The Best Fall Ever

Submitted into Contest #264 in response to: End your story with someone saying “I do.”... view prompt

0 comments

Friendship High School

**Haley**

I’m Haley Johnson, and I have a heart condition called arrhythmia. I found out a few weeks ago when I fainted due to low blood flow. I used to have a dream—a dream of skydiving. My mom even promised to take me on my 16th birthday, which is in a few days. But now, that seems very unlikely…

"Mom, we need milk, meat, flour, potatoes, sugar, fish, butter, and salt." As I walk down the baking aisle, I spot Ethan’s family and Andy’s family. The parents are chatting while Ethan and Andy play around. I’ve never understood why Ethan is friends with Andy. Ethan is a good student and stays out of trouble, while Andy is the exact opposite. I grab the flour and notice Andy pointing at me, with Ethan shaking his head. As I pick up the sugar, Ethan comes over and asks, "Do you want to go skydiving with me?" 

Skydiving has been my dream, but no one knows about my arrhythmia except my best friends. It takes me a moment to process his question. I want to do it, but maybe I shouldn’t. 

"Well, Haley? What’s it going to be?"

"I’ll need time to think about it," I reply. "I’ll also have to ask my mom. Did your mom say yes?"

"Yeah," Ethan says, "I’ll give you my phone number so you can text or call me if your mom says yes and you decide to go. Then we can figure out the date and everything."

"Okay, but why are you asking me?"

"Well, my mom bought two tickets for me and Andy, but Andy chickened out. You happened to be there, so I asked you."

**Ethan**

I can’t believe I did what Andy suggested, and I can’t believe Haley actually said she’d think about it. I was sure she’d say no. After we finish talking, I jog back to Andy and tell him she said maybe. Normally, I’d head to Andy’s house, but tomorrow we have a field trip to a museum, and we have to wake up early. Haley is in the same homeroom class as me, and our teacher, Ms. Anderson, said we’re in the same group for the field trip, so I can ask her again then.

"Can you pass me the salt?" I ask Jacob, my older brother.

"Here," he says.

"Also, can I borrow some of your games? I need them for the bus."

"Of course," Jacob replies. Why is he being so nice? Jacob usually pranks me. He must want something. I’d better get what I can before he asks for anything in return. 

"Can I have some of your candy?" I ask.

He hesitates. "Fine."

"Can I use your computer?"

"Sure." He’s never gone this far before…

As I’m packing the games in my bag, Jacob comes in. "Hey Ethan, I heard that Andy freaked out and said he didn’t want to go skydiving with you. Have you found anyone to go with you? Because I can go."

So that’s why he was being so nice. "Maybe. I asked a friend, and she said she’d think about it."

"You asked a girl? Isn’t she gonna freak out like Andy did?"

"Haley isn’t like that!" I insist, though I’m not entirely sure.

**Haley**

"Bye, Mom!"

"Have a great day at school!"

"Wait, Mom, I have to ask you something."

"Yes?"

"Well, do you know Ethan?"

"Oh, that nice boy in your homeroom? The one we met at the open house last week?

"Yeah, that one. He asked me if I wanted to go skydiving with him. Can I, Mom?" I realize I’ve said that way too fast.

"Honey, you remember that you have arrhythm—"

"Yeah, Mom, I know, but—"

"No, honey. I’m sorry, but I have to say no. Ask your dad, and he’ll say no too. Of course he will, and so will I. We want you to be safe. It wasn’t even safe before we knew you had arrhythmia."

"Okay, bye."

"Bye, honey."

**Ethan**

"Haley, did your mom and dad say yes?"

"No, but I’m not even sure if I want to do it."

"Maybe my mom can talk to your mom, and then you can decide."

"Okay, that sounds great! Bring your mom over to my house after school, and we’ll see how it goes."

"Sounds good."

**Haley**

Asking my mom turned out to be a disaster. Maybe I should have asked more gently, not so directly. Now that I think about it, I’m risking my life just because I want to skydive.

"Oh, Mom, I forgot—Ethan and his mom are coming over."

"Haley Grace Johnson! You don’t just invite guests over without asking me! Even your dad doesn’t do that!"

Oh yeah, I remember that time Dad got in serious trouble. It was kinda funny. "Mom, I’m sorry, but it’s for a very good reason."

"Is it about the skydiving thing again? Haley, we already talked about this. My answ—"

Perfect timing. "Mom, let’s talk about this later—they’re here."

**Ethan**

When I told my mom we were going to Haley’s house to convince her mom, my mom refused and said, "If her mom doesn’t want her to go, just leave them alone." But, long story short, we made it to Haley’s house. I think I heard Haley’s mom scolding her about having guests over. Anyway, Haley’s mom—who introduced herself as Laura Johnson—let us in. The wallpaper is ivory, they have a big oak table, and lots of paintings. What I’m trying to say is, they’re rich. But Haley’s room is very cozy. It’s light pink and has fairy lights.

"Your room is very cozy," I say.

"Thanks! I tried my best."

"Ummmm, so…"

**Haley**

This is kinda awkward. I have nothing to say. I check my phone: 3:57.

"Do you like designing your room?" Ethan asks.

"Yeah, I actually redesign my room almost every month. Do you design your room?"

"Well, I haven’t designed it since… I can’t remember."

For some reason, that’s funny. I can’t help but burst out laughing. Ethan starts laughing too.

"Do you like video games? I have some in the living room," I say.

"I love video games!"

We’ve probably been playing and talking for hours now. I check my phone: 5:24. I wonder why the moms are taking so long.

"Do you know why the moms are taking so long?" I ask.

"Don’t know. We should probably get going anyway."

"Wait, Ethan!"

"What?"

"It’s really important, and I think you should know."

"Okay."

I don’t know why, but I feel the urge to tell him. "I have a heart condition called arrhythmia. I found out a few weeks ago, and I really want to go skydiving with you!" I feel tears streaming down my face. "My mom promised to take me on my 16th birthday, but now she won’t, and it’s a bigger risk..."

"Haley, I didn’t know you felt that way. I’m sorry."

I feel stupid now. "When’s your birthday?"

I wipe my tears. "In three days."

"You aren’t having a party?"

"Well, I was planning to skydive with some friends. Then I fainted, got diagnosed with arrhythmia, and all my plans were ruined."

"Oh…"

**Ethan**

I feel bad for Haley. I had no idea what she was going through.

"Ethan! Time to go! I have to make dinner!"

"Come on, Haley, and don’t worry—I won’t spill the beans."

"Thanks, and sorry for crying."

"It’s fine."

"Thank you for being a great friend."

Oh! I don’t really get hugged a lot. I guess I should pat her on the back?

“Haley! Ethan!”

“Coming!” 

Haley 

“Kids, I have decided to give the decision to Haley. Haley, you can do whatever you want.”

I have been dreaming of this day since 1st grade! Should I go with Ethan?

“Haley Johnson, will you go skydiving with me?”

I have made up my mind.

“I DO!”

August 23, 2024 11:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.