2 comments

Friendship LGBTQ+ Romance

It had been 15 long years since the last time they had seen each other. Everyone had gone in separate directions, they had all thought they would be together forever, but sometimes, that’s not how things work out.

In 2020 we graduated and now it is 2035, it’s been so long, too long. Two remained together, they married and had a family, forgot the rest of us existed, except for when the fifteen year high school reunion was approaching. 

They arrived at the school at separate times, but soon they ran into each other and the reunion couldn’t have been happier……

Storm was standing near the punch bowl, eagerly watching for someone she knew to appear, she turned around and almost ran smack into another person. “Storm, is that you?” a voice said. Storm broke into a grin, it was Amanda! They hadn’t changed very much, their hair was cut in a pixie style, instead of the long, golden locks they had in high school. “Amanda, it’s so good to see you!” she said, “What’ve you been up to?” “Well, I have a Masters Degree in Social Sciences and work here actually, as a guidance counselor.” Amanda said. “Oh, and I am non-binary, now that I don’t live with my mother, I can be whoever I want, no matter her opinions.” Storm smiled, “That’s great, I know how much you wanted her to accept you as you.” “What’ve you been doing, aside from getting married, that ring is beautiful!” Amanda said. “Yep, I married Prince, he’s around here somewhere, probably is looking for Jack, anyways,  we have a seven year old son named Alec. I am a 4th grade teacher at Garfield Elementary and I run a non-profit to support families in need.” Storm said, smiling. “That’s amazing Storm, I always thought Prince would end up with Leana though,” Amanda said. “Yeah, I know, but they broke up two years after high school, hey look over there, is that…” Storm said. “NO WAY, it is them, c’mon!” Amanda said, dragging Storm with her away.

Carlos just walked into the gym when he saw someone very familiar standing near the stage, he immediately went over and tapped on their shoulder. “Jo is that you,” he said. The person turned around and their face lit up when they saw who was standing behind them. “Carlos, I can’t believe it’s you,” they said. “How’ve you been.” “Well I am a Sports Broadcaster at CNN and that’s about it,” Carlos said. “What’ve you been up to Jo?” Jo was still smiling, “Let’s see, I am an English teacher here, Amanda works here too by the way, and I am still genderqueer and straight, otherwise nothin else has changed.” “Your hair looks good, the chin-length suits you,” Carlos said. Jo laughed, “Thanks, yours hasn’t changed at all.” They both smiled at each other. “Soo,” Jo said. “Are you in a relationship?” Carlos’ smile faded a little, then it brightened again. “No actually.” he said. “I dated a coworker for a week four years ago, but my last serious relationship was you, what about you,” he said, making eye contact with Jo. “Nope, last time I dated was, well, you.” they said smiling shyly. Carlos looked around for a minute. He paused abruptly. “Hey, look over there, is that who I think it is?” he said. “Jo looked where Carlos was pointing and smiled. “I think it is, c’mon!” They smiled and grabbed Carlos’ hand and they hurried away. 

Marcus was standing against the wall, watching the sea of people crowded into their high school gym. They thought about all of the memories here, all the people here, everything here that shaped their life. They smiled to themselves before walking over to a pair of people having a conversation a few feet away. It took them a moment to recognize the pair, the woman’s hair was longer and the man’s was very short, what seemed like a buzzcut. “Hey guys,” they said. The two figures stopped talking and broke into huge grins when they saw who had approached them. The woman spoke first, “Marcus, oh my gosh it’s so good to see you!” “Hey Marcus,” the man said. “Hi Kayla, hi Jay, it’s been too long, what are y’all up to nowadays?” they asked. Kayla smiled, “We got married two years into college and have two children, a nine year old girl named Joy and an eleven year old son named Matt. I am a lawyer and Jay over here can tell you what he does.” Jay smiled slyly, “I’m an FBI agent,” he said. Marcus laughed, “No way, seriously, who knew all those jokes about the FBI would make one of us become an actual FBI agent!” “So what do you do now Marcus?” Jay said. “Well, I am a teacher at a middle school nearby and I do some public speaking on the side for LGBTQ+ rights and recognition, after all I am non-binary and bisexual.” they said. “That’s amazing, I always knew you would do great things, oh, and did I mention I love your hair.” Kayla said. “Thanks, it hasn’t changed at all, same old pixie cut, and I always knew you two would end up together,” Marcus said. All of a sudden four excited voices came up on the group from all sides. After a moment of stunned silence, all eight embraced. The gang was back together again. 

After a hug that seemed like forever they looked at each other, smiling, studying the faces of their friends from so long ago. They all started talking at once, asking how each other had been, what they were up to, who they were with. Carlos tapped Jo on the shoulder and motioned for them to follow. The two snuck away from their old friends, who barely noticed they had left, and went out into the hall. “I missed you,” Carlos said. “I missed you too,” Jo replied. They gazed into each other’s eyes. “Your eyes are still the same,” Jo said. “What do you mean?” Carlos asked. “They’re the same deep, brown eyes I gazed into in high school, the eyes of the man I fell in love with all those years ago.” Jo said, smiling. “Your eyes are the same too,” Carlos said. “How?” Jo asked. “They’re the same bright bluish, greenish, grayish, whatever color they are, anyways, they always made me smile and made me happy.” he said. They started staring deep into each other’s eyes again, remembering all of the times they spent together in high school and how much they loved and missed each other’s presence in their lives. Before they knew it, their lips were touching and their eyes were shut, grasping each other’s hands. That’s exactly how Storm, Amanda, Kayla, Jay, and Marcus found them a moment later. They finally pulled away and looked at their friends, smiling. “This is why we came back today, to see each other and mend old relationships.” Amanda said. Carlos looked at Jo, “Do you wanna try this again?” he asked. “Yeah, I do, but this time, we’ll do it right,” Jo said smiling. Carlos and Jo walked over to their friends, still holding hands and all eight embraced once again, this time they wouldn’t forget each other and miss out on being in each other’s lives.

Two years later Carlos and Jo got married and lived out the rest of their days together, with their friends by their side the entire time. 

February 02, 2021 01:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Nancy Drayce
21:26 Feb 09, 2021

Such a lovely story! Good job! 💙🌟

Reply

Jax H.
22:28 Feb 09, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.