1 comment

Adventure Suspense

In the deep silence of the night, Rick, with his heart pounding with a mix of fear and exhilaration, snuck in the art gallery. This was it, the final act of his thievery career, spurred by the love for his fiancée and the thrill of one last challenge. The gallery, with its dim lights casting long shadows, seemed to whisper secrets of the past, secrets Rick was about to become a part of.

He moved slowly, each step calculated, avoiding the creaky floorboards seasoned with age and secrets. The irony of the situation didn't escape him; the artwork he aimed to claim was “The Perfect Night”. Rick’s mind wandered briefly to his fiancée, her uneasy expression when she accepted his risky lifestyle for one last time, her whispered fears echoing in his memory. Yet, tonight, he promised himself, marked the end.

As Rick approached the painting, his future flashed before him: a new beginning, a clean slate, dreams of daylight rather than shadow. But destiny had a twist in store. There, basking in the moonlight filtering through the skylight, stood a mysterious figure — a woman, with light blond hair, face covered with a long shadow, and thin pale hands.

Her whisper cut through the silence. She spoke of the painting, her grandfather's legacy, and her hidden resentment towards him for constantly saying she would never be good enough to become a real artist or have her artworks displayed in this gallery. Rick listened, entranced by the raw emotion in her voice, her story unfolding like a parallel to his own life’s canva.

Rick: "Why are you here so late? This place is supposed to be empty."

Woman (Whispering): "I could ask you the same, but we both know why we're really here, don't we? This painting, 'The Perfect Night", it's more than just canvas and paint, it represents my shattered dreams, courtesy of my grandfather's harsh words. I've spent my life hiding behind these shadows, letting fear dictate my choices. But you, breaking in here, why do this?"

The conversation turned, unexpected and surreal, to her own hidden artworks, her fears, her repressed artistic soul yearning for recognition. Rick, moved by her vulnerability, saw a mirror of his own concealed desires in her confession. Here was a fellow shadow walker, a kindred spirit bound by her own chains of fear and familial expectations.

Rick faced a crossroads, his heart torn between the adrenaline of the theft and an unforeseen connection. The painting, once the symbol of his final victory, now stood as a beacon of potential change. Could he abandon his plan for this stranger, this artist trapped in her own silent gallery of unfulfilled dreams?

Their eyes met, two worlds colliding in the dim light of the gallery. Rick, the seasoned thief, recognized a flicker of hope in her eyes — a hope that he knew could shatter the darkness of his own existence.

Rick: "Because I thought this was the only way out, but maybe... maybe there's another path, one that doesn't involve taking what's not mine."

Woman: "Another path... I've always dreamt of showing my own art, of stepping out from under my grandfather's shadow. But fear, it's a powerful jailer. I feel you know what I am talking about, am I right?"

The gallery, a silent witness to their burgeoning understanding, seemed to hold its breath. The choice was his: to continue down the path of shadows or to step into a unknown world painted with trust to a stranger he met a few minutes ago.

Rick: "Show me your art. I know that it sounds strange, we just met each other, totally strangers. But let's me look, please."

Woman (Pauses, then softly): "You would do that? After planning such a heist? All my life I was told I wasn't enough, that my art was worthless. that my dreams, my art, were nothing but childish fantasies. 'Real artists are born, not made,' he'd say, and he made sure I believed it. Standing here with you, a total stranger, yet offering me what I've longed for—acceptance, belief... it's overwhelming. It's hard to accept that he was mistaken, that I allowed his words to crush me so thoroughly. He was oppressive, unrelentingly harsh. I can hardly fathom it—I sought his approval, yearned for his love and belief in me. Yet, what did I receive? Only emptiness. And now, fate throws me against a thief, someone who sees value in what I’ve deemed worthless because of my grandfather’s assertions. Perhaps he was right. I’ve lost myself completely. I need a change, a big change. I do not trust myself, people. I do not listen to anybody. I live my small life without friends because I am so miserable. And you are stayimg here and saying that you can offer me something that absolutely impossible. Who are you? And how dare you to tell me that? If you want to steal it, just steal. I don't care. I would be happy if you do so. Give me a favor, just destroy it. I am so done."

In that moment, under the watchful eyes of timeless art, Rick realized that the true heist wasn’t about stealing a painting; it was about reclaiming lost pieces of oneself. He understood now that life’s most exquisite art form was connection, the intertwining of souls on their journey through the shadowed corridors of existence.

Moving together into the realm of her unseen art, Rick knew that this night, indeed, was perfect. Not because of a successful theft, but because it was the night he stole back his future, guided by the light of a stranger’s spirit. The night was deep, the journey uncertain, but for the first time, Rick stepped forward not as a thief, but as a guardian of dreams, his own and those reflected in the eyes of the woman beside him.

This night, the gallery of his life welcomed a new masterpiece, one painted with the hues of hope and the promise of a dawn yet to come.

March 17, 2024 20:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Alexis Araneta
11:33 Mar 23, 2024

Julia, you truly have a gift fr sensory detail ! Lovely job !

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.