Turning to a friend in a time of need

Submitted into Contest #40 in response to: Write a story about someone turning to a friend in a time of need.... view prompt

1 comment

General

Flora and Anastacia have been best friends since they were in kindergarten.        They both came from large dysfunctional families.

That is what connected them. They understood each other's feelings.

Being at school was their safe place to be together, finding comfort in each other.

Flora was separated from her half sisters and brothers, because her parents were very poor and could not care for all the children. She was sent to live with an uncle who was financially well off and lived in the city, near the school flora had to attend. He was not married and did not have any children. Flora felt very lonely.

Anastacia's family was doing well financially, but her father drank too much and abused his family.

Her mother worked as a secretary for a car company and her father was a top sales-man for a Realestate company. Anastacia's parents were away from home working long hours. Her older sisters and brothers took care of her and her younger sister and brother. The children were lacking the discipline and love from their parents, they were left to their own devices most of the time and fights often broke out amongst them.

One day at school, flora noticed that Anastacia was keeping to herself. She went over to her and sat in front of her on the floor. Flora picked up a small red ball and rolled it to Anastacia, but she did not move. Flora took a yellow ball and rolled it toward Anastacia, still no response from her. Flora decided to sit closer to Anastacia, she gently touhed her friend's little hand and said, "are you mad at me Stacie?" Flora called her Stacie when they first met in Kindergarten class because she could not say her full name. A tear rolled down the little girl's cheek as she pulled her hand away from Flora. Flora was one year older than Stacie. She was also a foot taller, so she became protective of Stacie. Flora was six years old and Stacie was five at the time. Stacie was very thin and delicate while flora was tall, tough, and was not afraid of anyone. Stacie finally looked up at Flora and told her that her father yelled at her this morning for dropping her bowl, spilling some milk onto the floor.

She went on to say that, Jennifer hit her and took away the doll she was playing with. Jennifer was a big girl, big for being in First Grade and bigger than Flora, even tougher than flora. Flora said to Stacie, "I will get the doll back as soon as Jennifer puts it down." It wasn't long before Jennifer threw the doll on the floor, got on a tricycle and was about to ride right over the doll. Flora ran over and scooped up the doll just as Jennifer got close to it. Jennifer got off the tricycle and grabbed the doll from Flora, yelling, "that doll is mine!" Stacie ran up and stood beside Flora, in a strong voice she said, "I had that doll first, give it back!" Flora and Stacie held onto each other's hands very tightly, which give them both the courage to stand up against Jennifer, who was known as the class bully. Jennifer could handle one girl, but two together was a bit too much. Jennifer give the doll to Stacie and went back to ride the tricycle.

As the years pass and the girls grew up, they did everything together. They found comfort in other in their times of need, encouraged each other to press on when things seemed tough.

At the age of twelve, Anastacia's parents told her they have to move to another city. They told her, her father's company needed him to move and start sales in the area. This meant a new school and new friends. Anastacia was quite upset. She met with Flora one day after school to give her the news. Anastacia took hold of Flora's hands, looked her right in the eyes and said, "Flora, we will always remain best friends, no matter how far apart we are." Flora squeezed Stacie's hands, as tears rolled down their cheeks. The girls made a vow to stay in contact by writing letters to each other and visit during the summer.

One week before Anastacia's moving day, Flora came running up to her at school. She had been crying. She held onto Stacie's shoulders as she tried to get the words out. She said. "Stace, my uncle passed away last night." Her body shaking as she sobbed hard. "I have to move back to the country side with my mother, and half sisters and brohters. I don't know what to do." Flora had not seen her family for almost seven years, she did not really know them and was fearful they would not like her. Anastacia reminded Flora that she is now thirteen years old, very pretty and tough. She said, "you can get part time work at a clothing shop, or take care of a baby to make some money to buy your own clothes and food." Flora stopped crying and hugged Stacie. She paused for a moment, smiled and said, "you know Stace? you are such a good friend."

The girls spent every moment they could with each other before Stacie's big move.

On the day of Anastacia's move, Flora came by and helped her pack her things and load up the truck. While Stacie's family packed the rest of their belongings in the truck, the girls held hands as they walked along the path to say their last goodbyes to the neighbours. The dredging time came for Anastcia to leave her best friend behind. The girls hugged each other and cried as they parted. Stacie cried out through her tears, "I will always be your best friend, and I will write to you soon."

Every summer, the girls visit each other.

They were apart, but their friendship never weaned.

They kept their promise to encourage each other throughout their lifes' endeavors. Flora studied to be a cardio surgeon and worked in one of the top hospitals in England. Anastacia loved children and became a kindergarten teacher in her home town.

Anastacia received a letter from Flora late December 1961. Flora had fallen gravely ill. She was divorced with no children and no one to care for her in her time of need. Anastacia decided to go to England to care for her dearest friend.

The friends were together again.

They had tea together every morning, then strolled along the beach, slowly, for as long as Flora wanted. Anastacia took her close to the water, they stood there in silence as the tiny waves caressed their toes. Flora leaning against Stacie for support. She laid her head on Stacie's shoulder, "I would like to go in now," she whispered. Their time on the beach became shorter and shorter with each passing day. Anastacia could see that Flora was losing her strength, losing her will to carry on.

Anastacia sat beside Flora's bed as she lay silently, staring up at the ceiling. Without hesitation, Anastacia spoke in a strong voice as she took hold of Flora's hand, "Flora! I am your best friend, I am here with you in your time of need, please do not give up on yourself, on us." Tears flowed down the sides of Flora's face. She slowly turned her face toward her friend. Looking past Stacie, into the dimness of her room, she opened her mouth to speak, but the words would not come. Anastacia looked at her for a brief moment, gently rubbed her face and said, "rest for a while dear friend, I will be here when you wake, and will be for as long as you need me." She left the room and closed the door softly.

Anastacia prepared a delicious dinner for Flora, in fact, it was her favorite, chinese noodles with chicken and vegetables.

Just as she finished setting the table, Flora came out. She had showered and changed into a pretty yellow and white dress. Her hair combed and held with a yellow headband. Anastacia smiled at her and said, "you look beautiful."

Flora's spirits were brightened.

The friends had a wonderful dinner together.

They sat and talked about their childhood. Flora told Anastacia that she chose to study in England because she needed to be away from all the hardship and dysfunction of her family. She said, "I would not have made it if I didn't have you in my life." "I am also greatful that you are here in my time of need."

"I am always here for you."

 Dawne Thompson

May 06, 2020 16:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Fern Goodman
20:11 May 14, 2020

Dawne, your story Turning to a friend in a time of need is a sweet 'bestie' story. Makes me wish I had a friend like that. I liked how you let the reader follow the two girls throughout their life. I felt the writing could have used more contractions, like people normally speak. Also, try to tighten up your sentences, and do more showing instead of telling,for example; in the beginning referring to the uncle "He was not married and did not have any children. Flora felt very lonely. " Could have been written "Living alone with her bachelor ...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.