0 comments

Contemporary Drama Fiction

Rai was an old time politician. He was known for his probity in politics but had retired. His first and second sons were in paying government jobs and shunned politics. The third known as Pete was a high school dropout. Early on he had joined the political party which had the elephant as its symbol. As elections were now due, Pete got busy since the political bigwig Bala-G was standing for election on symbol elephant. Bala-G called for a meeting with his party members. When they met he said “We’ve to work against 3 candidates. One of them is a female named Ruth. Ruth has women behind her and we should be wary.”

Pete said “She is no problem. I can create discontent.”

Bala-G said “I want more people like you. The other candidate I’ve to be careful about is Margo. He has labour unions with him besides migrant labour. In fact he presents a real danger to my candidature.”

Pete said “I’ve noted it.”

Bala-G continued “The other candidature has no following at all and can be easily beaten.”

The meeting ended.

Pete then called a meeting of his henchmen. He said “We’ve Margo who has to be taken care of first.”

One worker said “He is a liquor addict. He in turn has distributed free liquor to voters. His party has fallen on bad days. There’re said to be no contributions of money. So he can’t sustain distribution of free liquor.”

Pete said “We can’t be complacent on that one count. We’ve to devise a fool-proof plan so that his voters desert him.” He thought a bit and said “Margo is old and his liver is failing. I’m sure he is looking forward to retirement. Still his party relies on his name and past records.”

Another one said “If he has to be stopped we must make him curtail his oratory.”

Another worker said “I’ve a suggestion. We should tackle Margo’s son. He is only a graduate and isn’t known to be bright. His dad is on the lookout for a job for the fellow.”

Pete said “Margo was a farmer who quit to enter politics. I know he has a kitchen garden and the son is taking great care of it. There’re 2 computer companies and one drug manufacturing unit in the vicinity of Margo’s residence. All three companies are making big profits. They can afford to have a landscape designer on their payroll. I’ve influence with the drug maker but the computer companies have to be tackled.”

One worker said “We could say that expenditure towards landscape improvement won’t be taxed. Or perhaps say.....”

Pete said “That is a good suggestion. After all we’re promising people that we would hit the stars. At least let us hope we hit the moon. I’ll meet the computer company heads. What will I say?”

“Take Margo’s son on contract as landscape consultant on a substantial salary. The 3 companies should share in it.”

Pete now said “We’ve now to tackle candidature of Ruth. She is popular with female voters.”

“I suggest that a woman is used to create problems for Ruth who’s now in charge of women’s welfare.”

Pete said “Thanks. Let me think up strategy to tackle Ruth.”

The meeting ended.

Soon one day a woman went to Ruth and said “My name is Radha. I work in the school for the deaf and dumb. I’m married and have 2 children. My husband works in a private nursing home.”

Ruth asked “What work do you do in the school?”

“I take care of the cleanliness of the place and toilets and keep the area dust free.”

“Okay. Tell me further.”

“Two days ago I was taking a small girl who was ill to the toilet in the rear, when the security man suddenly came and hugged me from behind and put his arms around me and tried to fondle me. I fought him off by biting one of his fingers. I complained to the police but they merely said they would advise the man that he should discontinue such practices. If I don’t complain people will say I’m unchaste. This matter has to be investigated and the security man must be punished.”

Ruth asked “What’s the name of the man who molested you?”

“His name is Pi.”

Ruth said “I’ve all the details. I’ll investigate it. You can go.’”

Ruth summoned Pi and questioned him. He said “I was going fast in that narrow passage when I tripped on the floor where there is a crack. To avoid a fall I shouted and blindly caught hold of the woman. I was in the army and I’ve a wife and two children. I didn’t need to molest that fat woman who has wrongly complained.”

Ruth said “Don’t insult women about their size. Remember you men alter their shapes with your doings. I’m in charge of welfare of women and I’ve to investigate further. I’ll call Radha again and get to the root of the problem.”

Ruth again summoned Radha and questioned her. She however stuck to her point. She said “Madam, Pi clasped me from the rear and his palms were free and he was excited. Shall I say.....”:

“I don’t want to hear such things. I know what you mean. Exposing all this will demean you. If your husband comes to know.....”

“I’ve kept my husband informed.”

“Good. You see we women have to be patient and not publicise matters like sexual exploitation. You must think it over. Your complaint will also cause a problem in Pi’s family as he’s also married and has 2 children.”

“Could be. Let his wife know what sort of husband she has.”

“You shouldn’t go to extremes. You can go now. We’ll meet again next week.”

A video channel got wind of the story and reported it in the vernacular: ‘Radha a poor woman works for a deaf and dumb school. A colleague groped her. The complaint went to Madam Ruth of women’s welfare who is expected to stand for election soon, but it seems she practically ignored the complaint. She has advised the woman complainant not to go public with such matters which are degrading to women. Ruth has however, bowing to public pressure, booked a case which is under investigation. As a sequel to this story, our channel will telecast a one hour program next Friday on the way women’s issues are suppressed,”

Of course the public were not aware that the case had been engineered by Pete who paid off the complaining woman and husband, besides Pi and the video channel.

Bala-G said “Well done Pete. I greatly appreciate your moves.”

Pursuant on Pi’s case Ruth announced she was retiring from public life and would not stand for election. The party went in search of another candidate. Margo’s son was made landscape consultant to 3 firms. In the long run, Bala-G was elected by a big margin. Pi was found not guilty. Pete was appointed as head of a government corporate body. His brothers and family had decided they would have nothing to do with him as they had heard of his nebulous dealings. However they reconciled when family members needed government demarcated plots for house building, improvement to their roads, and better water supply!

END

January 31, 2021 09:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.