MYSTERIOUS DOOR, MYSTERIOUS ROOM

Submitted into Contest #223 in response to: Start your story with a student discovering a hidden room in a university library.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Mystery

What's that noise? knock, knock, tap, tap. I've been hearing that noise for a long time. I get up from my seat and begin to walk. I follow the noise to the back of the library. I don't believe my eyes. it's a door. It's unlike any door I ever seen. It doesn't match any door in the library. I open the door. It only opens half way. I can make out an empty room. I close the door.


I know the library very well. I've been coming to the library at Columbia university for the past three years. I walk pass this section of the library all the time and I never seen a door here.


Knock, knock, tap, tap. There goes the noise again. The noise is coming from behind the door. I'm the only one here. I walk up to the door and open it. Again it opens half way. I see nothing. The room is dark.


It's getting late. I head back, get my belongings and leave. I walk back to my dorm thinking about the mysterious room. I wonder why the door is there? Where does the room lead to? So many questions. Right now I'm too tired to think.


I enter my dorm, put my belongings on the floor, change my clothes and go to sleep. It feels good to close my eyes.


I see myself standing in front of the door. I can't move my body. Suddenly the door opens, a gush of wind comes out and pulls me inside. I feel like I'm falling but I'm not falling. The room is actually spinning and spinning, and spinning. Then the entire room stops spinning. I still can't move.


The gush of wind comes back. It pulls me out of the room and into another. This room has lights but nothing else. I'm finally able to move my body. Now I can't talk. I hear something. It's music. Where is the music coming from?


I bang on the wall. Nothing happens. So, I keep banging on the wall. The music stops. I stop banging on the wall. There is another door. I walk to the door. Before I get there, the door opens. A hooded figure walks-in. The hooded figure walks towards me. I walk back but the figure grabs me.


The figure begins to laugh, a menacing laugh. The only thing I see on the hooded figure is a skull and bones pin. The figure picks me ups off the ground and says "We are watching. We know who you are. Don't say a word." I fall to the ground.


The figure takes out a long knife. He lifts it up. I close my eyes. I wake-up. My body is sweaty. My heart is beating really fast. It was just a dream Holland. Shit! I'm late for class.


Class sucked today. Beside the weather being cloudy and rainy my professor was boring. He's never been this boring. I wonder what happened to him? I didn't pay attention to what the professor was saying. I can't stop thinking about my dream about the door about the room and the hooded figure.


It was just a dream. The skulls and bones are not real. It's a myth. Everyone on campus knows the skull and bones are just a myth. The dream did seem all too real for me. I will never forget that menacing laugh.


I heard about the skull and bones from my friend Wendy. She told me the skull and bones are a secret society that operated right here on campus. Students and professors are among its members. I didn't believe it because it's just a myth. Myths are not real.


I'm so ready for this day to end. I couldn't concentrate all day now I'm in my last class. I'm all too ready for this day tone over. The mysterious door has been on my mind this whole day. I don't know how to explain it.


Thank God! class is finally over. I rush out of class and out of the building. I begin to walk when I feel someone is following me. I turn around and no one. My stomach is growling. I leave campus and head to my favorite restaurant.


I still feel someone is watching me. I once again turn around and once again I see no one. It must be my imagination. I enter the restaurant and sit in my favorite spot.


I order my usual. It feels good to be outside campus where I feel free. Being stuck inside campus day after day night after night gives me a headache. This is just what I need to relieve the pressure of my everyday life.


I get my food. The food smells good. I begin to eat. Mmmmmmm taste so good. What was that? It's the laugh I heard in my dreams. A few tables from where I'm sitting, I spot a group of people dressed in black. They are laughing but one person's laugh sounds familiar to me.


I keep watching them. They haven't noticed me. Oh shit! Here they come. I duck my head down. I pretend I'm still eating which of course I am. Okay, Holland this is all in your head. I pay and leave. Time to go to the library.


I'm back at the library, the place is half full. I'm studying for a big exam in my Psychology class. I haven't been doing wee in that class. I have to pass or else I will be placed on academic probation. I can't afford that. I'm so engrossed in what I'm reading that I don't hear people walking pass me. But then I look up.


They go to the far end of the library. I see they are the same people from the restaurant. I get back to studying. Then once again I hear the same menacing laugh. I look at the people, it's the guy in the middle. I don't recognize him.


Oh crap! he sees me looking at him. I look away as fast as possible. I continue studying. I'm, getting so tired. All of a sudden, the library lights are turned off. Then the lights turn on. What just happened? I look all around me. No one is here not even the strange group of people.


Knock, knock, tap, tap. There goes that noise again. I ignore it. Knock, knock, tap, tap. Knock, knock, tap, tap. Knock, knock, tap, tap. Oh My God! I can't take it anymore. I get up and walk to the back of the library.


The mysterious door is there. It's open. The strange group of people are going through the door. What is in the room? What should I do? Going into the unknown is a big no no. I will wait right here to see what's going on.


It's after mid-night. I'm so tired. My eyes are closing, the door is still there. Maybe it's time for me to go back to my room. I grab my stuff and leave the library. I walk quickly across campus. I made it safely to my dorm. I walk-up the stairs to my room. I open the door, drop my belongings on the floor, change my clothes, jump into bed and close my eyes.


Oh My God! I'm back in my dream the same one I had the night before. Wake-up Holland. No, I don't want to go through the door. I don't want to go inside the room. I thrash and thrash and thrash until I finally wake-up in a heap of sweat.


Over the next few months, I go to the library see the door and have the same dream night after night. I don't know what's behind the door or in the room nor do I want to find out.


I've come to the conclusion that I am somehow connected to the door or the door is connected to me. Whatever is behind the door. Whatever inside the room is going to remain a mystery.

November 09, 2023 22:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.