Secrets Of The Realms. Chapter One: The Sisters

Written in response to: Write a story about a group of sisters, or a group of brothers.... view prompt

12 comments

Adventure Kids

Once upon a time… 

There was a family of eight. Four sisters, two brothers, and two parents. Out of the six siblings, Dorothy, Wendy, and Alice were the closest. They would always spend their time making up stories about how one day the three of them would go on amazing adventures together. Those three were inseparable. That is, until they were seperated. 

Their father could not afford to house all six of his children in their London home. So he and his wife had to divide their happy family. 

Wendy and the boys stayed in London with their parents, Dorothy was sent to live with her Uncle Henry and Aunt Emerald in America (she even ended up adopting their last name), and Alice and Margaret (their other sister) went to live with their other Aunt Marygold  in the country. 

Aunt Marygold was always hard on Alice. Alice never wanted to practice her manners or clean, she simply wanted to explore and create things. Alice was an artist. She would spend hours upon hours drawing and building things that only she had ever dreamed of dreaming. Of course, Aunt Marygold never knew of this, and Alice liked it that way. However, without her sisters, she had no one to share them with and no one to escape to from her Aunt. So she would escape into herself which is no way to live.

Dorothy loved America. It was so much warmer on the farm than it was in London. She loved the fresh air and the wide open spaces. Though, there was one thing wrong with Kansas. Within a year, Dorothy and her dog, Todo, had seen and explored everything there was to see. It was the same thing every single day and what was worse, she was lonely. She missed her sisters and longed for companionship. 

Wendy adjusted to life without sisters. After all, she still had her two little brothers. However, she missed the adventure that living with her sisters had. Wendy would write every story they came up with down in her journal. Wendy loved to write but without her sisters she had no inspiration. She couldn’t even think of a hero for her story. She had written a story about a fair maiden, needing a hero to come and sweep her off her feet, but she just couldn’t think of anything. Things were so much easier with her sisters. 

Wendy, Dorothy, and Alice each believed that without their sisters they could not be happy. They believed that on their own, life was without meaning and adventure. If you were to ask the oldest person you knew, they would tell you that fate saw these sisters and her heart felt their pain and longing. She knew the need for love, escape, and adventure. So fate, if what the elderly say is true, sent her will into the worlds, and made the unimaginable happen. 

First was Dorothy. 

Fate sent a storm which took Dorothy and Toto away in their farm house. They flew and flew and flew and they landed in a very different place. She landed in a place called Oz, the first of the three realms. She had the adventure she was searching for. She set out to explore this land, and to find a way home as well. Along the way, she met a man who had been told his entire life that he had no brain and eventually he believed them. She met another man who was raised to put his emotions deep inside of himself so much so that he couldn’t feel anything. She then met another creature who had been treated horribly his whole life, and so even though he was a massive and ferocious creature, he feared that everything and everyone would wish to do him harm. But Dorothy, with her kind heart, saw past the insecurities they had been burdened with and suddenly, she had the companionship she had longed for. She then vanquished the wicked witch and traveled home using magic slippers.

Then was Alice.

Fate took her finger and turned the hands of a pocket watch that belonged to a particular rabbit. This rabbit, in a rush to not be late, ran past Alice who followed him. After all, if you see a creature wearing such strange clothes run past you claiming to be late, what else would you do? She followed the rabbit down his hole but the rabbit was unlike any rabbit she had ever met. That rabbit had dug a hole down to a place known as Wonderland, the second of the three realms. Down in Wonderland, Alice had discovered the excitement and adventure that she had been wishing for. She met some strange people, did some strange things, and played some strange games. She met a Hatter who she showed her designs to. Suddenly, Alice had a friend to share her inventions with. Alice then freed her new friend and his people from an evil ruler. No one knows how exactly, but she did go home. 

Lastly, Wendy.

Fate saw Wendy through her window. Smart, kind, beautiful. She needed a lover who would be fun and inspirational for her stories. Fate then separated a boy from his beloved shadow, and hid it in Wendy’s droor. The boy came, found the shadow and asked for Wendy to sew it back on. But when they looked into each other’s eyes, the boy knew Wendy was special. Wendy woke up her brothers, and together Wendy, her brothers, and the boy flew together to a place beyond the stars. A place named Neverland, the last of the three realms. There, Wendy found love and inspiration. And though she wished she could have stayed there forever, she knew they would have to return them home, but they had to handle a few pirates first. Once they did, the boy took them home, and gifted Wendy with one final kiss which she would never forget. 

The three sisters each found their worth in the other two sisters. However, it was only once the three were divided, that they discovered the magic within themselves. 

That’s the story everyone knows, and all of it’s true, but there are some pieces you don’t know, but I do. But to tell you these secrets, would take over an hour. And to do so, I must tell a tale that began long after. And don’t blink, because you just might miss a really great story, which starts like this…

February 01, 2022 01:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

04:34 Feb 05, 2022

I love when something happens in a story that I absolutely did not see coming! This is one of those stories. Well done, Jack Crisis. I must read more. Genevieve

Reply

Jack Crisis
15:30 Feb 05, 2022

Genevieve, If I may ask, what was it that you did not see coming? I am very happy you enjoyed this story. I am attempting something new. Recently I was told to write in the opposite genre of what I am used to and most comfortable in. Immediately, this idea came into my mind like a struck of lightning! So I “took it and ran” as some might say. There is another chapter. Jack Crisis.

Reply

18:52 Feb 05, 2022

I didn't see that your Wendy, Alice, and Dorothy would turn out to be THOSE girls. Very clever! I really like that kind of unexpected connection. This is the only story of yours I've read so far; is the next chapter already on Reedsy, or must I wait for it?

Reply

Jack Crisis
21:41 Feb 05, 2022

Oh. I see. Thank you. Yes it is on Reedsy. Although it’s not as interesting as this one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Enoch
20:20 Feb 04, 2022

Hey Jack, Thanks for the follow! I like your writing, and it makes me want to go back to horror stories. Stephan King says that he get's his material by imagining what would scare him and writing about that. It's helped me out of more than a few mental ruts. Best of luck, Kate Enoch P.S. Love the cool font

Reply

Jack Crisis
15:25 Feb 05, 2022

Hello Kate, You seem to have great choice in writers. Also a great choice in quotes. I do enjoy that quote. Personally, I find inspiration in what fears me, what has hurt me, and what scares others. Sincerely, Jack Crisis. P.S. Thank you. P.S.S. Apologies if the beginning of this comment seemed egotistical. I intended that to be a humorous statement.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delia Tomkus
12:18 Feb 02, 2022

I love this story! I like how you combined the classics together. The ending... so much suspense! Can't wait to see the rest

Reply

Jack Crisis
15:10 Feb 07, 2022

My deepest thanks, Delia.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
20:47 Feb 19, 2022

ooooooo I like the start of this series! The ending is very mysterious, and I want to turn the page to find out what happens. What did we not know from these classics? Really great job :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
06:41 Feb 03, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Jack Crisis
15:21 Feb 05, 2022

Why thank you. I hope you enjoy the next chapter.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jack Crisis
15:13 Feb 07, 2022

I am getting by. I have had instances where I am flooded with many ideas and inspirations at once, and my mind and body can’t take it so things don’t end well for me. How are you?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.