4 comments

Holiday

“I do.”

“Do you, Georgette Alicia, take this man? To have and hold, for better and for worse ‘til death do you part.”

“I do.”

“I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss.”

The new version of the Sullivan-Morgan’s (all the names were hyphenated) had no time for a honeymoon. Two homes were on the market and there was a new home on the hill to purchase with room for all. All being the two Sullivan girls ages 3 and 6 (Mary and Morgan (yes, Morgan Sullivan-Morgan) and the Morgan boys, 4 and 10 (John and Kelvin). Pat was excited to have two sons who he could teach to play ball, and Georgie would finally have daughters. Pat and Georgie were adamant that the move be completed before the school year started; June, July, August, September – no more than 4 months.

By the end of July, the move was in progress. Pat drove the U-haul to the Morgan house and organized the moving crew which consisted of Uncle Steve and three of his student athletes. The new house would have new furniture, but there was still close to 40 boxes with clothes, mementos, holiday decorations, etc. There were another 50 boxes to get later from the former Sullivan homestead. Pat and Georgie were overseeing action at the loading ramp.

“Oh,” commented Georgie, “there’s our Christmas tree!”

Pat saw a box with the picture of a silver artificial tree with blue ornaments. He was aghast.

“Georgie, baby, we always do a real tree. It makes the house smell like Christmas. We can search the lot for just the right tree. Balance it in the stand. Turn the best side forward.”

“But, what about the pine needles?”

“Not a problem. We’ll have them cut an inch off the base so the tree will draw water. Leave the tree on the back porch for the first night then we can bring it into the house. Two aspirin for the tree and two for you and we are all good.”

“Two aspirin for the tree?”

“Yes, two aspirin in the base with the water helps keep the tree fresh. We will check the water daily for the first week and monitor how much the tree drinks.”

“I don’t know, Pat.”

“All those years, I would put up the Christmas displays at all the K-marts in the district. There would be twenty different fake trees, inflatables, lights galore, but it didn’t smell like Christmas. …. We could have two real trees if you like one in the living room and another in the front yard, outback or upstairs.”

“Two trees? That’s unheard of, but it’s all new this year.”

Around Halloween the realization came that the Thanksgiving/Christmas extended family expectations for attendance were an issue. The new house had the kitchen and space so it was decided to host. Grandparents could come and go as they like, but Pat and Georgette would control the kitchen.

Thanksgiving came off without a hitch. It was three days of cooking in the making, but everyone’s favorite dish was prepared. There was turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, yams with marshmallows, fresh vegetables, green bean casserole with the fried onions, pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, pecan pie, homemade cranberry sauce, and cranberry sauce from the can (with the ripples for Uncle Steve). No one could feel slighted.

Friday was spent cleaning and recovering from the week. Come Saturday the focus would turn to Christmas.

Saturday was spent picking out trees. There would be a nine-foot tree for the living room and a seven-foot tree for the back deck. A 24’ extension ladder, 150’ of C7 colored string lights, and 500 cup holder hooks were bought to decorate the exterior. The trees spent Saturday night on the deck; they were ready for the house Sunday morning.

The nine-footer was placed in the living room. Couches were moved as Georgie Feng Shui’d the room. She chose the best side of the tree. Pat attacked the outside lights with Uncle Steve and their helpers Kelvin & Morgan. The kids’ job was not to knock the ladder, stand clear in case Dad or Uncle Steve fell, and identify any bulbs that were out.

The house looked great and Pat and Georgie wanted the kids to have a really special first Christmas as a family. The living room tree met all expectations with the blue ornaments and white lights. The kids were funded to get gifts for all their siblings. Santa had gifts hidden in the attic and at Grandma’s house. Georgie went into the garage and was digging through boxes.

“I found it!” she exclaimed as she rushed back in a VCR tape of It’s a Wonderful Life held victoriously over her head.

Pat laughed as he went to the den and retrieved a DVD of Miracle on 34th Street.

