1 comment

Fiction Horror Mystery

This story contains sensitive content

Witchcrossing


by


Denis Baldwin



NOTE: I tried to use light touches given the subject matter and while nothing is gratuitous or even descriptive (I literally only have dialogue as a creative choice), I would like to mention that there is implied or stated violence for a brief sentence or two.





“Welcome to Witchcrossing, women's asylum. May I have your name and the name of whom you're visiting?”

“My name is Helen Ward. I'm here to see Miriam Abbott.”

“I'm sorry. Ms. Ward, was it? I'm afraid Ms. Abbott doesn't receive visitors.”

“‘Doesn't receive’ or ‘isn't allowed’?”

“Either. Both. It's for safety reasons you see. May I ask why you're here, Ms. Ward?”

“Ah, yes. You'll find that I've been sent by the State of Massachusetts's judiciary system to find whether or not Miriam Abbott is competent enough to stand trial for the murder of a young child in her care, Bryan Parker. I have a court order if you need to see it. She was granted temporary asylum due to… Well, let us say extenuating circumstances during her arrest. Her time is up.”

“If you insist.”

“I'm afraid I do.”

“If you wouldn't mind waiting a moment while I get for an orderly to escort you.”

“Of course. I'll be just over here.”

“Sarah? Can you get Jerry? I have a Helen Ward here at the front, said something about a court order to see Miriam. Yeah, Abbott. I don't know, something about her competency, just come on down. No, don't involve the warden. Just get Jerry.”

“Is there a problem?”

“No, no problem at all Ms. Ward. Orderly Clark will be down in just a moment to get you. Sorry for being so cagey. Not often we get a murderer housed here, let alone a child-killer.”

“Alleged child-killer.”

Alleged, oh sure, there's a fancy word. She talked about it enough at first, before we silenced…”

“Silenced? Please, continue. You were saying Ms. Abbott was silenced?”

“Ahem.”

“Oh thank heavens, Jerry. I didn't know what to say.”

“It's okay, Shirl. I'll handle it from here. Ms. Ward, if you'll follow me. I'll take you to see Miriam.”

“I'd appreciate that, Mr. Clark.”

“Oh, Jerry’ll do just fine. Watch your step.”

“Mr. Clark will suffice. Now, what's this about Ms. Abbott being silenced?”

“Not Miriam, we didn't silence her, just the area around her. Her wing of the asylum has been restricted to a zone of silence. You'll need to wear earplugs and then noise earmuffs over the plugs before you enter.”

“Mr. Clark, just how do you expect me to conduct a competency hearing when I can't verbally question the State's client? It will take ages to write everything back and forth.”

“Oh, I’m afraid I can't permit you any writing implements either.”

“And just why the hell not?”

“Miriam… Miriam can

“I’m sorry, what was that? Is she violent?”

“She's very violent, just not in the traditional way you're thinking. We've had a lot of strange cases since this place opened in 1708 after the trials at Salem, but no one like Miriam. Women rant and rave about things only the devil can imagine; some have committed atrocities worse than Miriam's, subjectively speaking; but after they got here, they settled down. Sure, there's the occasional outburst, but who doesn't have their bad days? None like Miriam though.”

“How do you mean, Mr. Clark? You've got me curious.”

“She has a way of getting in your mind. Forgive me for sounding like I'm raving mad myself, but it's true. Her words are hypnotic, talking at a single volume that fills the entire area; the room, the hallways, everywhere. Her sphere of influence stops at the doors just in front of us.”

“What did she say before you implemented the auditory protocol?”

“We had a few instances where it seemed like she was testing the waters, seeing if what she said would work. We had a few orderlies injure themselves without memory or saying they were unable to stop, like ‘their body wasn't their own.’ Our last orderly gouged out their own eye. That's when we implemented the need for earplugs. The last thing we heard her yelling in our heads was ‘Bring me the girl.’”

“‘Bring me the girl?’”

“Yeah, but we didn't bother to ask. Believe me. To be honest ma'am, you're lucky Miriam is still with us. A few of the asylum staff don't take too kindly to her being a real witch and all.”

“I'm appalled that the staff here actually believes that. It is nothing more than a hysteria brought on by working such a high profile subject and case with ill trained superstitious staff.”

“You believe what you'd like ma'am, and I'll believe what I know. Did you think about how you're going to conduct your interview?”

“Are her hands free enough that she can give a thumbs up or down?”

“Miriam is completely unrestrained.”

Unrestrained? You speak of her as if she's possessed by pure evil yet she is free to walk about her wing?”

