1 comment

Drama Suspense Teens & Young Adult

The radiant moon perched high in the night sky, a cosmic eye watching over the old dirt road. This sacred place where four friends had come to test their courage. Inseparable since elementary school, their friendship evolved from shared lunches and sleepovers to whispered secrets about the mundane and the mystical world they were so eager to explore. Now, the time had come to forge their bond as a true coven.

Anna, the leader of their would-be coven, had always been fascinated by the occult. It was she who had first come across Hecate, the Greek goddess of witchcraft and the crossroads, and eagerly shared her findings with the others. They were all sophomores now, and the idea of summoning Hecate at a real crossroads was too tantalizing to resist.

The evening of the ritual arrived, and Anna’s car, an old sedan that had seen better days, pulled up in front of Emily’s house first. Emily, always hesitant and cautious, was the most reluctant of the group. She climbed into the backseat, clutching a small bag tightly.

“Hey, Em,” Anna greeted her with a reassuring smile. “Ready for tonight?”

Emily forced a smile, her nerves evident. “As ready as I’ll ever be, I guess.”

Next, they picked up Lila, who bounded into the car with her usual exuberance, her energy filling the space. “This is going to be awesome!” she declared, her enthusiasm almost tangible.

Lastly, they swung by Sarah’s house. Sarah slid into the front seat beside Anna, her expression calm and composed. She nodded at the others, her eyes sharp and observant.

As they drove towards the outskirts of town, the conversation turned to what each of them hoped to gain from the ritual. Anna glanced at Emily through the rearview mirror. “So, what are you going to ask Hecate for?”

Emily hesitated, her fingers twisting in her lap. “I… I don’t know. Maybe guidance. Clarity about the future.”

Lila, ever the optimist, piped up from the backseat. “I want power. Real power to change things, to make a difference.”

Sarah spoke last, her voice steady. “I want knowledge. To understand the things we’re meddling with.”

Anna nodded, contemplating her own desires. She hadn’t shared it with the others, but she sought a deeper connection to the mystical, a confirmation that magic was real and within their grasp.

As the sun dipped below the horizon and the stars began to sprinkle the sky, Anna turned up the volume on a podcast she had queued up. The eerie music and chilling voice of the narrator filled the car, recounting ghost stories and unsolved mysteries. The atmosphere grew tense, the shadows in the car seeming to deepen with each passing mile.

Emily’s eyes darted nervously around, and even Lila seemed more subdued, her earlier excitement dampened by the creeping fear instilled by Anna’s stupid podcast. Sarah’s expression remained unreadable, but she too was quieter, her focus inward.

They finally reached a lonely dirt road, the podcast still playing as a backdrop to their growing apprehension. The road twisted and turned through the countryside, until at last they found the secluded crossroads Anna had scoped out earlier in the week. The perfect spot. Anna parked the car, turned off the podcast, and the girls sat in silence for a moment, the reality of what they were about to do settling over them like a heavy cloak.

Anna turned off the car and the podcast, plunging them into a profound silence broken only by the distant chirping of crickets. “This is it,” she said, her voice barely above a whisper. 

They stepped out into the cool night air, gathering their supplies and the book, Hekate: Keys to the Crossroads by Sorita D'Este. The air around them seemed to hum with anticipation as they set up their circle at the intersection of the dirt roads. A chill ran down Emily’s spine as she looked around, the feeling of being watched growing stronger. The air seemed thicker here, each breath a laborious task. It felt to her as if the very ground beneath their feet pulsed with a dark, ancient energy.

"Are you sure about this?" whispered Emily, her voice trembling as they parked the car under the dim glow of the moon. Her skepticism lingered even as the others buzzed with excitement.

"Oh, come on, Em," said Lila, bouncing with excitement as she stepped out of the car. "It's going to be fun! And if it doesn't work, at least we tried."

Sarah, the quiet observer of the group, nodded in agreement. She didn't speak much, but when she did, her words carried weight. "We just have to follow the ritual exactly as the book says."

The book lay open on the hood of Anna's car. Anna had meticulously copied down the steps of the ritual, making sure they had everything they needed. They stepped out into the cool night air, gathering their supplies and the book they would use to invoke her. As they set up their circle at the intersection of the dirt roads, the air around them seemed to hum with anticipation.

Anna lit the candles and placed the offerings – eggs, honey, and garlic – at the center of the crossroads. She began to chant the words from the book, her voice strong and confident. The others joined in, their voices blending together in a strange, eerie harmony. Emily's voice quivered, but she kept chanting, not wanting to be the one to break the circle.

As the last words of the invocation echoed into the night, a thick, unnatural fog began to roll in, swirling around them like ghostly tendrils. The temperature dropped sharply, and the girls huddled closer together, their breath visible in the cold air.

From the fog, a figure emerged. Tall and cloaked in shadows, it seemed to absorb the moonlight rather than reflect it. The figure’s form kept shifting and flickering as if it were made of smoke. Its eyes glowed with an unnatural light, piercing through the fog and settling on each girl in turn. The shadows seemed to cling to it, swirling around its form like living tendrils. The girls' breath hitched collectively as the figure stepped into their circle, its eyes gleaming with an otherworldly light.

"I am Hecate," the figure intoned, its voice a deep, resonant whisper that seemed to come from all directions at once. "Why have you summoned me, daughters?"

Anna, emboldened by their success, stepped forward. "We seek your wisdom, Great Hecate. We wish to learn the ways of magic and the secrets of the crossroads."

