29 comments

Historical Fiction Teens & Young Adult American



“You know you are beautiful when you smile,” Max assured his wife as he draped his arm over her shoulder to pull her toward him in a side hug and kissed the top of her salt and peppered head arrayed with a wide, stretchy headband. He waved to the departing helicopter.

“So I am not so beautiful now as I scowl at this mess?” Miriam knitted her brows together as she gazed out over acres and acres of trash-strewn devastation now simmering under the once shy summer sun. Gone were the lush green pastures, now only muddy manure pits remained dotted with heaps of plastic waste.

“Oh, I caught the smile first. Don't try to hide it. Overall you enjoyed this weekend rubbing shoulders with the youngsters. Sam was satisfied.”

“But look! Just look at what those youngsters left behind for us to clean up! If we can clean it up? Thirty-five years! Thirty-five years of our blood, sweat and tears we poured into this family farm for what? One big weekend party and ka-blooey! It is all brought to ruin in a blink of the eye. Just look, Max, just look! Where do we begin?” she searched pleadingly into his twinkling eyes.

“Oh, look, the young reporter from Middletown has arrived on his motorbike. He'll have some questions for us. Smile. Don't worry. It will all turn out fine. Remember we made what usually takes us a year to make in a weekend and they said it will be cleaned up in two weeks.”

<=<=<= Three weeks prior.

Elliot Tibit, a hotel owner near Wallkill, NY, with permit in hand was in desperate negotiations with festival promoter, Michael Lang, to hold a summer pop music event on his 15-acre property after a previous venue plan fell through. Knowing from advance sales the acreage wasn't going to be enough Tibit reluctantly introduced the promoter to a realtor in a nearby town. That realtor showed Mr. Lang the lush, sizable Yasgur farm shaped in a bowl. Sam Yasgur assured the duo his father, Max, would be on-board leasing the property for the event at the agreed upon $10,000 price.

The stage planned at the bottom of the bowl would be back-dropped by a neighbor's picturesque pond. However, that neighbor, Mr. Filippini, never signed a lease agreement for his piece of property. The town officials issuing the permit, the townspeople, and the owners of the property were all assured by the promoter and his associates attendance was estimated to be 50,000 people.

=>=>=> Three days prior to event.

“Time is running short so we can complete the fence and the ticket booth or we complete the stage in the next three days.” The harried construction foreman consulted with Joel Rosenman, one of the financiers.

“Some choice. No fence means it becomes a free event and we go bankrupt. No stage means no concert. Get the stage up. Also the towers for the speakers and whatever lighting can be done.”

“The reconstructed roof from the previous venue choice won't be strong enough to hold the lighting. It will have to be spot lights only.”

“Get someone on it.”

Also blatantly lacking were adequate sanitation considerations and reliable food vendors.

=>=>=> Two days prior to event.

50,000 'early bird' ticket-holding attendees show up and plant themselves in front of the half-finished stage. And the crowds kept coming. They stepped over the fallen fences and entered freely.

=>=>=> One day before.

And the cars and the trucks and the vans and the bugs and the buses and the campers and the tractors and the six-wheelers and the motorbikes and the whatever...all kept coming.

=>=>=> Day of the big event.

Walkers came and kept coming. The roads were all traffic jammed so vehicles were abandoned and walkers kept walking. They carried their backpacks and their coolers and their sleeping bags and their toddlers. They came and they waited. And they waited...

<=<=<=

Back in April Creedence Clearwater Revival was the first major entertainment name to sign on to perform at the beleaguered festival. Once they were on board others joined in but some of the biggest names avoided the poorly planned and doubtful of success outdoor rural platform or had other engagements. But the draw was significant, none the less.

Sweetwater was scheduled as the first act but they were held up by traffic. The popular Ritchie Havens, a folk, soul and rhythm and blues singer/guitarist opened instead. A total of thirty-two acts played that weekend. If they weren't big names before, they became big names afterwards.

A few of the head-liners were: Joan Baez, six-months pregnant at the time; Arlo Guthrie; Santana; Country Joe McDonald; John Sebastian, an attendee enlisted to play while the crowd waited for arrival of other stars, he later founded Lovin' Spoonful; Grateful Dead; Janis Joplin; Sly and the Family Stone; The Who; Jefferson Airplane; Joe Cocker; Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young; Sha, Na, Na; and closing it out Jimi Hendrix; but don't forget Blood, Sweat and Tears poured their all into it.

