2 comments

Friendship Romance Sad

Mike let a handful of sand slide through his fingers. He stared at Jenny. She hadn’t changed a bit. It was five years since they’d had that awful row. He couldn’t even remember what the argument was about. All he remembered was Jenny storming off and then sending him a text to say it was over between them. Now, quite by accident they were together on their favourite stretch of beach on the anniversary of their breakup.

Jenny looked straight ahead. She loved to hear the seagulls and watch the waves crashing on the shore.

“Do you remember how we used to walk on top of the cliffs?” Mike said as he raised his arm and pointed to his left.

Jenny glanced toward the high white cliffs as memories stirred inside her.

You never, ever held my hand and always walked a few paces ahead of me. I was scared stiff when you got too close to the cliff edge. She thought.

“I’d run ahead of you and take photos of the wind blowing your hair in your eyes. You always looked so serious. Maybe it was the cold wind up there on the cliffs.”

You always looked like an idiot and people thought you were going to either jump off or fall off. No wonder I looked serious. You’d take me up there no matter what the weather and never listened to me when I said I was cold and wanted to get back into the car. She thought.

Mike picked up some more sand and a handful of pebbles and began making an image of a flower in the sand. “What about that time I bought you a massive bunch of red roses for your birthday. We had to go out and buy three vases to put them in because you didn't have any big enough.”

My birthday was the day before. You forgot my birthday and you forgot to turn up for our dinner date. I had to make up some excuse about us both being sick and cancel the table. You only remembered my birthday after seeing all my cards on the windowsill. Jenny was deep in thought.

“Would you like an ice-cream Jenny? Shall I go and get you one? Your favourite is the strawberry isn’t it? I won’t be long.” Said Mike as he fiddled with the change in his trouser pocket.

My favourite ice-cream is raspberry ripple actually, and I love candy floss. Jenny thought.

“Here you are Jenny. You’d better take it quick as it’s dripping down the cone. I’ve bought us both some candy floss too. I thought you might like it. A reminder of the good old days.”

“Thanks Mike. Yes, I do love candyfloss. How’s your Mum these days? I miss our little chats. Sorry to hear about your dad. Your friend David told me he’d passed away but I didn’t have an address or phone number for you so I couldn’t let you know how sorry I was.”

“Oh, that’s all right. Water under the bridge now Jenny. Mum’s fine. Well, sort of. Yes, we all miss dad. Mum has asked about you a few times. But like you say we lost touch. I changed my mobile and you must have too because I did try to get hold of you.”

“Yes, I did change it and I live with a group of girls now in a house that’s been turned into flats.”

“Sounds nice. I moved back in with mum, but you wouldn’t have known that anyway. Strange us meeting up here like this. I thought it was you as I passed by the pier and then as I got closer, I realised it was you. Hope I didn’t startle you too much when I called out your name.” Said Mike.

“No, you didn’t startle me. I could hardly hear you though above the sound of the waves crashing and the seagulls overhead. Good job you came over or we would have missed each other.” Said Jenny.

“Yes,” said Mike as he sat on the sand beside Jenny.

I wish he’d put his arm around me. Thought Jenny.

“Are you doing anything this evening?” Said Mike.

“Nothing really. The girls often go out on a Saturday. I sometimes go with them. I might tonight if I feel like it. But then, again, I might not. It all depends on how I feel really.”

“What are you doing this evening Mike?”

“Oh, I’ll probably sit in the hotel. I’m staying at The Grand. They have a pianist in the bar most nights. I’ll sit and listen to the music and then probably have an early night. I’ve got to get back to mum in the morning. I just came down for a couple of nights. To get away from it all you see. I do quite a bit for mum these days and it can be rather tiring. I just needed a break and thought the fresh sea air would do me good. Then I saw you.” Said Mike

“Yes, strange that. I don’t often come to the beach on my own and especially at weekends when it can get rather crowded.” Said Jenny.

“Do you remember that row we had Jenny?”

“Not really.”

How could I forget it? She thought.

“I don’t even recall what it was about now Jenny. Do you?”

“No, I don’t. I don’t recall what we argued over.” Said Jenny.

I caught you snogging with Amanda at the party. You won’t remember you were too drunk. Amanda had been after you for weeks and you couldn’t keep your hands of her. Jenny’s face flushed a little as she remembered that dreadful night.

“Do you ever hear from your friend Amanda at all? I heard from David that you had had a big fallout with her. Is that true? She’s quite a nice girl and I thought she was your best friend.” Said Mike.

“She was” Said Jenny. “But she isn’t any more.”

“Oh, shame that. Such a good-looking girl too.”

Yes, I bet in your eyes she was better looking than me and she had bigger boobs than mine too. Thought Jenny.

“She was quite shapely too, If my mind still serves me well, Jenny.” Said Mike.

“Yes, she was quite shapely. She took up modelling you know.” Said Jenny.

“Oh Wow,” Said Mike. “Look, would you like to spend the evening with me back at the hotel. We can have a meal and listen to the pianist if you like or take a walk along the promenade together. It’ll be just like old days.” Said Mike.

“No, I don’t think so Mike. Thanks for asking. I’ll probably just stay in and have my usual pizza and watch a film. The girls will be there and they’re good company.” Said Jenny.

“But I thought.” Said Mike.

“You thought what, Mike?” said Jenny.

“I thought that maybe we could begin where we left off. I thought we could get back together again. I thought this was not a coincidence but was meant to be, Jenny.”

“No Mike. What you’ve been thinking about isn’t going to happen. What you remember is another you, another me, another us.”

February 19, 2021 16:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Beth Shelton
17:19 Feb 25, 2021

I love the way you go between his words and her thoughts, revealing everything the reader needs to know about the characters. Excellent writing!

Reply

Barbara Burgess
07:44 Feb 26, 2021

Thank you very much for your kind comments. I was not sure how to put Jenny's thoughts on paper. Glad you enjoyed the story. Thanks again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.