4 comments

Contemporary Friendship Romance

“C’mon Vuyo, just consider it,” Lusanda insisted, her eyes growing wider.

“Lulu, you’re out of your mind,” Vuyo said gripping his head in frustration.

“Ah Vuyo! Could you just humor me for a second and consider it. Here’s why we would win: Firstly, we’ve been friends for four years now so we know each other’s strong points and weak points. Secondly, we basically have the same personality so we will hardly face the same problems as the other couples. In addition, we have fun together… so it’ll be more like a vacation for us and at the grand Ntsaba Resort… come on.” Lusanda said fluttering her eyelashes at him.

“That’s fine and dandy… only problem is – we are not actually a couple,” Vuyo protested.

“But they don’t know that… people always assume we are a couple when we’re together, remember the new waiter earlier on?”

“Ugh…” Vuyo moaned removing his thick glasses and placing them on the table. “Even if I wanted to, what would I do about work?”

“Urr… you haven’t taken a day-off in years, I’m sure you’ve got ample vacation time accumulated. So all you’ll have to do is go and talk to Human Resources and I’m sure you can get at least a month off– and that’s all we’ll need.”

“Mmmm…”

“Pretty please with a cherry on top.”

“Okay fine,” Vuyo sighed.

“Yaaayyyy!” Lusanda yelped in excitement. “That hundred thousand is ours! I knew I could count on you, let’s get more drinks – on me... after I use the bathroom though,” she said brusquely standing up. The two of them had been sitting at their regular spot – a small bar situated just down their street.

Vuyo smiled at her as she made her way from the table, gazing until she was out of view. Lusanda’s look was quite striking; she had thick black hair that formed twists and curls complementing her dainty oval face which contrasted her big almond eyes and golden-brown skin, and although reasonably tall, her body was rather petite with slight curves where it mattered.

                                                   ………………………

Merely a month later, Lusanda and Vuyo strolled into Ntsaba Resort confidently, hand-in-hand – dragging their suitcases behind them. The entrance was surrounded by vibrant palm and cycad trees, with appealing pandan leaves and exotic flowers carefully planted along the pave-way, leading them to an extravagant building with a neatly thatched roof. They made their way through the luxurious open-floor plan that unveiled a view of a breath-taking infinity pool.

“Oh my goodness,” gasped Lusanda as she gawked at the view.

“I know right?” said an equally amazed Vuyo.

As they trailed forward, a tall man, immaculately dressed in a white shirt and pants approached them flashing a wicked smile.

“Welcome to Ntsaba Resort, you must be Lusanda and Vuyo. I am your host Theo Zwane. You are one of the first couples to arrive, so sorry we were still setting up,” he said indicating for the camera crew to join him. “Alright now we will just do a brief introduction for the viewers but there are cameras strategically placed in every single room… which is not to scare you though… I trust you will make yourselves feel right at home and act the same way you would if there were no cameras around,” he said flashing his perfect teeth once again.

“Urr...  sure,” Lusanda said smiling nervously.

“Alright then, action!” Theo said clearing his throat, “Our next couple has arrived and will each tell you a little bit about themselves.”

“Uhm yeah… well my name is Vuyo Mbatha, I am 31 years old from Mafini Town but currently living in Ntsaba City and I am employed as an IT Technician at Prompt Telecommunications.”

“And I am Lusanda Khoza, I am 26 years old, I am a qualified Civil Engineer from Jeke area, now living in Ntsaba City but unfortunately I have been out of work since my former company had to down-size three months ago.”

“Oh I’m sorry about that Lusanda but I’m sure this hundred thousand rand will set you up good, huh?”

“That’s why we are here,” Lusanda smiled.

“And how long have you two known each other?”

“Four years,” Lusanda and Vuyo said uniformly.

“Alright then, there we have it – you two will be shown to the suite you will be using for your duration here… looking forward to seeing more of you.”

“Thank you Theo, come on baby,” Lusanda said taking Vuyo’s hand.

The suites were classic and elegant, entailing a size-able living room that flowed into the dining area, arrayed in rustic textures, powdery hues and raw timber.

“Ahhhh… I could get used to this,” Lusanda said as she dropped her bags and ran around the area. Vuyo laughed as he gradually followed after her.

“Look at how enormous the bedroom is, and there’s two reasonably-sized beds… we definitely will be comfortable in here.”

“Uhm... I think I’ll use the couch in the living room,” Vuyo said softly, “it looked large and comfy… I think.”

Lusanda looked slightly disconcerted, “Oh? Urr…okay, whatever makes you happy.”

………………….

All the couples dined together in the enormous common area in the evening. They mingled cheerfully throughout the night and when dinner was over, Theo waltzed in ceremoniously.

