5 comments

LGBTQ+ Sad Crime

This story contains sensitive content

Note: I wanted to write a story about a manipulative narcissist. It ended up only being dialogue, and it was more challenging than I had imagined. This said, I would like strong critiques on how this could be improved. To whoever reads this - feel free to let loose with the critiques.

Warning: Mentions of suicide, manipulation

Interrogation Transcript : Margaret Thompson

Date: 05/11/1997

Location: St. George Police Station, St. George, SC

Interrogating Officer(s): Sgt. Patrick Green

Time at start of interrogation: 8:22 am

Green: Good morning Margaret, we apologize for the wait.

Thompson: Good morning.

Green: My name is Sergeant Patrick Green. I’d like to thank you for choosing to come to the station to talk to me today. You are not being held, and you are free to leave any time you would like. I just want to get your side of the story so that we can best understand what happened. But before we get into any of that though, we just need some basic information for our records. Could you please state your name?

Thompson: Of course. Margaret Thompson.

Green: Did you grow up in St. George, Margaret?

Thompson: No, I didn’t. I grew up in Hillsborough, about…2 hours north of here.   

Green: Oh, alright. When did you come to St. George?

Thompson: I – well, we came to St. George after Greg got a job in town as a labourer and I was about to give birth to my son, my Peter. That was about thirteen years ago now.

Green: Where is Peter now?

Thompson: I dropped him off at Gladys Mayes’ house this morning. Many of the families are there now, engaged in prayer. I would like to make this quick so that I can join them.

Green: Of course, Margaret. We’ll try to finish this up as quick as we can.

Thompson: Thank you.

Green: Could you please tell us what your day to day looks like?

Thompson: I help with church related activities and donations. I keep the church on its feet, ya know! Did you know that congregation members across our country have been dropping over the past two decades? Kids these days just aren’t being taught proper values. It is becoming more and more difficult for churches to stay afloat, even with government subsidies. My job is to make sure we’re receiving enough donations to be able to keep spreading the good word of the lord. Are you a Christian, Mr. Green?

Green: I grew up Catholic.  

Thompson: You should come to the church one day. We can have a chat, I can show you what you’re missing.

Green: Sure. Now, I understand that your husband Greg is currently in a coma and has been for the past few years, correct?

Thompson: Hmph, yes, he has. The idiot was working on the house when he fell off the ladder, leaving Peter and I to survive on measly insurance payments. Thankfully, we have the grace of the church to support us.

Green: How did he fall off the ladder?

Thompson: How?

Green: Yes, how did he fall?

Thompson: I don’t know, he just, fell! Maybe a gust of wind or he slipped or somethin’.

Green: What was he doing to the house exactly?

Thompson: He was fixing the siding, and, I dunno, the ladder

tipped. I’ve been trying to call the ladder company since the incident, telling them their product was defective, that it shouldn’t have buckled just like that.

Green: Buckled? Was there something wrong with the ladder?

Thompson: It just broke, you know, loose screw and it tipped. It tipped and George fell and hit his head so hard. I found him, and there was blood everywhere. I had to clean up my husband’s blood, off our clothes. I was in such terrible shock.

Green: I’m sorry that happened Mrs. Thompson.  

Thompson: I can only imagine where me and Peter would be if I didn’t work so hard at the church. Without me, Peter would be completely lost. The church probably wouldn’t survive!

Green: Ok, yeah. Now, if it’s ok, I’d like to ask how you heard about the incident with Gabriel. Could you please tell us where you were and what you were doing when you found out about it?

Thompson: It’s fine, yeah. I was at home, cleaning.

Green: What were you cleaning, exactly

Thompson: Well, that’s a bit of a silly question, don’t you think? I was dusting, doing laundry, vacuuming. And I was interrupted by the phone call and the cleaning still needs to be done, so I’d like to get to the point of the matter if that’s ok with you.

Green: We’re getting there Mrs. Thompson. Who called you?

Thompson: Gladys McPhee, a member of our congregation.

Green: What time did you get the phone call?

Thompson: Oh, um, maybe around three? Yes, around three o’clock.

Green: What exactly did Gladys say to you on the phone?

Thompson: Well, she greeted me, and then told me that the Porters’ boy – Gabriel – had died.

Green: Is that all she said?

Thompson: Yes. Well, yes and no, she said that he was found dead, that he killed himself.

Green: How did you feel when you heard the news?

Thompson: I felt terrible…just terrible! A young boy killed himself, of course I feel terrible, terrible for the family, and terrible for the church! Terrible and angry!

Green: Why do you feel angry?

Thompson (shaking her head): We lost one of our flock, a young one…and on top of that, people from outside might look at our church negatively. You know, with all the news out there!

Green: What news exactly?

Thompson: You know, the news! There’re people out there who want to destroy religion. They started a war on Christmas, on God, what with their pride and abortions – pride is a sin, if I might add. They’re the reason that poor boy killed himself you know!

Green: What do you mean?

Thompson: You said you’re a Catholic. How could you not know what I’m talking about?

Green: I just need to be precise for the report, Mrs. Thompson. Could you please specify?

Thompson: Sigh… As I already told you before, I teach Sunday school after church. Again, without me, these children wouldn’t have God in their lives, I keep them safe from the you-know-whos. A few weeks ago, I saw Gabriel come into church with a pink shirt and rainbow socks. What does that tell you Mr. Green?

Green: What are you implying Mrs. Thompson?

Thompson: Everybody knew it, was saying it. Everyone knew for a long time.