“You know,” he stated “we don’t have a VCR or DVD player anymore. But we can stream the movies.”

Kelvin’s eyes rolled and the other children sat in disbelief as Pat described growing up with a black & white television, eight stations (4 VHF, 4 UHF), a TV guide from the newspaper and no remote. Georgie sent Pat to the kitchen for popcorn and hot chocolate before he had the children believing he walked to and from school barefoot through the snow uphill both ways.

The Sullivan-Morgan’s would make it a double-feature. Miracle on 34th Street first for the whole family. It’s a Wonderful Life second for mom, dad and the two older children.  Pat took the kids in the kitchen for a popcorn lesson.

“Morgan, get the spaghetti pot! Kelvin, grab the cooking oil and popcorn. Mary, get the plastic bowls from the bottom shelf.”

Pat proceeded to fire the stove, pour a layer of oil covering the bottom of the pan and dropped three kernels in the pot. He placed the lid askew over the top of the pot and waited. ….. Pop, pop, …. Pop.

Pat took the lid off, poured just enough kernels to fill the bottom of the pot and replaced the lid. 

“Morgan, get a paper grocery bag. Kelvin – the small pot and butter.”

The kernels were firing off like a machine gun. Pat had the kids look through the glass lid as the popped corn was approaching the top of the pot. Pat shook the pot a few times and the kernel popping slowed. Pat took the pot off the heat as the kernel popping dropped to a trickle just before the popcorn on the bottom would burn. Pat had the kids stand back as he put the hot lid in the sink and dumped the popcorn into the grocery bag. The kids were only familiar with microwave popcorn so this all seemed foreign.

Pat took just over a half cube of butter and melted it slowly in the small pot. He also grabbed the ramekin of salt they left by the stove for cooking. He poured the butter into the grocery bag added couple pinches of salt folded over the top and shook the bag violently.

“Kelvin, Morgan try a piece. What do you think?”

They both said more salt and Pat agreed. He put in a few more pinches of salt and folded the top over again.

“John, shake it. Shake it real good.”

John shook the popcorn like his life depended on it. Their eyes all lit up when they tasted hot popcorn with real butter and salt. They boiled water in the kettle to make packets of hot chocolate.

Georgie and Pat were sprawled together on the couch. The kids were scattered about the room according to size; Kelvin in the recliner, Morgan on the ottoman, John and Mary laying on the throw rug. Georgie caught Pat and all the children mouthing, “I believe” along with little Natalie Wood. The two younger children were put to bed during the intermission. The hot chocolate was refilled and the second feature started. Pat and Georgie would have to carry the two older kids to bed as even they couldn’t last through Wonderful Life.

“Paaat,” started Georgie.

“Yesss?” responded Pat cautiously recognizing the tone in Georgie’s voice.

“We have a problem. A Christmas problem.” Georgie continued.

“I thought we were doing well. Everyone is covered for gifts, the tree looks great, we pulled off Thanksgiving. What is it?” Pat said astonished.

“I overheard Morgan talking to Johnny about Christmas.”

“She still believes in Santa; she didn’t burst that bubble, did she?” Pat interjected.

“No, no. Nothing like that. Morgan told Johnny that they would get up early Christmas morning to open presents.” Georgie stated as if there was a problem.

“So?” Pat said wishing he had eaten rather than uttered the word.

“So! We are a Christmas Eve family with just a Santa present Christmas morning. So that! Pat!”

“UhOh. I grew up as a Christmas morning family. So have the girls. The whole house getting up before 6; turning on the tree lights and exchanging gifts before a big breakfast.” Pat now saw the dilemma.

It was three weeks to Christmas; Pat and Georgie had no solution. Do it the Morgan way? Do it the Sullivan way? Pat and Georgie tried to develop a hybrid. Open one present on Christmas Eve. Open all the sibling to sibling gifts on Christmas Eve. Time passed. Georgette and Pat were more at odds. If they did not get this right, their first Christmas together would be ruined.