“This is an asylum, not a prison, and even prisoners are afforded their cell. She displays no physical violence. Like I said, it’s not the kind you’re used to.”

“Witchcraft?”

“Indeed, Ms. Ward.”

“Jerry, I think I'll be needing those earplugs and muffs now. I'd like to be done with this place as soon as possible.”

“As you wish. Here's a new pair of earplugs, we use them only as often as we have to but always keep a few extra on us just in case. Muffs are hanging over by the door. It's only a short hallway down to her room. No key to get in, just knock and she'll open the door.”

“I'll only be ten minutes.”

“Be careful, Ms. Ward. Watch yourself. I'm closing the door now.”

Calm yourself, Helen. One two three one. One two three one. They're only superstitious fools. This woman is probably suffering from a mental disorder and needs real medical attention. At the end, you'll file your report and see if you can get this place investigated. There's the door. One two three one. Just knock lightly, and–

Interesting. The subject is in a much healthier state than I first imagined and can be described as pretty, if not conventionally beautiful. Her long pitch black hair has a shine to it and vibrant green eyes that betray no sense of an unkempt being. If I didn't know any better, her outward appearance has a tenderness to it that makes the horrible crime she committed so much worse. 

“Miriam Abbott, my name is Helen Ward. I'm from the State of Massachusetts to conduct a competency hearing given your unusual circumstances. Do you understand what I've just said? Please nod or give me a thumbs up to indicate that you've heard me and understand.”

Okay, good. This shouldn't take too long.

“I'm going to ask you a series of yes or no questions, Miriam. It's only about ten questions but the subject matter can be quite disturbing. If you need a moment, please raise your hand as I've been instructed to wear these earplugs and muffs for both of our safety. Do you have any questions of your own before we begin? No? Okay. Miriam Abbott, do you understand that you are being charged with the murder of a nine year boy by the name of Bryan Parker? He was in your care at the foster home you ran.

 “Okay, good. Second question. Miriam Abbott, do you know that you have the right to an attorney and that if you cannot afford an attorney the state will provide one?

“At the scene of the crime–your house–there were a large number of textbooks depicting witchcraft and sacrificial diagrams. Were they yours?

“Ms. Abbott, you are aware that you are confessing that the books of witchcraft are yours?

“Ms. Abbott, did you kill Bryan Parker in a sacrificial manner by following the diagrams depicted in your books?

Jesus Christ, how could any woman confess so easily to something so horrible? And for what? Failed witchcraft?

It did not fail.

“What did you say? I mean–”

One two three one. Helen, you're being a fool. This place has you rattled. Take a breath and finish the interview.

“Ahem. Sorry, Ms. Abbott. I’m unused to this style of interview. Bear with me for a few more questions. You've admitted to killing Bryan by means of sacrifice at your home, yet police were unable to locate the murder weapon. Do you know where it's located? Miriam? Hello? Can you please indicate to me if you do know where the murder weapon is or you do not know where it is? Yes or no?

“Okay, um… Miriam Abbott, you've admitted to killing Bryan Parker… Did you have a reason for doing so? I see that you're nodding ‘yes.’ Does it have to do with the girl that you were asking to be brought to you? I see you're nodding again. Do you–”

You're asking the wrong questions.

“Miriam, how are you doing that? Is it some sort of ventriloquism?”

You're no fool. Stop acting like one. You answered the call; now you would turn away?

“I don't understand… Miriam, are you implying that you summoned me here?”

Call it a return. It's been ages since you were in my foster care…

“My God… Ow, my head. That's… I can't remember my time… I was only a year old.”

And even then you were special. You imprinted on me with a bond I have not felt since I was a very young Witch. Now that you are of age, I dare say you could be the most powerful source in recent memory. I was afraid for so long a lesser source would overhear my call. The fact that you were compelled here above all people is most telling.

“This is making my head swim. I don't exactly understand what you're saying. I'm a witch?”

Oh no, dear. You're no Witch; you're a ‘source,’ like little Bryan Parker. You and I are like magnets, where I being the larger and more powerful one, attracts sources to me. They join their power to my own after I've lulled them into acceptance. You should just be about ready to abdicate your vessel and give yourself to me. My essense will go into you and we will walk out of Witchcrossing as one.

“Yes, Miriam. I see now. Tell me how.”

You need only hear my words of kindness to accept my gift. Good, yes. Discard those things from your ears. Good, now listen closely:

“Welcome home.”








May 17, 2024 00:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Garr Caraway
19:20 May 22, 2024

Intriguing. Wonder how many “ConvictsCross” and walk out of prison as one! lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.