Bodhi's My Best Friend!

Submitted into Contest #41 in response to: Write about an animal who goes on a journey.... view prompt

1 comment

Kids

BODHI’S MY BEST FRIEND!

               I bet every kid in the world, at some time I’m sure, has wanted a pet. I know I did. I kept asking my mom, and asking, “Mom, please can we get a puppy, please, please, please.” I figure, however, that everyone has endured the pains of disappointment, truly upset because some expectation, some hoping for, was not gratified. When we have our heart set on something, hearing ‘no’ is crushing. That’s why I’m happy to say, I got a new puppy today. I’m so excited! She used the time to discover my preferences.

               My mom surprised me for my thirteenth birthday; today, May 13th. Mom and Dad have been saying ‘no’ for so long now that I was really doubting it would happen. But it did! His name is “Bodhi” and he’s a Border Collie, sheep-dog, just as requested. He is so cute, especially with his rusty-brown and white patches, or his ‘markings’ as breeders call them; two patches of brown around his eyes and white on his nose in between and all about different patches of the two colors. His eyes, when we looked at each other, look like a playful-dizziness. Quite hilarious to see. In any case, My mom and dad surprised me and all the disappointment felt before disappeared today. “Thanks Mom. Thanks Dad. I love you!”

               On top of that, Bodhi has already taken me on a very magical journey; out, just past the field and over the swinging bridge that leads to the river’s edge. We left right after breakfast, this morning. Me and Bodhi, we stopped in the pasture for a few to paly around before going the river and we reached the it mid-morning, after playing, and as the sun started to reach high-above us. I loved the start of this day, and it amounted to a magical trip; although, I’d like to keep it between Bodhi and myself, so I’m writing it down instead of telling anyone-- What a day, though!

               It was early this morning when my mom and dad woke me up, surprising me with a puppy. We had been discussing it for weeks and the same answer every time, “No Sabrina, we’re not getting a pet” but now I know why; and, I got the exact puppy I wanted, which was a “Queensland-healer” brown and white instead of black and white, of which I kept saying when the topic would come up.  This was the best day ever! First, I was roused, awakened by the wet feel from three puppy-licks, and to the ‘happy-birthday’ song my parents were singing to me. It was all worth the wait, I quickly gave in, and Bodhi is the best thing I ever could have dreamed for. He’s my best friend! And, my mom and dad are so cool.

               From the moment I woke up, it felt like Bodhi and I attached and bonded immediately, from the moment our eyes connected and the fog lifted from my sleepiness. Nevertheless, getting back to the day. So, Bodhi and I go to the river, after breakfast and after stopping to play in the fields for a few, after running across the bridge and down the path, and we relaxed-in by the bank near a big shady tree. I leaned up against the trunk of it, pulled my book out from my pouch, and while I was reading, Bodhi fell asleep with his head and paws on my lap, laying in between my legs. It was a sunny but cloudy day; I call these days, “fluffy-days”. In any case, I read aloud for Bodhi, just because it felt like he liked it. He laid with content, gratified, and I presumed it was from the sound of me reading, but it was probably from playing in the fields before coming here. We sat in an airy-spot with the clouds drifting-by.

               As he fell asleep and I got further into the reading, it was like the clouds took over and it felt like Bodhi and I were floating above the world, together. His fluffy-fur, the fluffy-clouds, and my book, “Puff the Magic Dragon” (song released 1963; Artist: Peter, Paul, Mary). The place we were in started to drift with the day, light clouds seem to carry us to some off-distant place, and Bodhi and I took an awfully different ride together. Not one I’ve ever experienced, I can tell you! I can’t tell you yet, whether it was real or just a dream? No matter, it was the best dream ever; if, in fact, it was just a dream. The place we drifted to must not have been too-far away because in what felt like less than a minute, the cloud Bodhi and I were on dissipated and we were left standing on a tall-mountaintop with the clouds all around us.

               The clouds were not solid or firm, and they continued to float about; around us, from top to the bottom and even through us, as we looked-out at a panoramic view of blue-water-sea, all-encompassing of this spot or island upon which Bodhi and I now stood, atop of the largest mountain on the island. This was such a beautiful sight to see; such a wonderful, perfect birthday! Bodhi started tugging my pant-leg and pulling me so as to go with him; I obliged, and he guided us to a trail which lead down the mountain and into, what looked like, a small village with one big tent, like a circus-tent, and a bunch of bungalows all around it. We took out time exploring as we went down the hill but this place was mysterious, to say the least. The ambiance was pleasure and joy, but confusion and wonder also was mixed into the feelings.