Entertainers were brought in by helicopters when the roads became blocked.

They sang the blues and soul and country and folk and rock and harder rock. They sang all day, all night and all through the rain. A thunderstorm stopped them on Sunday afternoon but they played on 'til Monday morning when the cows came home.

The three day event turned into four. Sandwiches and flowers were dropped from the air. Some used the Filippini pond as their bath house. Everyone shared whatever they had to share.

Some paid the $18 entry fee but most did not. That would be $140 for today's concert goers. The promoters and investors went bankrupt until a film came out the following year and made up for it all. The first performer was paid $750; the last one $10,000 ($80,000 in current economy).

In a summer of love and stepping on the moon the theme was music and peace as evidenced by Swami Satchidananda opening the show and no violence erupting. Red, yellow, black, brown, or white all were welcomed at the site. Estimates hovering around 400,000 to 600,000 attendees got muddy and they got tired and they got high and they got hungry and they got their monies worth and they got put in history books.

They defined a new generation, created new fashion statements, set new norms, danced to a different beat. Anti-establishment, anti-war, anti-hate expressed in music, song and art. Dropped-out, tuned-in looking for spiritual connection and embracing the planet.

New laws were enacted by local and state legislatures to ban mass gatherings of this sort. Neighbors sued.

Today a memorial plaque is located at the site. The name alone is an economic engine for the area.

=>=>=>

“So smile for the camera, Mr. and Mrs. Yasgur. You may have just made history. August 15-18, 1969. Do you think you'll be holding an anniversary concert next year? I know our town is Bethel but everyone is calling it 'Woodstock'.”

“No, Young Man. I think I'll go back to being a simple dairy farmer.”



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodstock#Aftermath

June 07, 2023 20:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

29 comments

12:52 Jun 10, 2023

Most of this has American Pie - Don McLean vibes. That song while reading this story. Awesome

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michał Przywara
20:56 Jun 08, 2023

Yeah, like others, I had a suspicion it was Woodstock :) "You may have just made history" - No argument there. "Today a memorial plague" - plaque? The vignette format gives us a good overview of the festival, and the piece feels a bit like a documentary. Though what's curious here is, this story isn't actually about the festival itself, but about what happens before and after. But that's worth looking at too, since it didn't happen in a vacuum. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
21:06 Jun 08, 2023

Thanks for catching that goof. That's one of those words I always get wrong and don't see it. I wondered about the too documentary aspect. Thought about adding more anecdotal elements like when Creedence Clearwater was playing at their midnight time slot to a sleeping crowd. One guy way to the back kept flicking his Bic and cried out 'we are here for you'. That's who the star played for.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
18:52 Jun 08, 2023

I immediately thought of Woodstock when I read Miriam's first line. So happy you wrote about it and it is from a rather unique perspective that you chose to write about it from the Yasgur's perspective. I bet their neighbors hated them, but perhaps the price was worth paying?

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:30 Jun 08, 2023

Yeah, thought I gave it away there. Neighbors did sue. I added that but you may have read it before I did. Mr. Yasgur died in '73. Wonder how long it took to grow back to the way it was.

Reply

Wally Schmidt
20:30 Jun 08, 2023

Pretty sure that expression "you can never go back again" applied here. Thanks for taking on the OG of rock concerts!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
15:17 Jun 08, 2023

Oof poor Max and Miriam. ”gone we’re the lush green pastures” I might cry if that happened to me. XD Well written! Thanks for writing. :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:23 Jun 08, 2023

Thanks for reading and liking. Don't know how they ever got it back to normal.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
12:15 Jun 08, 2023

Woodstock was my first thought with the prompt, there’s no festival more famous for its aftermath. Well done on telling this one.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
12:32 Jun 08, 2023

See, glad I got it out. Yours would have been historical! I had so much trouble relating to these prompts. Never been over the moon for any stars.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joe Smallwood
02:54 Jun 08, 2023

