0 comments

Kids

By:Emma Ebiner

Wow, I can’t believe this. My thoughts swirled around my head. My race is the biggest deal of my life, and everything I wished for.

I was born August 3, 2008 in the poor parts of North Carolina.  I was homeschooled until 6th grade where a big part of my life began. 

Middle school is a big time for a kid's life. It’s time for changes, and of course, being homeschooled, and the new girl, plus poor did not help. I still remember my first day exactly. 

“Mommmmmm…. hurry up. I’m going to be late.” I said yelling. “And I don’t want to be late for my first day of school, ever!!!” “Don’t worry Ashley, we will get there in plenty of time” my mom said assuring me. I looked outside while driving, noticing all the sights. For some reason, North Carolina looked more beautiful than normal. I couldn’t wait to get there to school. When I got there I was so excited I could barely hold my breath. My school was called Richman Middle School and was humongous. Bigger than any school I had ever seen. I got into a private school through a scholarship. There were three classes for each class. So I was not used to it. When I got out of the car I went straight to the office, to see what 6th-grade class I was in and my schedule. When I got into the office it was luxurious. Nice carpets, and beautiful wooden desks for the secretary. There were some lush, soft sofas with the color of baby blue. There were also two chairs to the side of the sofa, both with beautiful silky fabric, and a comfortable sitting. The sectarian told me to sit down. 

“Olivia Revira,” the secretary called my name interrupting my thoughts. “I’m here,” I said replying. “Okay, so this is your schedule, I can show you where everything is if you want.” She gave me my schedule and I looked down and read it quickly. Then something caught my eye. My eyes got huge. “Ummm excuse me, but I signed up for art class for my elective, not horseback riding,” I said frantically. “Oh I’m sorry, I forgot to notify your parents, that since you signed up late, art class was already taken, so we assigned you to an activity that we desperately need people. You will love horseback riding, and all the instructors are very good. The horse is great too, and if you are good, you can even enter competitions!!” the lady seemed very excited that I was in this class, so I went back to my seat without a word. I knew no matter how much I pleaded I could not get out of horseback riding, lets just hope my fear of horses will get better by the afternoon. As I sat down I felt dazed. I didn’t want to horseback ride. I was scared of horses. I looked down at my schedule. English Langue Arts, then Math, then a short break, then science, and history, and then my baking class and the dreaded horse lessons.  My thoughts were swirling around my head when the bell rang. I was still in the office since the sectary was going to bring me to my class to get introduced. I could have skipped that part and gone by myself. It’s not like I’m going in the middle of the year, I was there on the first day of school. “Okay Ashley, come on it is time.” the sectary said smiling at me. We both walked the grand halls, and I felt proud to be there. I was ready for anything the world threw at me, except horseback riding. 

“Okay everyone, we have a new student here today.” the teacher who I learned the name was Mr.Beck said. “You can introduce yourself, and say a fun fact about yourself.” Mr. beck said. “Okay well, my name is Ashley and I’ve been homeschooled my entire life  “Well Ashley, we are very happy to have you in our class. “We hope you enjoy Ridgewood, you can sit over there. “thank you so much,” I said. As I walked into my chair which was two rows from the front. I walked past a brown haired girl with beautiful blue eyes. She gave me a sweet shy smile. I smiled back at her and noticed she had a horse pen in her hand. I was hoping she was in my horse class. She seemed nice, and maybe she could give me some tips. 

As I got into my seat, I noticed a girl next to me, she was staring, but not very nice. She had blond hair with pink tips, and a lot of makeup on. She was giving me a face like I was garbage. I did not mind though because that was her problem. 

“Okay everyone, science today is the first day of school, we will be doing a worksheet to get to know each other.” Mr beck said happily. “You can work in pairs or groups, or individually if you wish.  It’s a fun assignment, and you can talk, but not too much chit chat. I got up, asking if anyone had a partner. I asked about half the kids in the class until I got a good response. “I would love to do it with you. “ the brown-haired girl said to me. “great, let’s get to work,” I said as we both found a spare round table we could work on. “Let me introduce myself,” the girl said “my name is Samatha.” she simile at me, and I was surprised. I was really happy to be in the same class as her. “Well as you know my name is Ashley,” I said to her smiling. “That is a beautiful name,” she said in reply. “Thank you,” I said. “Okay, let’s get started. What’s the first question.” “what’s your favorite color,” Samantha said. We went to work. 

“Finally lunch!!!” I said happily to Samatha. The day so far has been good. In math, the teacher did get a little mad at me, and said that quote on quote “unteachable.” Because I had failed a math placement test. Then we had a 20-minute break. I realized after, in science that Samatha was in all of my classes and so were the other kids I saw in the morning. In history, I had Mr.beck again, who by far seems like my favorite teacher. During history, he explained what we were going to be learning later in the year. And from his preview, it all seemed very interesting. 