The figure regarded them with a piercing gaze. "The path of magic is not to be taken lightly. It demands sacrifice and brings knowledge that can be both a blessing and a curse."

Emily, trembling, confessed, "I want to be smarter than everyone else. I want to ace every test without studying." She looked shocked at herself, obviously as surprised as the other girls were by the words tumbling out of her mouth.

"Wisdom gained through shortcuts leaves others in the dark. Would you watch your friends struggle and fail while you succeed effortlessly?"

Emily’s voice was shaky, but resolute. "If I have to."

Sarah took a step forward, her calm demeanor cracking slightly. "I want to be the most popular girl in school. I want everyone to admire and envy me, instead of always looking up to Anna. I want everyone to see how fascinating I really am." Her smile faltered after she spoke, as though she had little control over what she’d blurted out, and now felt embarrassed by her candor.

"Popularity comes at a price,” breathed Hecate, her voice deep and low, a soothing velvet richness inside a harsh, grating grumble. “Would you trample over others to rise to the top? Would you spread lies and deceit?"

Sarah’s eyes gleamed with a ruthless determination. "Yes."

Lila, unable to contain herself, blurted out, "I want Jake Peterson to be my boyfriend! He’s perfect for me."

Emily's eyes widened in shock. "Jake? But he's—"

"He’s with someone who doesn’t deserve him," Lila interrupted, her voice hard. Then, desperate once more, she added, "I’ll do anything to have Jake. Anything."

"Would you betray a friend? Would you cast aside loyalty and love for your own gain?"

Anna, shocked by the revelation, was still feeling the weight of their selfish desires. Lila wouldn’t be taking her boyfriend from her. She hesitated, but the emotions blazing through her overcame her, and she revealed her own desire. "I want to control people’s thoughts and actions. To make them do what I want."

Hecate replied, "Control is a dangerous weapon. Would you manipulate those you love, bend their wills to your own?"

Anna’s smile was cold. "Absolutely."

The figure's smile widened, an unsettling gleam in its eyes. "Such desires carry a heavy price. Are you quite certain you’re all prepared to pay it?" The demon’s eyes flickered with a sinister delight. “In ancient times,” it said, “those who sought power at the crossroads would offer their most prized possessions. What will you sacrifice for your desires?”

Emily, who had been shocked by her own words, as well as those of her supposed friends, finally found her voice again. "We should stop. This doesn't feel right."

"Nonsense," Anna shot back, her eyes still fixed on the figure. "We've come this far. We need to see it through."

The figure seemed to smile, though the darkness made it hard to be sure. "Very well," it said. "But know this: the future is fraught with peril. Within the next year, each of you will face trials that will test your very souls."

Sarah frowned. "What kind of trials?"

The figure's eyes glowed brighter. "Betrayal, loss, pain. Each of you will suffer in ways you cannot yet comprehend. But if you remain true to your path, you may find the strength to overcome."

The air grew heavier, and the fog thickened, pressing in on them from all sides. Emily's heart pounded in her chest. "We need to stop this. We need to leave."

Anna hesitated, doubt flickering in her eyes. But before she could speak, the figure's form began to shift, its features contorting into something far less human.

Emily's voice broke through the tension. "This isn't right. Hecate wouldn’t encourage such selfishness. She’s a goddess of wisdom and balance."

The figure's smile twisted into a sneer. "You are perceptive, child..." The fog enveloped them, blotted out the stars, and soon they could barely see one another.

"You fools," it hissed, its voice now a guttural growl. The figure’s form began to shift, its features becoming grotesque and monstrous. Horns sprouted from its head, and its eyes burned with a malevolent fire. "You did not summon Hecate, half-witted children. You have no idea what you have called forth, and now you are bound to me." The demon loosed a sound, then. One unlike any they’d ever heard, freezing the girls in place. 

The roar of a bear mingled with the growl of a wild boar, but it wasn’t just that. The guttural, animal sounds were interspersed with a piercing, gut wrenching, blood curdling scream. That of a woman. No, women. So many, all rising and falling in intensity. The fear, anger, desperation, and bargaining in all those sounds, echoing against one another and emanating from the dark entity before them, now increasing in size, its shadows writhing and rising around them. 

Panic erupted among the girls. Anna desperately tried to remember the closing words from the book, but her mind was blank with fear. The demon cackled, an ugly, high-pitched grating sound like nails on a chalkboard, that chilled them to their bones.

In a frenzy, they began to destroy the ritual space, kicking over candles and scattering the offerings. The demon's laughter grew louder, echoing in their ears as they scrambled through the darkness back to the car.

They slammed the creaky old doors of that sedan and sped away, night swallowing the crossroads behind them. No one spoke. Nobody moved to turn on the radio. The reality of their encounter was slowly sinking in. The demon's ominous predictions lingered in their minds, a dark cloud over their future.

Emily broke the silence, her voice shaky. "What if it's not over? You know we didn't close the circle properly."

As the crossroads faded into the distance, they couldn't shake the feeling that something had followed them, lurking just out of sight, waiting for its moment to strike. Anna's hands gripped the steering wheel tightly. "I don't know.”

June 20, 2024 13:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Serina Caballero
02:02 Jul 23, 2024

The story was engaging, and the plot unexpected. With the duration of just a short story, you managed to weave a narrative that was captivating, left me surprised, and kept me wanting more. You addressed the prompt in a unique way by introducing each character’s deepest desires to the reader just as they were being realized by each character, and explored the theme of desire and what ends people will meet to achieve what they want most. In introducing the spooky podcast in the car, you foreshadowed horrors of a depth the reader might not hav...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.