5 comments

Fiction

Leanne swayed drunkenly, tipping her drink on my skirt.

"Damn it Leah!" I cried, trying to sponge off the beer with a napkin. My friend laughed behind me. "Shut up Dylan, I said, swatting him on the head," I sat back in my cosy seat, angrily. Leane stumbled over to the seat next to me and plopped down.

"Thgyouu know," she began, "you are annoying," she slurred. I snatched her drink. "Heyyyyyy!" she almost yelled.

"You can't drink this much Leah," I said, "you'll kill yourself."

"That could be the point."

"I don't care. If every time we go to a party you get blackout drunk, I'm not gonna drive you home," I said. She gasped in mock shock.

"I'll just sleep at the house then," she said, trying to seem smart.

"You know Anna won't let you do that."

"I don't care."

"You're going to be sick tomorrow."

"I don't care."

"You're going to feel bad about yourself in the morning."

"I know, but I don't care." I rolled my eyes and sighed. Leanne tried getting up to get a new drink but I pushed her back down by her shoulders. She slapped my arm and slumped back in her chair angrily.

"She has a point Leanne," Dylan agreed.

"Y'all suck."

"I know." I grabbed Leanne's hand. "You wanna go dance Leah?" I asked her, pulling her up.

"Anything's better than getting bothssed around by you guys any longer, and stop calling me Leah, I'm not two anymore, you can say my name now." I ignored her and dragged her to the middle of the large room where everyone was dancing to EDM music, colorful strobe lights shot around the room. Leanne I and started swing dancing crappily to an Ice Cream remix being blinded every time the strobes hit our eyes. Someone bumped into me and made me and Leanne topple over, I got the wind knocked out of me by falling on the hardwood so it took a bit to get up and when I stood up I couldn't find Leanne. "Leah?" I called. She didn't answer so I called louder. "Leah?!" I shouted, cupping my mouth with my hands. shit, where is she? She's a fucking idiot, she couldn't have gone far.  I sighed, "Leanne?!" I called, exasperated. I gave up calling her and pushed through the crowd and found my way back to the chairs we were in, Dylan was still there, he was on his phone.

"Dylan!" I cried happily, "Where's Leah?"

"I thought you had her?" He replied putting his phone down.

"I did, but we fell and I was down for a minute, and when I stood up she disappeared."

"Shit," he said. He stood on his couch, scanning the crowd. 

"Well?" I asked. He was looking back and forth, presumably for her box dyed red hair in its high ponytail.

"I can't see her," he said finally.

"Well she can't have gone far, she can't even walk right." Mark sighed and got down.

"We should look for her, she's an idiot," I suggested.

"Yeah," Dylan agreed, reaching over his chair and grabbing his jacket.

Then suddenly, the lights started getting brighter and brighter until it hurt. The bright white filled the room, glowing around the edges, I could feel it weaving its way into the far reaches of my head. My head burned and I started sweating. People were screaming, and I tried walking to where I thought the power chords were so I could at least turn the strobes off. But instead, I tripped and fell down, I couldn't look to see where I was going, so I curled up in a ball so that I wouldn't be stepped on. Then with a whirring, The lights slowly dimmed down to the darkest dark possible. This was the complete opposite of the blinding light there was before. Now the darkness seemed to engulf you. I filled your entire essence with its void, its black hole soaking up any taste of light possible, You could almost feel a chill as everyone stopped moving. I opened my eyes, and a residual bright glowing green echoed around the edges of my sight. I felt my way to a wall and pushed myself up, shaking with fear. Taking tentative steps, I walked forward quietly calling Dylan's and Leanne's names so that other people didn't start yelling for their friends. "Excuse me," I said after bumping into someone. "Nooo problem," they answered, I stopped. "Leah?" I asked. "Yeah?" I almost jumped for joy. 

"Where were you?" I asked.

"I was about to calllll a cabhb, but then the lights got super bright and I ended up here." I reached for her wrist and held on tight as she tried to yank it away. "We're looking for Dylan," I said. I could feel the vibrations of her head nodding. "Dylan??" I called.

Whoooosh!  the light fluidly whipped back on and I cried out, the sudden light burning my eyes.

People started pushing through one another looking for their loved ones with the new lights even though it was still almost impossible to see. "Dylan??" I called loudly this time. "Over here!" he responded. Still holding Leah's hand I made my way back to the chairs and hugged Dylan tightly, "What the fuck just happened?" I asked. "I don't know,'' he said, patting my back."

He looked over and saw Leanne. "Leanne!" He exclaimed, relieved, "You didn't die!" He let go of me and gave Leah a quick squeeze but she pushed him away. "I'm not helpless," she said.

I groaned and sunk into the soft couches covering my eyes with my hands, the light still burned.

"Thiss waths stressful," Leanne began, "we need drinks."

"I agree," Dylan said, "but you're getting a virgin." Leanne flipped him off and I snorted.

"He's right," I said with a large grin on my face.

"Why are you smiling?" Dylan asked.

"We didn't die," I answered.

"Reasonable."

"I'll get Leah in the car and lock her in, and we can have drinks without worrying about her stealing ours."

"Alright"

"What the fuck," Leanne complained





May 05, 2021 19:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Daniel R. Hayes
05:44 May 06, 2021

Hi Gemma! This was a good story. I really liked how you wrote the dialog. It made this story come alive. The slurred speech is perfect here, and I thought the characters were great! Plus, with a title like that... I just had to read it :) I enjoyed this, very well done!!

Reply

Gemma McDonald
12:27 May 07, 2021

Awww thanks :1) I changed it a little just because I thought some of the story was weird, but now I regret that. This made my day :1)

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
15:15 May 07, 2021

You're welcome! It was a great, don't feel bad about changing something in your story. I do it all the time and I always want to add more. I can't wait to see what you come up with next! ;)

Reply

Gemma McDonald
20:04 May 18, 2021

Aww thank you, thank you so much for your kind words <3

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
20:14 May 18, 2021

You're welcome ;) I can't wait to read more from you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.