“So what do they give for food here?” I asked Samatha. “Oh it’s delicious,” she said with a hungry expression on her face. “They give high-quality food, like steaksks, and yummy mash potatoes.” As Samantha kept naming foods, my mouth watered. When I got my food and sat down I could not wait to try it. The smell just made my mouth water, even more than it already was. The first bite of the steak was wonderful, and a food changing experience. I eat it up quickly and went on to my mash potatoes which I finished up just as quickly. After I was done with that, I gotta eat the fanciest thing on my plate. Double chocolate cake. It looked beautiful;l, something that could be served at a wedding. 

“Wow, you eat fast,” Samantha said. “Sorry, but it’s all so good,” I said back laughing. “So what’s your elective?  I asked. “Well, I choose horseback riding, oh and baking. “Yes,” I said. “Those are the electives I choose.  Knowing Samatha would be with me I was a little calmer. “Is it hard”? I asked nervously. “Horseback riding, well you have to get used to the horse, get comfortable. They start you off slow, walking, trotting, grooming. We soon build-up, and go on trail rides, and cantering, and if you get really good, you can maybe start on some jumps or racing around barrels!!! We can even enter competitions, once we reached a certain level!!” Samatha words came out fast, but clear. “Have you entered any competitions, I asked. “Yes, but only one. It was super fun though and I came in 2nd place. “That’s cool. I said. I was hoping horseback riding would be as fun as Samatha said it will be. But I had my doubts.  

Baking whizzed by and then it was horseback riding. I got changed into some jeans and a riding shirt. “Hello, my name is Elizabeth, and I am your instructor.” a young woman said. “I have been riding since I was two years old. I have entered tons of competitions, and have come home with lots of blue ribbons. Now we are going to start slow, even those who have been in this class. Horseback riding is not only about winning or controlling a horse. It’s about passion, love, care, and the bond you share with your horse. Horses are intelligent and loyal. They can sense when you're nervous. So we’re going to work on getting comfortable with them. But first, it’s time to get your horse. We all walked into the barn. “Hey Ashley, you the new girl. Everyone already has picked a horse last year, so I’m going to put you on our newest addition, Prince. He is very sweet, and a great horse. I think you guys will like each other.” Elizabeth said. “She showed me how to tack up with all the steps, and how to groom properly. I found it all very overwhelming. After I got tacked up a led prince to the arena where we were going to be starting. “So you choose to ride.” the girl with the pick highlights said. “My name is Tiffany, and it looks like you don’t have a clue. Oh, what’s that smell?” She asked. Pretending to plug her nose. I guess because you stink at riding you will stink. She walks away laughing, guiding her horse. “Don’t listen to her,” Samatha said. “She just means. Just don’t listen.” I was trying to take the comment out of my head, but it stung. “Okay everyone,” our instructor said, “gather up.” We all gathered up. She told us how to mount our horse. I got Prince scared and started walking but it was awesome. Just being on him was an amazing experience. The class whizzed by and I had a lot of fun. I told my mom all about it and she was happy. 

Days I did this, I got better and started trotting. Days turned into weeks of horseback riding which turned into months, and then years. Prince and I bonded and won several competitions over the years. I had to go through Tiffany and her friend’s comments, but I had Samatha who was always there for me. I soon learned horse racing, which I loved. By the time I graduated high school, I was so happy, I was 18 and just a few weeks away from or riding in the Kentucky derby. 

So as I continue I am here today, waiting for my race. Samatha is in the stands cheering me on. I have a horse called Buttermilkyyy, which I know is a weird name, but the only racing name available. All horses come to the track. I walked over with Buttermilkyyy and got on the track. Boom, a gunshot. Buttermilkyyy ran fast, and I could feel the wind in my hair. I was in third, coming to second, and trying to win the spot for 1st. Buttermilkyyy was running, as fast as she could. Almost to the end Buttermilkyyy picked up speed and stole first place. I crossed the finish line, my face smiling. I was the first female to win the Kentucky derby. 

I didn’t know I had to make a speech, but i guess that the part of winning. “Hello, my name is Ashly Reggriuz, and boy do I have to say I’m excited. When I was younger I was afraid of horses, never expecting to ride, to make history. But I have, and I will never forget the people who have helped me in my life and guided me. Thank you.” I said finishing my speech. The crowd erupted in cheers and applause. I went over to hug Samatha. I had gone through a journey, happy and sad times. I had made history.

February 13, 2021 02:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.