0 comments

Sad Creative Nonfiction

The birds have left their trees, the palm trees swishing and swoshing with the heavy winds of the day.

It was early morning, about eight am, which was the regular time for the workers of Indonesia to go to the office, work the whole day and come home by the afternoon.

Mothers were cooking in their kitchen, in their element as they mixed vegetables and rice with a maternal patience, their smiles also greeting the bright, morning sun.

The stout men said goodbye to their home-maker wives, and with a stomach full of their wife's delicious meal, went off to work.

The youngsters were roused, to get ready for school and oh, how they grumbled and groaned but immediately sat up when the tantalising scent of fried rice wafted into their bedrooms through the hallways.

Cars were started, and the usual rumble of traffic was just beginning to be seen and heard.

Some rich women, who had nothing to do in their days, for the food was constantly cooked by the maid, the laundry cleaned by the domestic servants and the floor swept and mopped also by the loyal biddies, were pedalling around town on their fancy bikes.

Then, as sudden as the waves receded from the shore, the ground shook, hard, so very hard, that buildings collapsed and the trees quivered so extremely violent that they were uprooted from the soil.

Panic immediately washed over the inhabitants of Aceh faces, expressions of severe fear plastered on each of their features.

The birds called out at each other, and the wildlife animals ran to the opposite side of the land of the great, each screeching, roaring and expressing their extreme fright.

The majestic blue water of the ocean ebbed away from the sandy sea shore, waving bye as it slid smoothly back to the horizon.

No one noticed, especially not with their un-scientific minds.

The waves returned, higher than ever, 30 metres tall, and quickly rushed towards the shore and, more importantly, the exalted city of Great Aceh.

When the citizens started to finally realised, they ran, as fast as the human leg-power could bring them, to the opposite side, just like, previously, the animals did.

Soon, the gurgling, royal blue water enveloped the city, engulfing the seemingly tiny humans galloping around, and submerging the houses, shops, and buildings.

Houses thoroughly wrecked, people sadistically killed and animals horribly mutilated, the Great Aceh was now a mess of broken wood, sharply broken ceramic tiles and thousands of corpses, mangled and missing limbs.

The once beautiful morning is now a death field, the putrid smell of blood and the rancid smell of the dead now replaced the delicious, wafting scent of fried rice and warm tea with Marie biscuits.

It turns out, not only Indonesia was affected by this great wave.

India, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Maldives, Myanmar, Somalia, Sri Lanka and Thailand were also affected.

Help was sent immediately, all of the world's major countries lending a kind and helpful hand to assist people in the evacuation and adding to the limited resources for the handful of surviving people.

A terrifying incident, one to remind us that death is absolutely inevitable, and whether your breath is taken away by the raging sea or your heart just gives up in the middle of the night, it will happen.

Most people are traumatised by death, sensing a deep fear of the unknown. And, the worst part is, the unknown will stay the unknown, for no dead can come back.

Though there have been many cases of peculiar deaths, this horrible massacre presented to us by god in the form of a huge wave, speeding along at the speed of 800 kilometres per hour, is just another reminder that death is lurking around every corner.

Even though we've put on the most precautions, whether it includes eating healthy, having a safety balloon pop up in your car if you ever get into a car accident, or whatever it is, death is still there.

And, it'll always be there.

We don't know it, but the people who died in the tsunami were just innocent men and women and children who went to work, school and went about their daily jobs, not having any inkling of what was to happen in the near future.

Scary, isn't it? It literally gives me goosebumps to think about death and how it's predestined.

It's sad, too, to realise the fact that one day you'll part with your mum and dad, your brother and your sister and with all of your loved ones and friends.

It's scary at a point where you can't figure out what it is and you'll never and it's undeniable.

There's no way that we can stop death, but that's probably about to change. It's still a big maybe, however. That's because technology is growing ever bigger and ever cooler by the second, and scientists, doctors and experimentalists work hard every day, not only for a better future, but also for a way to face and kill death, itself.

I'm holding in a tear or two, imagining what life, or rather, the afterlife would be if ever I should spend it without the ones I love the most, and yet, how else? It's our destiny to die.

None of us really appreciate life for what it is, nowadays. We're either focused on work, study or something else that's nothing compared to life.

My intention to write this story isn't to make you sad, depressed or any other negative things.

The sole purpose is to make you realise.

To make you breathe in the refreshing air of the early morning.

To make you thank and bless God for having let you awake this day.

To make you admire the sun going up and the sun going down.

Because, no matter how you wish and think "I wish we could stay here forever," it won't work. And we'll part ways, in the very end.

To make you savour the feeling of the raindrops on your skin.

The feeling of the warm water spouting from the shower.

The feeling of laughing with your friends.

The feeling of ecstasy when you come back home and eat your mother's meals and listen to your father's advice.

To enjoy life and see it as it is.

To live a life worth living while you live.

Share this story to send this message, and I have no want for fame or money by this story, yet this idea is so simple yet so crucial in our minds.

Thank you.

THE END.

June 06, 2024 06:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.