0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

The largest tavern in Rubi Isle (which is on planet tellus – earth’s twin) was owned by Lima wife of a prosperous fishmonger. Lima was overly fond of gossip and many customers both male and female would openly recount to her whatever they had to say. Lima was tall and hefty and quite good looking with sumptuous female fittings.

That day a woman dropped in and Lima said “Koma it been weeks since I’ve seen you.”

“Lima there was a problem. You know my husband is wayward.”

“Continue. I must hear.”

“I’m ashamed to talk about it.”

“We’re women and there is no shame in sharing our experiences.”

After a pause Koma said “You know our flower seller’s daughter?”

“Of course. The ripe kid. Despite being a woman I’m tempted to seize her and hold her down. That is the way the kid is endowed.”

Kona laughed and said “He somehow befriended her and, and….”

“Continue. I want to hear it all.”

“The girl’s mother told me. It seems he took her in his boat. He is a fisherman.”

“What did he do? Tell me all.”

“What can happen between a man and a grown girl?”

“I must know all.”

“It seems he had promised to introduce her to a certain jeweler who was wanting to marry.”

“I suppose he cheated her.”

“No. He took her in his boat and let it sink near a lonely coast and…”

“Raped her. What else will a man do?”

“Not once. He kept her in his custody and used her plentifully. She has forgotten about the jeweler and wants my husband to marry her. I don’t want a co-wife.”

“Then what happened?”

“The girl has come to stay in my house. See her temerity!”

“And your husband and the girl are at it regularly?”

“Yes. Day in and day out and I’m left out. I’m not even allowed to participate though I lie all wet watching the proceedings and hopeful I would be similarly handled.”

“I know your suffering you poor thing. Why don’t you muscle your way in?”

“No way. When I draw near she shouts that he has had enough in his hands without my coming in the way.”

“Why don’t you take on with your husband?”

“I wish I could. But he lies totally drained.”

Lima laughed and said “Though I sympathize with you I’ve to give the girl her due.”

“Sometimes I feel like taking a knife and chopping off my husband’s merchandise.”

“That would be wrong. That means you would be left with nothing if that girl lets go.” Lima paused and said “I’ve a suggestion. Consult the witch doctor Wizma. She could cast a spell temporarily disabling him where it matters”

“Thank you for the suggestion. I’ll go and see Wizma”

A little while later, Lima was talking to another patron known as FM.

FM said “Lima, you know I’m handicapped.”  A part of his left palm had been bitten away by a wild beast.

“Yes. What of it?”

“Because of it my wife left me.”

“I’m quite surprised. If your manhood had been affected I can agree. It’s only a part of the left palm”

“I also lost money gambling. When I sought support from my wife she left me.”

“That means you’ve no food and no woman.”

“You’re wrong. I’ve found a gypsy girl to stand in. She feeds me and allows me to enjoy her but she wants me to marry her.  How can I marry a gypsy? It would be demeaning”

“You don’t seem to have a choice.”

He was silent a few moments and then said “You know so many women. Why don’t you suggest to one to marry me?”

“Why would any girl want to marry you – a man without money?”

“I produced three children in three years. Someone could need my services?”

She thought a few moments and said “It is a strange request. I suggest you speak to the witch doctor Wizma. She could perhaps help. I’ll keep your request in mind though it is unlikely someone would seek your service.”

“Thank you. It is a good suggestion. I’ll meet Wizma.”

A couple of days later Lima and ḥer husband Zeq were in bed at night. A word about Zeq who wasn’t a native of Rubi Isle but was from neighboring territory of Zygos.. He was a tall handsome man - an expert at fishing. He would go to sea and often bring back prize catches. Lima had a reputation of having been a little loose when in her earlier years but had somehow landed Zeq.. She would share her gossip with Zeq every night.

After she had narrated the gossip about Koma and FM he said “I had a strange encounter today. I ran into a tall handsome man with the tattoo of a fish on his shoulder. He didn’t give me his name. I’ll call him Tat.”

“On which shoulder was the fish tattoo?”

He thought a bit and said “On his right shoulder.”

She then listened to him in silence.

“Tat appeared a very nice man and I invited him for a drink in our tavern.”

“Then,,,”

“I said my wife owns the tavern and he could meet her. But he turned me down. He said he had been away almost 5 years and felt his return could cause problems. He had been tricked by some woman who had promised to marry him but had ditched him. Of course she had secretly had a good time with him before that. He paused and added “Tat was unlike others I have met.”

“What else did he say?”

“He said if he is seen here there could be a lot of gossip. He felt it better for him to leave .He said he was going to some land even beyond Zygos, that meant very far away.” She was silent. He said “I wish he had spoken to you. You could’ve perhaps got his life story. I had a feeling that he perhaps had a fling with someone well-known here but wanted to avoid locals. I’m sure his story would have been interesting. But he was set on leaving RI for good.”

“Forget about the stranger. It is strange to find you turning away from me when I’m waiting for you to handle me. Your handling me sends me to heaven and beyond.”

He sighed and took her in his arms. She felt the best news she had of the day was the disappearance of Tat. Hadn’t she had a fling with him and then ruthlessly ditched him? She wished people wouldn’t gossip about her old days in RI and about her forsaking Tat. Zeq shouldn’t  know her perfidy!

END

May 28, 2023 12:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.