“Good evening contestants, I hope you have had the opportunity to get to know each other. If you haven’t I am sure you will in the next three weeks. Well… at least some of you. As fun as it has been tonight, I’m sad to let you know that we will be eliminating two of the twenty couples tonight,” Theo announced as the contestants gasped and ogled each other.

 “We will be having our first challenge and unfortunately our two bottom teams will have to pack their belongings and leave immediately. The challenge is called, ‘How well do you know you partner?’ and is self-explanatory; we will ask each of you questions about your partners to weigh how strong your bond is… the top couple will gain immunity for the next challenge and the lowest two couples like I said, will be eliminated. Now, let us begin – Lusanda and Vuyo, you are up first.

Swiftly, the filming crew began to set up a booth where the contestants would be quizzed, away everyone else, including their partners; Vuyo was sent in first.

“Okay Vuyo, now I want you to answer as quickly and as briefly as you can alright? Let’s begin.” Theo said picking up a stack of large rectangular cards as he watched Vuyo take in a deep breath. “What is Lusanda’s favorite color?”

“Black,” Vuyo spat out, his eyes focused on the floor beneath him.

“What is her favorite pet?”

“Cats.”

“What is Lusanda’s favorite movie?”

“The Hobbit.”

“How many people has Lusanda dated including yourself?”

“Uhh… including myself would be five.”

“Here’s a tricky one; what is her shoe size?”

“Shoe size? It should be a six.”

“Alright then, that’s it… please send in your partner.” Theo said re-arranging his cards.

Vuyo walked out timidly and indicated for Lusanda to go in, she smiled meekly at him and went in.

“Alright Lusanda… just answer as briefly as you can… What is Vuyo’s favorite color?”

“Red,” Lusanda responded looking confident.

“What is his favorite pet?”

“A bird.”

“What is your partner’s favorite movie?”

“Uhm… I’ll go with The Lord of the Rings.”

“How many people has Vuyo dated including yourself?”

“Six.”

“And do you know his shoe size?”

“I do Theo, I think it’s a nine.”

“Well then that’s it,” Theo said grinning, please send in Abigail and Sizwe.

Nerves amplified as the couples went in one by one, each spending about two minutes in the booth as they were quizzed. Lusanda and Vuyo sat together quietly as the other couples bickered over their responses, after two long hours Theo emerged from the booth.

“Well then contestants, thank you for your participation. The results have been tallied and they are as follows: with a perfect five out five the leading couple is Lusanda and Vuyo, followed close second by Thuli and Sive with a four out of five. Ten couples scored three out of five and are also safe, whilst six scored an unimpressive two out of five but in this case are also safe. Andile and Thulani you guys only managed to score one out of five and, Gugu and Felix did not get any correct – unfortunately, we will have to say goodbye to all four of you tonight.

Mixed emotions filled the room as everyone else said their goodbyes to the two eliminated couples. The lot were relieved they were not eliminated; Lusanda and Vuyo celebrated briefly and quickly joined the rest is saying their farewells to their new acquaintances.

                             ……………………………….

The weeks flew by at the grand Ntsaba Resort, and before they knew it, it was down to the final couples. They all eagerly awaited backstage as Theo presented the final five in their first live show.

“Ladies and gentlemen,” Theo began, "thank you all for tuning in to the first season of ‘Is Love Enough?’. Our ratings over the weeks have been off the charts, really humbling and without further ado, I present to you your final five!” On that signal the couples began to walk onto the stage as the crowd rumbled and cheered. “We have Thuli and Sive, Mbali and Ben, Deli and Wandile, Juliana and Bongani… last but not least we have Lusanda and Vuyo.”

Theo took his place on the large couch in the center on the stage whilst the couples sat on the side and faced him. “Alright, now a lot has gone on over the weeks, and we have seen out couples go through very high highs and very low lows – we have seen most couples fall-out, quarrel and flat-out struggle to remain in the game. All except Lusanda and Vuyo, the couple which is ultimately our crowd favorite - ladies and gentlemen give it up for them as they join me.”

The audience cheered raucously as Lusanda and Vuyo made their way to the center stage hand-in-hand. Lusanda wore a figure-hugging, grey evening dress that shimmered exquisitely whilst Vuyo matched her with a dark-grey form-fitting suit.

“Now, Lusanda and Vuyo; our unfaltering ‘power couple’ - you have mopped the floor with the other couples week after week. You guys just have to tell us, what is your secret to being such an amazing couple?”

“I think it’s just that we are really good friends,” Lusanda said winking at Vuyo, who snickered.

“And I knew better to let Lulu lead in the physical challenges, whilst I headed the more mental challenges,” Vuyo added.

“Wow. You got that guys? As much as you are in a relationship you need to be good friends with your partner and know who is good at what. Anyway, Lusanda and Vuyo tell me, what qualities do you each admire most about each other?” Theo quizzed.

