0 comments

Drama

There he is, outside talking to the neighbor with that goofy look on his face. Since when did he become the guy who talks up a storm with the neighbors? Better yet, why did he do this to us?

We dont know these people! Surrounded by a bunch of old geezers just waiting to die with smiles on their faces!

"Oh let's go on down to the rec room and play some bridge! Wowee pudding and jello for dessert again? My FAVORITE! Look Gladice you don't even need teeth to chew!"

What a joke! Does he think I'm some old woman who can't take care of myself? I'm more than capable of doing anything anyone half my age can do.

And with more skill undoubtedly.

This isn't a home. Just because the sign out front says housing in the title doesn't make any of these tiny apartments a home. Where are my grandkids supposed to play? Where's my reading chair going to sit? There's no real windows in this crack shack let alone one with a good view.

Why Terrance? Why couldn't you leave well enough alone? We had a beautiful home, with love and history laid in every brick. We could have put a ramp out front and one of those chair escalators on the stairs to our room. Why are we here?

Footsteps approach the front door at a stagger. A muffled voice shouts out on the other side of the door. "Alright, well you're going to have to put your money where your mouth is on the greenway tomorrow" A distant voice replies "alright Terrance your on!".

As I lay this tired hand on my door to push it open I know that all I have waiting for me on the other side is greif.

I know she doesn't see this place for the blessing that it is, but it's too dangerous for us at our old house. The stairs we can't climb, the cupboards we can't reach, the tub we can't step in and out of.

Why can't she see that I'm doing what I know is best for the both of us?

Walking through this doorway is a little tight, and the hall is a bit small, but I really dont need all that much space. It's comfortable and I dont have to worry about my Irene getting hurt when I'm not here.

There she is. Every bit as beautiful as the day I first laid eyes on her. Even wheel chair bound she has all the grace of a lady with high class demeanor. Stronger than any woman I've ever met, yet her eyes are so broken.

I hate seeing her like this. "Hello darlin" Terrance whispers softly before gently laying a kiss on Irene's forehead. "Darlin? Where is your darlin at?" Irene looks around sarcastically. "Oh you were speaking to me? Naturally I was looking for someone younger, because how could a feeble old woman such as myself be anyone's darlin?" She stated with a bite in her voice.

Terrances heart spiked and his teeth got a little tighter grinding back a harsh tone. "Don't start on me today, please Irene". He replied.

"Well when's a good time for you? Because I'd like to schedule a good time to start with you. I know a busy man such as yourself doesn't have all the time in the world what with your golfing and socializing 'n' what not. So just let me know when you have the time for me to start with you." She retored, her voice holing back a dam of tears that made her voice raspy and bitter.

" I feel claustrophobic here! Like a ghost that haunts this place. We don't live here Terrance, we're just existing here. I want to have a good spirit, but it's hard for me to be happy here knowing that we left all of our fondest memories behind." Irene whispered with tears pouring out of those deep blue eyes. The very Sam's blue eyes that watched Terrance walk down the aisle on the happiest day of her life. The eyes that remembered months of house searching, staying in a dingy apartment (Much like this one) until they found the perfect house to call home.

"Our Home" is what they painted in bright orange over the door.

Terrance looks at his dear Irene and said "Darlin, if it is alright to call you that. I know this isn't our home"

Irene interrupts "NO it's not our home!". "Now hold on Irene I wasn't finished" Terrance exclaims.

"This is not our home yet. I'm aware that you hate this place, but if you give it a chance I think you will truly grow to love it here. We're centrally located in town so we can go out more, and go see those shows you like. There's a nice park down the road for our grandchildren to play at when they come to visit. Moreover, I will spend every day of the rest of our lives showing you that I'm just as devoted to you as the day we first met. I always have time for you. If you wanted me to stay inside and never see the light of day I'd do that for you. We just can't go back to our old home dear. It's not safe for us anymore. I'm growing old my dear. I'm no longer able to keep up with you and I was afraid I'd get hurt. I just never want to burden you or slow you down, and I hope you could learn to bear it here. Please? For me?" Terrance said with hope in his heart.

"Oh Terrance dear I had no idea you felt that way. I just assumed you moved us because of me being in this chair. I feel so selfish! I thought this whole time you seen me as the burden and I'm so very ashamed of how I've been acting lately. I suppose one day I can grow to like it here, but only for you." She smiled sweetly. "I only have one condition!"

"Sure anything you want" Replies Terrance.

"Alright that ought to do it. What do you think?" Terrance stated proudly climbing down from a step ladder; paint brush in hand wet with fresh orange paint.

Irene looked up proudly to see "OUR HOME" scribed above the door. "Yes, that'll do perfectly! I love you Terrance, would you want to maybe go to the rec room and play some bridge with Gladice and Roy?"

"I'd like nothing more" Terrance said coolly as he took the breaks off of Irene's wheel chair, they strolled together; united once again working as a team to make this new and strange environment their new "our home". 

September 12, 2020 02:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.