0 comments

Romance Coming of Age Asian American

“It’s mine, and you can’t have it!”, said my best friend. I was shocked. What does he mean? I've liked her for years, he's only wanted her for a day! “but you’ve only liked her for like a day”, I replied. “It's actually been a whole month, and I think I deserve her more than you”, said Jeremy. I gave him a disapproving look and said, “whoever gets her first, can have her”, I said. “deal” he replied. I think I’ll have a chance but Jeremy and Emily are way closer than me. Geez, why does Jeremy have to like her?! I wish he wouldn’t have, out of everyone why her? I saw Emily in the corner of my eye looking beautiful as ever. I looked over at Jeremy and he was in awe. She saw us and came up to us. She waved at us and yelled,” Hey Allen and Jeremy!" I smiled, and yelled back, “Hey Emily”! Jeremy looked a bit pissed, and he yelled,” Hey Emily, love your fit”! She smiled at him, and Jeremy started to grin at me. I just rolled my eyes at him, we planned on going to the arcade with Emily and a couple of our friends! It was my time to shine, I need to figure out how I'm gonna do this.

So, I think I'm gonna tell her best friend, Avery that I like Emily. From that Avery and I will work together and plan some alone time. I think this could actually work! I quickly text Avery to meet me at the arcade early so I can explain to her. She finally came. We went inside and I asked for a table inside the diner. She asked, “So why did you want to meet with me, you said it had to be A.S.A.P.”. “So, basically I have something to confess, I've liked Emily for the longest time, and I'm trying to get with her before we have to graduate”.  She made gave me a look and busted out laughing, “bro, everyone knows this already it was kinda obvious”! My jaw dropped, and I made it obvious. “But I didn't even do anything to make it obvious”? “Haha, you really did everyone sees the way you look at her and get flustered”, said Avery. “Everyone knows to expect you too, and not to mention I’m liked 80 percent sure that Emily also likes you, Allen”. Wait what, ain't no way! “But, I think she might like Jeremy, I’m sorry man”. Oh. “Well, you'll still help me right”? I asked. She nodded and we discussed how we were gonna do this. After an hour it was when we were supposed to meet so we went to the designated meeting place. 

Since Emily is usually early I knew I could do this. I smiled as soon as I saw her coming inside. I waved at her and she waved back. Perfect, I went up to her and saw that she was wearing another great stylish outfit! White cargo and a black crop top. I told her I liked her outfit and she said thanks! I swear I saw her blushing. I might be delusional, Aha! We ordered some fries while waiting for the rest to arrive after 25 minutes everyone was finally there. 

Her face lit up once Jeremy arrived, God. What am I gonna do I cannot handle this. Whatever, we still have time to start our plan. Avery nodded at me and I nodded back, it was time. “I need to go to the restroom”, I said. Avery replied, “so do I, can you come with me, Emily”? She said sure and followed us there! Avery went it and Emily waited outside, I quickly just washed my hands. And went out to Emily, I asked her if she wanted to go get some boba with me after everyone leaves and she smiled and replied saying of course. Avery finally came out and we went back to the rest of the group. Okay, this is gonna work. I whispered to Avery that the plan has worked. 

It was time to go play the games at the arcade, this was when I was gonna make the most of our time together. The whole entire day I tried to subtly flirt with her. I think it worked because she was smiling the whole time and we almost even held hands. Geez, this may be the day I'm gonna confess. I think I'm gonna do it when we get boba together. I can't stop looking at her she's just so beautiful. The time quickly ran out and we went to Tea Fusion the boba shop and got boba. At the cash register when we got our boba the server said, “you too are such a cute couple”! I didn't know what to say I was so red. I looked over at Emily and she was whispering into the server's ear. I'm not entirely sure what she said. But the server nodded and said, “oh I see, got it”. We waited for our order to come we got two boba she ordered honeydew and I ordered a jasmine tea. We also got a Bánh mì to share. 

It came out after a while and she told me that she had to tell me something and to not overthink it no matter what. “Oh, what is it”, I replied. My heart was beating so fast that I thought I was gonna die. Is this the moment? “I've liked you for some time now”, she said. WHAT?!?!?! I was so surprised. I smiled and replied, “So have I, in fact, I was gonna tell you today as well”! She looked surprised then started laughing we ended up hanging out the whole day. We went out into the city to go look at the sunset together. Today was the best day ever, I can't believe that I finally managed to do this. I dropped her off at her house. I and her are planning on going on more dates. She said bye and ended the day with a kiss.

February 12, 2023 16:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.