0 comments

Coming of Age Fiction Romance

Dearest Friar Laurence, 

As you know, the love between Romeo and I burns as brightly as ever, a god given star that pierces the darkness of war between our families. Since you kindly married us in secret, there have been serious developments that have led to Romeo’s banishment from the city, following his decision to murder my cousin, in his mind enacting revenge over the death of his best friend. I am devastated, but God in heaven has decided that my heart only beats for Romeo, even when considering the fate of my own flesh and blood. 

 I am sure he must be hiding away with you - you must inform him post haste of his banishment so that we may have one final meeting before he departs. Oh the cruel twists of the lord’s plan for us to be reunited so that our families may stop with all this killing and bloodshed! 

With my marriage to Count Paris pressing ever closer, I am forced to consider extremities to enable the aforementioned union and escape a life of loneliness in a gilded cage, a servant to my family's extraneous and unachievable expectations, a song of love trapped in my throat. Without Romeo, my life withers away to the four walls of this very room I write from now, and I know I will wilt like a rose under the heat of scrutiny. 

 There is no way we can be together in this city of heat and violence. Yet, with the help of your brave heart and wondrous mind, we may escape and begin our married life together. I am sure that time will heal all wounds from the recent past, especially when our parents see the true and heavenly love we share. I know that is your deepest wish, that we may live in a peaceful city where love blossoms. 

 I have seen your passion for the medicinal powers of the plants you grow behind the Abbey, and wondered how far your knowledge extends. I know you help the people of the city heal their ailments, perhaps you may now heal two lovesick lovers of their forced separation and end our suffering?

 I propose the only remedy to this calamity I can think of - a potion that enables a deathlike state so that we can fake our own deaths and then leave the city in the uproar that follows. We can then return in several years to reveal the truth, at which point the severity of conflict may have lessened. This will have to be carefully planned, and I will therefore layout my inner workings. 

 After one last night together, Romeo can agree to his banishment and leave shortly after. I will then take the potion and appear dead. Once my family have discovered me and gotten over their initial shock, I will be left alone, at which point I can escape and meet Romeo at the border of Mantua, and we can start our new life together, spending our days in worship and forever indebted to your kindness. 

 I have not much else to give for your services, if you agree to the plan. As a holy man I know material possessions are of little interest. But I promise you this - whatever family heirloom you desire I will give to you as a humble gift of thanks, which if sold across the border will provide enough to keep you warm and fed for the rest of your days.

Love always, 

Juliet 

~

Dear Juliet, 

 I have seen first hand the true and heaven sent love that you share with Romeo, and it was this that led me to agree to marry you in secret in the first instance. I need no assurance of its existence.

I have Romeo here with me at the abbey, hiding from the Prince. I will tell him shortly of his banishment and relay your desire to meet again, one last time, before he bows to the law and leaves for Mantua. 

 In answer to your plan, I agree that your union is essential in healing the rift between your two families, and that it is God's wish that your union bring peace to our city. My knowledge of potions is expansive, and I can indeed create a potion that will allow you to look sufficiently dead enough that your own family will believe it, whilst you live and breathe as though deeply asleep. Once given an antidote, you will once again appear alive and well, and make a full recovery so that you can meet Romeo on the border. I will tell him that Balthasar will bring news from Verona. 

I will make sure to create the potion and antidote as quickly as possible so that your plan may come to fruition. 

 I agree that your impending marriage to Paris must be avoided - do what you can to slow the coming of your wedding day whilst I brew the potion. 

 As for your family heirlooms, you have no need to give me anything at all. The simple knowledge that your union can continue to blossom and that you will return in time to end the violent war in our beloved Verona is enough of a payment for my services. I know that you will worship the Lord, our God, most furtively daily in your new life. Come to the Abbey in three days, I will have everything you need ready. 

May I suggest that we keep this plan from Romeo? I fear if he knows of it he will be too fearful of your health to allow it to unfold, and you will be forced to marry Paris and forget about a true love union. I, of course, would spread news of your marriage to the people of Verona but may be imprisoned for my actions in marrying you without parental consent.  

Take care and all my love, 

Friar Laurence

~

Dear Friar Laurence, 

That is wonderful news, thank you with all my heart! You have saved me again from the torture of being apart from the man I love! 

I agree, let us keep this from Romeo for now. When he hears of my death he will return, then you can enlighten him in secret and we can escape shortly after. 

I will come on the third day to collect the potion as you suggest. You have my word that Godly worship will be always at the forefront of our minds and central to our marriage. 

Love always, 

Juliet 

July 04, 2024 16:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.