The Engagement Gift

Submitted into Contest #27 in response to: Write a short story that ends with a twist.... view prompt

1 comment

Mystery

THE ENGAGEMENT GIFT

By

Teddi Robinson

“Anna…. Anna, please, come here at once.” Lady Ashton calls and thinks, I wondered where she can be. “Anna, where are you?”

Coming into the library, Anna answers, “I’m sorry, ma’am, but I was helping cook and didn’t hear you calling me.”

“That’s okay, Anna. I want to make sure everything is ready for the ball. Do you have the list I gave you?”

“Yes, ma’am, I do. I’ve checked the first dozen things on it this morning and will check the rest now.”

“Good. If there is anything missing or needs to be done, will you see that it is taken care of before the ball?”

“Yes, ma’am.” Anna turns and leaves the room.

***


This is a very special evening. Lord and Lady Ashton are going to announce the engagement of their daughter, Ann Marie to the Duke of Woebegone, Your Grace Henry Fordone.

The ball room is beautiful with one wall having three, floor to ceiling, windows. The windows have white, lace curtains with purple, velvet drapes and valances. The opposite wall has three, floor to ceiling, mirrors with a gold frame around each. At the far end of the room is a small stage, where the orchestra will play The other end of the room. there is a table with the punch, punch bowl and cups. There are two large, pocket doors, these are doors that slide into the wall on either side, leading to the large entry hall

The orchestra arrives and has taken their seats. They have tuned their instruments and are waiting patiently for the guests to arrive.

The guests are starting to arrive. The ladies are in beautiful full-length gowns, fur cloaks, gloves, and wearing their most expensive jewels. The men are in tuxedos, top hats, and cloaks. Everyone is in a festive mood.

As each guest arrives, a man takes the top hat and cloak from the men and a lady takes the cloak from the ladies. As the couple enters the ball room, they are announced by the butler.

The Grand March is announced and each couple walks down the center of the ball room. As they approach the end of the room the first couple goes to the. right, the next couple goes to the left. They continue until all couples are either to the right or the left. They meet at the starting point and march down the ball room as two couples or four people. They do the same, first four people to the right, next four people to the left. The last time they have eight people in a line. The dance has started.

Two hours later, the orchestra takes a break. Lord Ashton steps onto the stage and walks to the middle of the stage. Clapping his hands for attention, he says, “May I have your attention, please. Ann Marie will you and His Grace please join me?”

The room becomes very quiet and Lord Ashton continues, “I know you have been wondering what my wife and I are celebrating tonight so I’m going to tell you. Lady Ashton and I have the privilege to welcome His Grace Henry Fordone to our family. He and our daughter Ann Marie will be married next month here in the family Chapel. Invitations will be sent.”

Everyone gets in a line to congratulate His Grace and to wish Ann Marie good luck. Some of the single ladies are very unhappy about the marriage; because they had hopes of marrying the Duke themselves. They are relieved that Ann Marie will not be competing with them for the remaining bachelors.

***


Lady Ashton and Ann Marie are in the drawing room. Ann Marie is working on an embroidery piece for the fire-place mantle. Lady Ashton is almost asleep in her chair.  The butler enters, walks over to Lady Ashton, and holds out the silver calling tray. Lady Ashton takes the card and says, “Show Mrs. Marple in, James.”

Mrs. Marple comes briskly into the room, and walking over to Ann Marie, says, “What a beautiful mantle scarf, and the embroidery is perfect. Ann Marie, you will be an asset for the Duke’s household.”

Lady Ashton motions for Mrs. Marple to come sit next to her. After Mrs. Marple sits down, Lady Aston pulls the call ribbon for Anna.

Anna enters the room and says, “You called, Lady Ashton?”

Lady Ashton says “Yes, Anna, I did. Could you bring us tea and some biscuits?”

“Yes, ma’am.” Anna says as she leaves the room.

Lady Ashton asks, “Mrs. Marple, did you see the lovely necklace, His Grace gave to Ann Marie for their engagement present?”

“No, Lady Ashton, but I’d love to see it.”

Ann Marie rises from her chair and says, “I’ll go get it.” she leaves.

A few minutes later, Ann Marie, pale as a ghost, rushes into the room. She is waving the jewel box, the necklace came in, and can hardly talk.

Both Lady Ashton and Mrs. Marple go to Ann Marie. Lady Ashton takes the jewel case from Ann Marie, she opens it, and gasps. The necklace is not there.

Mrs. Marple helps Lady Ashton to the chair and rings for Jeeves, the Butler. As soon as Jeeves enters the room, Mrs. Marple says, “Call Scotland Yard. There has been a robbery.”

 Detective Adams is preparing to leave. He has questioned all the servants and obtained the guest list of attendees at the engagement party, names of the extra help, and the names of the musicians.

Jeeves, the butler enters with the silver calling tray and walks over to Lady Ashton. She takes the card and says, “I think the detective should handle this.”

Detective Adams looks at the card and leaves the room. He returns shortly carrying a small box. He walks over to Ann Marie, hands her the box, and says, “Please open this up for us.”

Ann Marie does as she is told. She gasps, and hands her beautiful necklace to detective Adams. Then she sees the note.

The type-written note reads: Sorry about this, but I just had to see if I could still commit a robbery and not get caught. Best Wishes for your wedding. A friend.


THE END


February 07, 2020 17:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Felicity Edwards
19:18 Feb 14, 2020

Comments Well done, a delightful story. 3rd para. Lady Ashton would not say okay. Its not the way aristocracy speak 6th para Maybe better if this did not come across like a stage direction. 7th para Title is not Your Grace but His Grace. You would only say Your Grace addressing him directly. 8th para where the orchestra will play needs a full stop here The 8th para the room. need a comma not a full stop there is a table 8th para doors, these might be better with a full stop 11th para doors, a man takes. Not just any old man but a man ser...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.