studying my forearm tattoos, her gaze lingering on the name Beatriz interwoven in a fauna tattoo. "I got that one to honor my Mother," I said, looking into Anas's eyes. "You may have heard of her death at the hands of a radical group. She was the Rainforest Biologist kidnapped for ransom while working for a Big Pharma company. I know how dangerous being a prominent scientist can be."


*****

Ana


"I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you," I said softly. "I'm here if you want to talk about her. Your Mother was an incredible woman; her legacy lives on through you and your music."


João looked up at me, his eyes mirroring his appreciation and affection for her. "Thank you, Ana. It means a lot to me. You have no idea how much I want to talk about her and share her story with someone who understands. But we can do that one story at a time on future dates. That is if you're interested in dating me, Ana." 


I knew João was special, and I was grateful for the opportunity to get to know him better. "I would like that very much," I said, touching his hand. Let's take things one step at a time and see where this goes."


**** 


October 31, 2024, Rainforest Benefit Concert, Jeunesse Arena, Barra da Tijuca


João


As my Samba Nova Band played the enchanting beats of "Toucan Tango," the crowd erupted into cheers and applause. The audience went wild as they moved and grooved in the aisles. But amidst all the excitement, my eyes drifted towards the VIP section on the right side of the stage. And there she was, Ana, my queen of the Rainforest, smiling at me with the sunset behind her head like a fiery crown. It was as if time had slowed, and we were the only two people in the world. Her eyes held me captive, and I felt a surge of emotions. After a long, slow climb, I was back at the top of a mountain. 


"You're killing it," she shouted over the music, her voice carrying over to me.


I grinned, feeling a rush of pride and happiness. "Thanks, Ana. This is all for the Rainforest, and now you."


She nodded, her eyes shining with admiration. "I know, and it's amazing. Beatriz would be so proud of you."


****

The Barra da Tijuca Rainforest


She suddenly heard a familiar voice behind her. "Well, well, well, look who we have here. Greenie, my dear, you look stunning as always," Toucy said, his eyes twinkling mischievously.


Greenie felt a flutter in her heart at his words. She always enjoyed the way he flirted with her. "Stop it, Toucy. You're making me molt," she said, chirping.


Toucy yelped. "I can't help it. You bring out the best in me," he said, splaying his wing. "Shall we tango, my love?"


Greenie took his wing, feeling a surge of excitement. The music filled the air, and they moved together, their plumage brushing against each other. Toucy tweeted sweet nothings in Greenie's ear as they danced, making her tail feathers shake.


As Greenie and Toucy continued to dance, they noticed the unfamiliar bird that had landed nearby. Its movements were stiff and robotic, unlike any bird they had ever seen. Its feathers lacked the usual brilliance and shine, making it seem almost lifeless. But what caught their attention was the red light that suddenly flicked on, indicating that the bird was recording their every move. The two birds had a sense of unease as they wondered who or what was behind this mysterious bird's appearance.




April 30, 2024 21:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

01:00 May 17, 2024

Laurie, The journey of João Santos, a Samba star, as he rediscovers his musical inspiration in the Rainforest and plans a fundraising concert for Rainforest preservation. The narrative intertwines the stories of João, an ornithologist named Ana, and the urban wildlife of São Paulo, highlighting the importance of nature conservation and cross-species communication. The story conveys the message of environmental conservation through music and storytelling, showcasing the interconnectedness between art, nature, and humanity. The article follow...

Reply

Laurie Spellman
02:01 May 17, 2024

Thank you for reading and reviewing my story. 💚🦜🦜

Reply

05:46 May 17, 2024

Laurie, you're welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Crystal Wexel
14:25 May 10, 2024

Incredible setting and ideas ! Taking the whole birds arnt real idea and coupling it with romance , not only with humans , but birds too . I love it.

Reply

Laurie Spellman
16:05 May 10, 2024

Thank you 🦜🦜🦜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lisa Palermo
01:14 May 07, 2024

Loved how you brought the birds to life!

Reply

Laurie Spellman
02:59 May 07, 2024

It was fun! 🦜🦜…thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suzanne Marsh
19:22 May 02, 2024

Great read.

Reply

Laurie Spellman
21:13 May 02, 2024

Thank you 😊 for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
04:43 May 01, 2024

Some enchanted evening... Thanks for liking my 'Southern Persuasion'.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
01:56 May 01, 2024

Just so you know, I'm a huge Brazilian music fan. I first heard João Gilberto's take on Jobim's "Vou te contar" ("Wave" in English) at 15 and just fell in love with the music. So yes, I squealed when I first saw the setting of your story. Hahahaha ! Laurie, what a treat of a story ! The use of imagery made this story a beautiful bossa nova melody. Everything felt so alive that I could hear the pandeiro. The descriptions were that skillfully employed. Splendid ! Of course, the romantic in me swooned and smiled at this love story of two peop...

Reply

Laurie Spellman
02:18 May 01, 2024

Thank you, Alexis! I was inspired by my role in teaching color theory in the beauty industry by a Brazilian post of a beautiful Toucan last week. I love Samba 🤩 and strong intelligent female characters. 🦜….Parrot Rhythm- 😆 was just for fun.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.