2 comments

Coming of Age Sad


She had done it a thousand times, a thousand for sure.

she did it every time her parents were very busy at work, every time she missed her, every time at celebrations and festivals. She had always loved to go there and cried a lot of times too, to stay there for more time.

Here was she sitting in the back seat of the car, her mother on driver's and father next to her mum, doing the same thing, going to her maternal grandparent's home once again.

"When will we reach there?" She asked her face gloomy and voice shaky with the tears she was holding back. "and for how long to we will have to stay there?"

It was not often that this girl cried, for she was too bold to cry she thought... but today was different, a lot different.

"I think it'll be three or four hours at least" said her father whom she called daddy.

Soon they reached the house.

She met her grandpa who lived on the ground floor, talked to him for a while not even once smiling unlike she'd done on all other trips she remembered from eternity.

She climbed the stairs to the upper floor. Checking all the rooms, she couldn't hold her tears back so she ran to the restroom.

looking in the mirror began to sob like a poor little baby starved for a thousand days.

It was true, her grandma was gone for sure.

She rested in peace everyone had told her in the recent days that had gone by, although fifteen she hadn't believed then a bit.

No she wasn't mentally unfit but losing someone she had loved like her own life, known since she was born, for she was the first one to hold her, was gone now forever never to meet again.

All of it on her birthday.

It was true, she had lost her grandma on the day she got her and this burned down a hole in her heart.

the restroom was miserable, with all her grandma's things still intact, the shampoo she used lay there on the shelf, still there but she was gone.

She knows she would meet her again but what pains her the most is that she doesn't know when and that that her sixty year old grandma far from any illness died in a pandemic the COVID 19 pandemic and though she caught the infection from her grandma when they last met, she couldn't go to see her in her last days.

She was still crying when suddenly came a knock at the door

"Hey love what are you doing in the restroom since so long?" It was her mother. "come out we need to tell you something important."

"Coming." Said her while wiping her face.

She reached the lobby where all were sitting and silently sat on a chair with her face down in order to hide her bloodshot eyes.

"Love, you're gonna be a sister" said her mum

"what??" reflexed the poor girl looking straight up to her mum.

"Its a girl due on 18 Feb.." Declared her father proudly.

And yes, that was very straight nine months from when her grandma had died and very much on grandma's birthday indeed.

The months passed with a lot of cries for the poor girl for she loved her grandma too much to be happy for a still unknown girl and the day came at last when the nurse at last gave a happy cry, "It's a beautiful girl".

The newborn girl had the same blonde hair the poor girl's grandma had unlike her and her mother's and all family to take account of

she took hold of the girl, her very own sister who was born on the exact same date that the woman she loved the most, her grandma had been born, promising to God that she would make the little girl as generous and lovely and loving as her grandma was.

And so the tale continues but with a little change, the poor girl is no more poor and miserable but as happy as her grandma had loved to see her.

G.H. Dumont

July 02, 2021 19:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Tricia Shulist
13:29 Jul 10, 2021

Aww. The circle of life. That was nice.

Reply

Greg H. Dumont
17:32 Jul 21, 2021

Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.