“Well,” Vuyo began, “I admire Lulu’s tenacity; she is relentless and achieves anything she puts her mind to. And it doesn’t hurt that she is stunning.” He said, Lusanda flushed slightly.

“Uhm… well, I like that he’s a really nice and genuine person, and I know he’s always got my back – he’s my go-to guy you know,” Lusanda said nudging Vuyo. “And, he is so smart, my goodness – he’s a giant nerd.”

“Haha, well there you have it folks. We have time for one audience member to pose a question to our first couple… errr… yes you- little miss at the back,” Theo said indicating with his hand.

A slender woman stood out from the back, “I have a question for Vuyo – so when did you know that Lusanda was the one?”

“Urr… uhm, I can’t really say, there isn’t like a specific time when I knew but it grew as I got to know her over the years. Lusanda is a really nice, calm person – she values her friends and family, she’s really hardworking, she’s honest,– what you see is what to get with her and she’s really beautiful inside and out; it’s hard not to fall in-love with that.”

“Wow, that’s just beautiful Vuyo,” noted Theo. “And thank you to our audience member for the question –“

As Theo remarked Lusanda got up abruptly and frantically ran towards the exit kicking off her heels on the way out. Vuyo ran after her, confused – he tried to shout after her but Lusanda did not turn until she was far outside the building where she stood bare-footed, sobbing hysterically.

Vuyo approached her warily, “Lusanda what’s wrong? Did I do something? Did I say something?”

“Did you really mean what you said… about me?” an unsettled Lusanda queried.

“Yes, of course. Wait, what’s wrong?” Vuyo said reaching out to touch Lusanda’s arm.

“Well Vuyo, if I’m so great as you say then why haven’t you ever tried to make a move with me? Why haven’t you tried to kiss me? Why haven’t you asked me out? What, do you not find me attractive? It’s been four years!” Lusanda demanded staring at Vuyo intently in his eyes hoping to get answer.

“Wait- Lulu- I-,” Vuyo stammered.

“Oh just forget it,” Lusanda said bending down as she clutched her stomach and continued to sob quietly. As she turned around she was mortified to see all of the other contestants standing in front of the building gawking, along with the camera crew and Theo, they all stood dumbfounded as they witnessed the fall of the prominent duo. Lusanda began to run in the opposite direction, away from the inquisitive eyes and Vuyo attempted to ran after her yet again.

                                            ……………………………

After they were disqualified from the show, Lusanda cut all contact from Vuyo entirely. One day after work Vuyo decided to go by the bar he usually went to with Lusanda hoping to find her. He walked in slowly raking through the entire set-up until he spotted her sitting at a distant corner. He walked towards her cautiously, fixing his shirt on the way.

“Well… fancy seeing you here,” he greeted.

“Ugh… what do you want?” sighed Lusanda irritably.

“I’ve been trying to reach you. I called you constantly but I always got sent to voicemail…. And I passed by your place a couple of times but no one was home.”

“Well forgive me if I didn’t want to show my face after humiliating myself on national TV. And I’ve been busy – I got a job,” Lusanda said trying to force a smile.

“You did? That’s amazing,” Vuyo said pulling a chair.

“Yeah well, at least one part of my life is not kicking me in the gut.”

“Well, I feel bad we didn’t win the show, I knew how badly you wanted to win.”

“It wouldn’t have felt right anyway.”

“Lulu, listen… I didn’t know you felt that way about me.”

“Silly me right,” snarled Lusanda.

“Could you let me finish please... I didn’t think you felt that way about me because I always had this notion that you were out of my league,” Vuyo said.

“What?” Lusanda inquired as her eyebrows arched involuntary.

“Yes, I- I’m just this square-shaped nerd, who doesn’t even make that much money and if you think about it - I’m not even that interesting... I’m just-“

“Are you done insulting yourself?” Lusanda cut in.

“Urr… not quite, what I mean is that I would have been – I would be more than honored to have you as my girlfriend. Lulu – you are the most amazing girl/woman I have ever known and I-“

Before he could fining speaking Lusanda leaned over and gripped him, swiftly placing her lips on his as her arms went around his neck, taking a moment before she released him from her grasp.

“Urr… I… Uhm…,” Vuyo stammered.

“What? Cat got your tongue?” Lusanda said smugly.

“Urr well… does this mean that we’re officially a couple?” Vuyo pondered.

“It’s about damn time,” Lusanda said as she reached over for another kiss.

November 13, 2020 12:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

B O
18:58 Nov 20, 2020

Very cute! I like that it's not overly flowery. The greatest couples usually are the best of friends!

Reply

Zethu Dlamini
19:03 Nov 20, 2020

Thanks B

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rahul Harish
12:46 Nov 15, 2020

Beautifully written. And I agree, good friends make the best couples! :)

Reply

Zethu Dlamini
14:41 Nov 15, 2020

Thank you Rahul

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.