It was the 21st and they were no closer to a solution. Kelvin and Morgan came to their parents and asked if they could watch Miracle on 34th Street again. The family gathered and watched it again. As the credits rolled, Pat and Georgette looked at each other and nodded.

Pat started, “Your mom and I have something to talk to you about. You see before we became the Sullivan-Morgan’s each family handled Christmas different. The Morgan’s did presents Christmas Eve, and the Sullivan’s did presents Christmas morning. We don’t know what to do.”

Georgette added, “We just want us all to have a wonderful Christmas.”

The little ones looked confused, but Kelvin called the kids into a huddle.

Kelvin popped his head from the huddle and nonchalantly asked, “Mom, Dad could you give us a couple of minutes?”

Pat and Georgie gazed at each other a bit stunned by the request.

“Alright.” said Pat.

“Could you leave the room?” Kelvin was now directing the show.

“Alright.” agreed Georgette as the parents retreated to the kitchen.

It felt like an hour but it was only five minutes before Morgan was at the kitchen door.

“Mom, Dad you can come back now.”

Kelvin stated in tone worthy of a 30-year old, “No worries. We have this covered.”

Pat and Georgette were still in the dark.

Pat stammered, “What do you think?”

“You’ll see.” was all that Morgan responded and the kids left the room.

Uncle Steve came by more days than not and the 22nd was no exception. That day though the kids would shanghai Uncle Steve. He had an important role to play. Once given his instructions Uncle Steve agreed to perform his tasks and was sworn to secrecy.

Christmas Eve would just be the Sullivan-Morgan nuclear family. The extended family would arrive midday on Christmas for extended gift exchange. As the major meal would be Christmas Day, Pat just prepared his homemade clam chowder and corn bread for Christmas Eve. Dinner was early 5 p.m.

All the gifts (except those from Santa) were under the tree. With four kids, two parents, Uncle Steve and the grandparents there was quite the haul. Pat and Georgette were waiting for the kids to tell them what was the plan. The roles were totally reversed Pat and Georgette could not wait to see what would happen.

Kelvin and Morgan knew that Johnnie’s and Mary’s bedtime was fast approaching. Kelvin called the huddle. Morgan and Johnnie ran to the boys’ room as Kelvin collected Mary and the parents in front of the tree.

“Sit down. We’re ready to start Christmas.” Kelvin said.

At that moment, Morgan and Johnnie ran in with two presents. The wrapping had all the earmarks of little hands that had never wrapped before. Awkward cuts, lots of tape, sticky bows all about.

“What, are these?” Pat exclaimed.

Morgan replied, “We wanted you to have a special Christmas. Open them, open them.”

Pat got red and white striped socks with individual toes. Georgette got Christmas light bulb earrings that blinked. Georgette cried and Pat had to hold back tears.

After the group hugging was finished. Kelvin explained.

“We love Christmas too. Morgan and I broke into our banks. We took Uncle Steve aside and told him what we wanted to do. He promised not to tell. We gave him our money and told him what we wanted. It had to cost under $18.77. We’re going to bed. We’ll open our presents in the morning.”

With that, the kids went upstairs on their own. Kelvin put Mary down and Morgan saw that Johnnie got to bed.

Pat and Georgette looked at each other with such a sense of calm.

Simultaneously they said, “Best Christmas ever.”

November 25, 2020 06:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Lisandra Bergey
03:45 Dec 06, 2020

So sweet! I love the details-stove top popcorn, the classic movies, the technology gap between the parents and kids- LOL. And so cool that they made the plan. :)

Reply

David Devine
21:09 Dec 06, 2020

I'm a Miracle on 34th Street guy. Black & White every year (but I do DVR it now!).

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Colin Devonshire
03:05 Dec 03, 2020

Loved it. Felt like I was there.

Reply

David Devine
06:44 Dec 03, 2020

I know I've been there.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.