The Core of My Apple Heart

Submitted into Contest #63 in response to: Write about two characters going apple picking.... view prompt

3 comments

Romance Fiction

When they first met me, it was obvious I wasn't like other girls. At my age, they'd always talk about guys at school. But I was more interested in my apple trees. My passionate interest didn't last very long when one day, I saw him.

It was your typical sunny afternoon on a Wednesday, where people would come to purchase my sweet, crisp apples. I liked the weekdays, when it wasn't so busy because everyone was either at school or work. I made sure the apples on display shined like diamonds, wiping each of them carefully and thoroughly. Since there weren't many people today I decided I should go for a stroll around the apple farm, inspecting the apple trees as I go. As I took a look at one, I heard footsteps behind me. And there he was. He had dirty blond hair, shining blue eyes, and cute little freckles. Wait, what am I saying? It's just a customer. At first, I thought it was my stomach. The feeling was really strange. Warm and sweet, like eating a spoonful of apple pie, after it finished cooling down. I quickly looked away and continued inspecting the apples.

"Um, do you work here?" the boy asked.

"Y-Yeah. How can I help you?"

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Since when did I stutter around guys? Maybe I've been hanging around my friends for too long...

"Which apples do you recommend for baking?"

I'd recommend having a sweet slice of me for baking. Wait, what am I thinking?! I was brought back to my senses with the boy still waiting for my answer.

"U-Um, I'd recommend the Honey Crisp Apple. They're great for making an elegant tart or some apple dumplings."

I point to the tall tree to his right. Maybe I should have suggested another kind of apple. The tree was too tall for him to pick an apple. He looked over at me.

"Do you mind getting on my shoulders to help me get a few of them for me?" he didn't make eye contact.

Before I could answer, he crouched down for me to get on. I got on his shoulders and thankfully, he didn't notice that my face was redder than all the apples on the farm. Phew. I picked the apples and dropped them into the basket as fast as I could to not make things awkward. He put me down and I turned away in embarrassment.

"Wow, I nearly forgot to introduce myself. I'm Lucas. Anyways, thanks for all your help today." he smiled.

"I'm Anne. I'm always happy to help at the apple farm, so if you need anything else, just come to me."

I began walking to the other trees for inspection when he grabbed my arm. Aw crap. This feeling is getting worse. Am I sick or something? What does he want this time?

"Are you okay? You look like you have a fever." He put his hand on my forehead and that just made the weird feeling worse.

"I'm fine. I'm gonna head back inside after I'm done inspecting the apple trees."

"No. This looks like a really bad fever."

He picked me up bridal style and that was all it took to make me faint in his arms. Why? Just why did this happen today? I woke up after a few hours and I saw Lucas sitting in a chair on his phone. Had he been here this whole time? He's a customer, he should've just paid and left... I sat up and the cloth on my forehead fell into my lap. There was no one else in the room. I couldn't believe that he actually took care of me.

Lucas looked up from his phone and had a concerned look on his face.

"Are you alright? I think you should take a break before going back to work again." he suggested.

"I can't. There's no one else here to help around the farm. They're all at the marketplace, selling fruits and vegetables."

"Then I'll do your job."

"Oh no, no, no. You probably have somewhere you need to be. I mean, you're wearing a business suit."

"I can stay here until you get better."

"Nope. I'm good."

I rushed out of the room before he could respond and ran deep into the 'forest' of apple trees. I could hear him running after me, but since I've been practicing for track, I was faster and had more stamina. When I couldn't see him anymore, I climbed one of the tall apple trees to catch my breath. Why won't this feeling go away?! I can't do my work like this! I sat on a thick branch for a while, hoping he won't find me. The sound of a car engine approached our farm. It was my sister, Mary, who worked at a music store. I waved my arms to get her attention. She ran up to my tree.

"Is the neighbor's kid here again?" she whispered.

"It's a guy!"

Mary looked around and saw Lucas off in the distance. She made one of those smiles when she watches romance anime TV shows.

"It's just a crush. Why are you freaking out??" she giggled.

"Says the one who seems to be enjoying every second of this. I don't even know what a crush is."

"Wait. WHAT?! How do you not know what a crush is??"

"I never really cared about that sort of thing. I have too much work to be distracted by some guy."

"This isn't just some guy. Do you wanna know why you feel weird around him? It's because you're in love."

I realize this was what the other girls in my school felt. I finally understand. This warm, sweet feeling was love. But it's nothing but a distraction for a farm girl like me. Unfortunately this feeling won't disappear. I suppose I have to embrace it. Lucas began walking towards us. I hid behind the tree, hoping that he wouldn't find me. Mary peeked over and I could tell she's trying not to squeal in excitement. I made myself as small as possible as I heard Lucas and Mary talk to each other.

"She's over there." Mary pointed to my tree.

You little snitch. Lucas walked over and looked behind the tree. As he did this, I swiftly moved to the other side. Then Lucas looked at the front. I returned to my original position. Mary burst out laughing as she watched the scene.

"Are you that dumb? She's right there!" She laughed holding her stomach.

"Huh?"

He looked behind the tree, but I couldn't move quick enough. Lucas saw me. Like a cat, I climbed up the tree. I sat where the leaves covered most of my body.

"If this is some sort of game, can you at least tell me how to play?" Lucas chuckled.

"This isn't a game, Anne has something to tell you." Mary grinned.

Wow. Just. Wow. What a GREAT sister to have. I gotta tell you. I tried thinking of a convincing lie to not make this situation more awkward than it already was. Come on. THINK!

"I-I just thought---"

"Nope! No excuses! Just tell him!" Mary demanded.

"Okay, okay. I like you, Lucas. Now can you leave me in peace in my tree?"

Lucas just stood there in shock. I wasn't sick-- I was lovesick. He didn't say anything. He just climbed up the tree and sat down next to me.

"Why didn't you say anything? I was worried you had a fever." he said.

"Well, I'd prefer not telling you what I felt. But we have a little snitch over here, thirsting for romance." I glared at Mary.

"Do you wanna know why I helped you when you fainted?"

"Why?"

"Because you snuck into the core of my apple heart."

"Holy crap. That was the cheesiest pick up line I've ever heard."

"I know."







October 15, 2020 20:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

15:36 Oct 26, 2020

“I'd recommend having a sweet slice of me for baking.“ is the most hilarious thing I’ve heard all day *v*

Reply

Show 0 replies
11:28 Oct 20, 2020

I love the story. It reminds me of how good the feeling is of being in love. Thank you for writing this, Katelynn!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nathan C
14:45 Oct 19, 2020

I like this story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.