0 comments

Drama


Write a story about two people meeting during unusual circumstances and becoming fast friends.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had just boarded the plane and sat down in my seat. Time to go to New York and pursue my dream of becoming a fashion designer, I thought. I was 23, and knew that this is what I wanted to do in life. I was a vivacious brunette, had a lively looking face and was all smiles, especially today.


Minutes later, I was waiting for the boarding process to finish. I finished setting up, placing my purse underneath my feet. I looked around at everyone, out of curiosity as to who was on my flight. I saw a young couple, a father with a baby and an elderly man sitting in my vicinity. The seat next to me was empty. I was relieved. I was hoping no one would sit there. I would have all the space in the world. I placed my phone on the empty seat.


I then looked out the window, at the wing of the plane. Below, I observed the men in bright orange and yellow jackets, tossing suitcases from the loading carts onto the luggage tray of the plane.


Suddnely, a voice from the PA system blasted out loud, making me jump:


JAMIE SUMPTER, PLEASE MAKE YOUR WAY TO GATE 23. YOUR FLIGHT TO NEW YORK IS BOARDING.


I stiffened in my seat as I turned away from the window in alarm. Jamie Anderson? That was me. I was Jamie Anderson! I checked my flight ticket again. I also just boarded from Gate 23! And I was very much on this plane, sitting in my seat.


Was there a mix up? Or was there really another Jamie Sumpter on this flight?


I turned to the front of the plane, trying to see if this person was going to enter any minute.


No one walked in.


I decided to ask one of the flight attendants just to make sure.


A pretty blonde haired attendant wearing a blue and red uniform, came over. I asked her about the PA announcement, making sure I was on the right flight. She checked her passenger list.


"Actually, funny you should ask. We have another Jamie Sumpter scheduled to board, for this flight. And her seat is right next to yours."


My eyes widened. "Oh really? Thank you very much," I said. I took my phone from the empty seat grudgingly.


Soon after, someone rushed inside the plane. I looked up. To my surprise, she looked nothing like I'd imagine another Jamie Sumpter to look like.


This Jamie Sumpter was at least 15 years old. And she was all alone. No parent or guardian with her. She was wearing a green shirt and blue jeans, had a book in her hands.


She walked over to the seat next to mine, and sat down. I looked at her and smiled.


"Hello," I said.


"Hi," she said shyly.


"Did you know, my name is also Jamie Sumpter?" I asked.


"It is?" she looked shocked, more at the fact that I knew her name.


"Yep. The flight attendant told me another Jamie Sumpter would be sitting next to me."


"Cool." Jamie said, then turned back to her book.


"Nice to see a teenager not on their phone." I said, more to myself.


"I know right? I hate being glued to the thing like it's my whole life!" the girl suddenly said.


I turned to her. "Oh! I didn't expect you to actually agree."


"But I do! I want to become a literary scholar when I grow up, which is why I read a lot."


"Must be the studious, bookworm type, huh?"


"I get all A's."


"Why are you traveling alone then?" I then asked. "Wouldn't your parents be worried?"


"They aren't. I am actually traveling to New York to meet them there. I am from New York by the way. I was visiting my grandmother here in South Carolina, alone."


"Wow, you must be brave to travel all alone." I said, impressed. When I was her age, I couldn't even last a second away from home.


"It's not that bad. I'm used to it." she said in a know-it-all tone. In a way, she reminded me of someone familiar, I couldn't place my finger on who.


Soon, the plane was about to take off.


As the roar of the engine blasted, Jamie held on to her seat in fear. I saw this and quickly reached into my purse, and got out a small stuffed turtle that I had bought at the convenience store, at the airport. I then handed it to her. She looked at me, confused.


"You can have it. I don't know why I bought it. It looked cute, that's why."


She took the turtle and squeezed it tight as the plane took off. She thanked me, kindly, adding that turtles were her favorite animals. Just like me, coincidentally.


We then continued our conversation. We talked about each other more. She told me that she would travel alone all over again if it meant sitting next to someone who was interesting to talk to. Like myself.


"I would think that talking to someone your age would be more interesting to you. Then again, you said you want to be a literary scholar." I said.


"I do. I like to read a lot. And I think it's cool that you want to be a fashion designer."


"Really? Thanks! It's the perfect choice for me."


By the end of the flight, I knew more about Jamie Sumpter and found out we had more in common than I thought. She watched Saved by the Bell, loved the actor Ryan Gosling and had three friends in her high school. All like myself. Who knew that someone with the same name as me could possess a personality that mirrored mine? I realized that the person she reminded me of, was none other than myself! Except for the book smart part.


But then again, not everyone is perfect. The moral of the story is that you never know who you may meet when you travel. I know this little encounter will be something worth telling at future dinner parties.



THE END 


August 22, 2020 01:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.