               When we reached the town, no one was around, at all. Bodhi barked at me and directed us to the big tent we saw from the mountain. The trail went around and around the mountain, and as we were coming down it, I hadn’t really noticed just how small the parish, or the tent, actually was; I mean, it couldn’t have been bigger than our school auditorium, which can only hold 785 kids at one time. I held Bodhi back for a minute when we got there because I wanted to take a peek first. You know, to see what we in for. Bodhi, however, had other plans and he rushed into the tent without any notice. By more instinctive nature, more than anything I would presume, I rushed in after him.

               What was inside the tent was shocking; almost, unbelievable. It was like every kid who had ever been disappointed at one time in their life or another, hurt or saddened by one thing and another, was in that tent. Every sad moment I had ever had was represented in a different kid; each one sharing their story, as Bodhi and I went and visited each one of them during the day. Each kid wanted this or that, was sad because this happened or that happened, but after talking and Bodhi jumping and playing, each kid would regain happiness and get up and go out to play about the village. There were literally hundreds of children, all younger than myself and we got to make each one of them joyfully-happy that day; and, their problems were no longer problems after Bodhi and I got past them in the tent.

               Soon, all the kids who were in the tent, with symptoms like they were sick or something, after we came, were now out and about playing. Bodhi and I went to join them and we all shared with games and laughter that whole entire day. We played hopscotch, tether ball, marbles, and Jacks. It seemed time was standing still for oh so very long during this wonderful day. And Bodhi; well, I couldn’t have gotten anything more precious than what I got this thirteenth birthday of mine. A day I will never forget and always cherish. Bodhi made all the difference in the world; not only for me, but all those other hundreds of sad kids. I remember, just before we left the town, there was not one upset kid and that having such a feeling and knowing this was an awesome experience! I don’t know, at least with Bodhi around, how I could ever be sad or get disappointed again.

               Before I knew it, Bodhi as tugging at my clothes again. Only this time, it was him pulling at my shoulder and arm sleeve. I woke up under the tree again, by the river bank. There was my boy, Bodhi, just nipping and growling and pulling at me; almost, it seemed, with a smile on his snout? His eyes met mine, like in the morning, and I sat up to ruffle him up a bit and play for a few before leaving for home. It must have been a while at the island of “Honali” because the sun was now starting to lower to the level of the horizon. I put my things back in the pouch and me and Bodhi headed back towards home. I couldn’t help but feeling pride in how much joy my pet brought to all those kids; Bodhi, my new best friend, was a hero that day and I was proud of our trip to the island. Something I never forgot to this day, 23 years later.

               Bodhi has since passed-on and I hope to see him again someday; but, it will never go unrecognized how much support this one pet brought to me at that time in my life. I have my own daughter now and her father and I just got her a pet; it’s only a fish, but she’s only 5 years old, too. We know we will get her a puppy someday, that’s just how this works, but we are waiting so she can decide in time what pet suits her the best; like, the way Bodhi had done for me from the time I was 13 until I reached 26, ten years ago. He was my sole best friend for all that time. Then Jack and I met, had little Jessica, and now after those ten years in between, I too am ready for another friend like the one I had in Bodhi.

               Pets mean more than anything else sometimes; especially, for a child who is really looking to have a pet. A dog, a cat, or a fish, it doesn’t matter because pets open passages to the gift of life for a child. At least, one did for me; Bodhi, my long lost companion, who I will never forget, made so many kids in one day happier than they will ever forget. This little bit of encouragement is sometimes all a child may need. From there, the world is an imaginable, fun place for everyone to enjoy. Just remember to take one thing from my story, if nothing else; a pet can mean the world of difference for a child’s world-view, offering compassion and love. So, don’t neglect the connections that are freely offered through a pet. Besides, they remain in your life forever! (1870) TLD 5-10-2020


May 10, 2020 18:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

𝔸. Triangle
22:05 May 20, 2020

Here for critique circle :) Hey Ted! I really enjoyed the story! My birthday was also on the 13th so that was an enjoyable little fact in my read! Anyway, I believe that your story conveyed a fantastic message and I enjoyed the plot! There were some missing commas that I noticed, but other than that great job! Sincerely, A.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.