Green: What did everyone know?

Thompson (after a pause, glaring): Gabriel was being groomed.

Green: Groomed by who?

Thompson: Again, everybody knew it. Word spread like wildfire. They poisoned that poor boy. It destroyed our church, and as the person who’s trying to keep the church afloat, it hurt me, so much. Now, I’m going to have to fix all this, mend this congregation. With the power of God, we’ll get through it.

Green: Ok. Are you doing ok? Do you want a coffee?

Thompson: I don’t drink coffee.

Green: Ok. Well, Mrs. Thompson, we found some letters in Gabriel’s room, stashed under his mattress. It seems he was passing letters in school with some of his peers. Did you know about these letters?

Thompson (shakes head): I don’t know anything about any letters.

Green: Well, it seems that some of these letters were being passed between him and your son, Peter. Did Peter ever tell you about these?

Thompson (after a brief silence): No, but if they were between him and Peter, I’d like to see the letters to confirm.

Green: These letters are currently evidence and cannot be shared, but if everything goes well here, we might be able to show them to you. What we can say -

Thompson: Then you don’t know they were for Peter- you can’t, you don’t know so you can’t tell me that. I’m Peter’s mother, so I’d know, but, I’m sorry, but you don’t know.

Green: Ok. No problem. Do you know much about the relationship between Gabriel and Peter? Is there anything there you can tell me?

Thompson (shrugs shoulders):  Until I see the letters, you have no proof that they were between him and Peter. Did you get them at the school? Did that Mrs Roth have them? Let me tell you, I wouldn’t trust her, at all.

Green: Mrs. Thompson, we’re simply working on what we have here. Why wouldn’t you trust Mrs. Roth?

Thompson: I’m pretty sure she’s a sexual predator. She’s in line with the groomers. Her language reflects that.

Green: Can you be more specific? What did she say?

Thompson: She probably tells the children they can penetrate each other, tells young girls that it’s okay to sodomize.

Green: Ok. I’d like to turn the attention back to Gabriel and Peter. Can you describe the relationship they had?

Thompson: They weren’t in a ‘’relationship’’, you should learn your definitions. I’m Peter’s mother, so I would know if they were passing letters.

(pause)

Green: Ok, can you tell me about their friendship?

Thompson: Mr. Green, if you are implying that my son was anyway involved with Gabriel I will call my lawyer and you will be served, by my attorney!

Green: Mrs. Thompson, I would just like to remind you that session is being recorded for our records. Have you ever had any contact with Gabriel in the past few months? Have you ever spoken to him personally or on the phone?

Thompson: No, why would I?

Green: Mrs. Thompson, as I mentioned, you are being recorded. Are you stating – on record – that you’ve never spoken to Gabriel?

Thompson: I came here, today, to talk about the terrible events of what, what happened, and just how terrible all this is. I know who should be arrested right now, and you should know too, unless this station and all its people are incompetent.

Green: Ok. We’re almost done here. Before we finish, I wanted to let you know that we found a letter on Gabriel’s person. It was a suicide note. Your name, Margaret Thompson, is mentioned in the note.  

(Thompson is silent)

Green: Is there anything you want to add? Do you know why

Gabriel would have put your name in the note, specifically?

Thompson (crying): W-why are you doing this to me?  

Green: Mrs. Thompson, who started the rumor that Gabriel was gay?

(Pause)

Green: Mrs. Thompson?

Thompson (crying): No! Absolutely not! But it was true, so what's- why did he put my name in the note? All I do is care for these children, the church, and this is the thanks I get? I..

Green: Mrs. Thompson?

(Mrs. Thompson gets up from the chair and leaves the room. Mr. Green leaves the room)

Interrogation ended at 8:41 am.

June 14, 2024 14:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Robin Tillman
16:34 Jun 17, 2024

I like the premise. I think I would have expanded more on WHY she started the rumor. Obviously, she hates gays and feels responsible for the welfare of the church, but what specifically would have prompted her to start a rumor that led to this boy's suicide? And what happened to him (bullying, etc.) as a result of the rumor?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nina H
12:56 Jun 15, 2024

I’m not very familiar with investigations, but would he ask her what her plans for the day are? I’m not sure that’s needed. Also, is she being questioned due to suspicion about her husband’s “accident” or about the death of Gabriel? Both? I enjoyed the format of this story, and only throw out those questions because you’ve asked specifically for impressions. 😄 you’ve definitely painted a clear picture of the type of person Mrs Thompson is!!!

Reply

Daniel Legare
00:07 Jun 16, 2024

Thanks for your comment Nina! It was tough deciding what the interrogator might ask, as I have seen some that are less formal, but perhaps it is out of place in this story. And yes, there is absolutely a hint of Margaret sabotaging the ladder ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
01:42 Jun 15, 2024

Hey, Daniel. Great story. Doing just dialogue is difficult. And I'm no expert. Barely a dabbler. In reality, (going by TV and books only) Green probably would not ask about Mrs. T feelings. He might repeat: "just answer the question". So, less psychiatry, more Jack Webb. (just the facts, ma'am) A "master manipulators, narcissist, might in the end take more pride in her work. "No, I didn't. Well, it's true. I was just trying to help, get the church behind him, He had to be turned around. Just needed him to listen. How did he find out it w...

Reply

Daniel Legare
00:08 Jun 16, 2024

Thank you for your reply Judy! I very much appreciate the input and I take it to heart! And yes, she probably did do something to the ladder!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.