Hello Mary! Good as any this one! And yes I would be concerned if someone else latched onto it. Not that I would. Never thought of it. So, not so terrible prompts after all! Oh, it's Jimi Hendrix. Yeah, I put a y in that one too. I think I bought two of his albums on vinyl before vinyl came back popular. All along the watchtower and Hey Joe! were my favorites. In grade 8! No Woodstock for me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Chris Miller
20:28 Jun 07, 2023

If you're going to write about the aftermath of a show then why not make it one of the most famous shows ever? I wish I had thought of that.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
20:41 Jun 07, 2023

Oh, my, I just now posted that! Don't know if I have been sharing my angst about this theme with you but it has not been an easy week coming up with something. I am at an age I could have been there if I had known about it but am not of the crowd that would have tried. I vaguely remember my sister mentioning it to me but am not sure. Thought I better get it posted before someone else did think of it. Not sure if very good? Anyway, thought I would imagine what it must have been like. Yep, I asked my sister and she very much wanted to go but c...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
15:05 Jun 24, 2023

Hi Mary, Oh what an interesting take on the prompt and on a historical event. I liked that you had us rushing into the action and that you included a good bit of background info. I could tell this was certainly a take on a historical event from the way you structured this build up. My heart lamented for your characters. The ones behind the scenes rarely get the spotlight shined on them. I really like that the piece felt like a bomb waiting to go off-and in fact the even it was inspired by was such a historic moment that it’s taught in histor...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:29 Jun 24, 2023

Thank you kindly☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Glenda Toews
00:23 Jun 18, 2023

Mary!!! I loved it!! What a fantastic story for this prompt, well done! This must have been fun to write :D

Reply

Mary Bendickson
00:42 Jun 18, 2023

I struggled so much to the weeks prompts. Woodstock was the only thing that came to mind.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ralph Aldrich
05:48 Jun 15, 2023

Thanks for showing the other side of the coin.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lily Finch
15:02 Jun 11, 2023

Mary, nice job tellling all about Woodstock's inception until its ending and the aftermath a year later. How it landed in the history books and its importance to the music world. It was a generational thing and a time of peace, love, and music. Love it. Two areas that may need attention: Max assured his wife as he draped his arm over her shoulder to pull her toward him in a side hug and kissed the top of her salt and peppered head arrayed with wide stretchy headband. - with a wide ? Fly and the Family Stone - Sly ? Thanks for the good read...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:25 Jun 11, 2023

Thanks.

Reply

Lily Finch
16:12 Jun 11, 2023

No problem, Woodstock rocks. LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John Werner
12:07 Jun 11, 2023

Mary! This was amazing! I had the opportunity to visit the Woodstock Museum in Bethel, NY last summer. Your piece was just as transporting as that visit. Maybe you should share this with the folks there? I wouldn't be surprised if they absolutely love it!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
12:26 Jun 11, 2023

Thanks for the encouragement.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Olivia Lake
22:58 Jun 10, 2023

Love the idea of writing about Woodstock from the Yasgurs' POV. The last line clinches everything together. As someone who works in dairy - I do hope their cows were okay.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
22:59 Jun 10, 2023

Thanks. I hope so, too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
14:41 Jun 10, 2023

At first I thought Coachella, but as I read on it became clear that the story was about Woodstock. I would have liked to know your take on the event...ground zero for leftist cultural propaganda and bacchanalian youth culture, or a spectacle that actually made the world a kinder, gentler place? I'm sure the Yasgur's assessment was very different than that of the average concert goer. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:12 Jun 10, 2023

If you read any of the other comments you know I wasn't there but my older sister very much wanted to go then was glad they didn't because how chaotic it was. Yet the overwhelming consensus was it was so amazing because there was no violence. Townspeople remarked how polite the youth were. National media at first wanted to portray everything as negative but when parents of the kids started reporting that coverage wasn't true they had to take note and change. It is too bad there was so much drug usage but with half a million people only two p...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
14:28 Jun 10, 2023

What a way to personalize and humanize history!! I was too young to go to or really acknowledge Woodstock, but I remember the chaos that ensued. I wrote for farmers most of my career, and I can only imagine their reactions to and feelings about this onslaught. This would be a great POV for a Woodstock docudrama.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:56 Jun 10, 2023

Thanks for the input.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.