0 comments

American Fiction

The smell of fresh scones fills my home. I love the smell they permit into the air in my little home. I had to run to the bakery the moment my sister said she was coming early this morning. My younger sister Ellen was the biggest gossip around, and apparently, she had some urgent big news as usual. Ellen had big news to tell me weekly. I'm used to her saying something is very urgent and it turns out her enemy waved at her in the grocery store as they were checking out. And then the only reason they're enemies is because Ellen saw this poor woman high-fiving a biker for having a bear on his jacket.

"She might as well be inviting a biker gang into her house and claim that she's one of them. The next thing you know she'll be just like them."

Ellen constantly comes to my house, and I know things have to be perfect for her to come. She'll point out the smallest thing if it is not exactly to her liking. That means the house is spotless and there are scones on my kitchen table. The only room that is allowed to be a mess is my bedroom because that's where I draw the line. Once Ellen came into my bedroom and I felt super uncomfortable with her in there. It wasn't even a mess because I cleaned it thoroughly the day before as I had done my spring cleaning. Ellen's a snoop but knows if I ever caught her in there again she'd be kicked out in an instant and the most she'd have for interaction with me would be a holiday card.

As I was smoothing the blanket and plumping the pillows when she barged through the door. Ellen is quite excited about coming in. She's wearing a green floral rhomper with her hair in a ponytail. Her purse is a floral pattern as well. The moment she entered it was like my house was completely different. It felt the same as it always did with her in here.

"Hello, Ellen. How may you be doing today?" I say, calmly. On the inside, I'm a nervous wreck.

"Well. I cannot wait to tell you the news." She says, bubbling with excitement. We sit down and she starts talking after we each take a bite of our scones. Scones are her favorite. I like muffins more, but with her around I get no preference.

"You'll never believe it! You know that girl I told you about, Hailey, got proposed to! By the man she was dating, George. She excepted and I get to be her maid of honor. I'm thrilled for her, honestly, I am." She finishes. I got focused on my scone and enjoyed my last bite. I notice Ellen staring at me unpleased. "Stop stuffing your face and say something." This shocks me. I was not expecting to be talked to like that. Even though it is Ellen we're talking about.

I look up at her. "Good for them. I'm happy for you as well." I don't know Hailey nor George. She gossips so much I barely remember if she did mention them the last time we were together. I know for a fact that I haven't met them either. Her best friend changes week to week. God forbid she doesn't talk about everyone. Ellen's always had a bit of a gossiping problem.

Ellen looks at me suspiciously. "Were you listening? Do you even care about Hailey? She's my best friend. And your floors need to be cleaned. They're vile. Does your house get cleaned often?" Tried to warn you. I remember something else than she when it comes to Hailey and George.

The last time we talked about Hailey, apparently she was her worst enemy or something like that because Ellen said terrible things about her. I've heard her say some extremely miserable things about people, what she said about Ellen wasn't ok, but it wasn't the worst I've heard her talk about people.

"Yes, Ellen. I need to clean it better tomorrow, but I was in a rush because you only told me you were coming an hour ago. Of course, I care about Hailey and George. I just don't really know them personally. Maybe soon enough you could bring them over and I can meet them. I promise you, Ellen, I do care." I look over at her. She's on her phone, looking down at her phone. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I never know when Ellen is coming. She just comes.

"Yes, of course, who were we talking about?" Great. She cares about this news as much as I do. The fact is that Ellen doesn't really care about marriages or relationships. She's more into drama.

"Your best friend Hailey and her engagement to George." Ellens's head bobs up. And looks at me confused. I knew I messed up. I should have just said, Hailey and George. Why do I have to complicate things? I messed up.

"Oh, yeah. She's not my best friend. And I have to go anyway. Thanks for having me, but I have a meeting with one of my friends." What she means by that is she probably has to gossip to someone else now or make more drama. Whatever. She does this all the time. Fine by me. The sooner she leaves the faster I can relax and go back to my own day. I love Ellen, but she drives me crazy.

"Ok. See you soon and goodbye. I'll see you out." I stand and walk towards the door. Ellen walks out and gets in her car after I escorted her there. Ellen makes me do this every time we see each other.

"Well, that's it for today. See you soon! Goodbye!" I wave and see her out. As much as I love her, Ellen can be a bit much at times. Thank goodness that was all. I then go back to my regular schedule happily.

January 11, 2022 22:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.