0 comments

General

Mila looked up into the bright stars shining in the night. She was relieved that the sky was clear. They needed it right now. She went back to studying the sky above, searching for something. She wasn’t sure of what she was looking for exactly. This was the last place she could look for them. She found herself lost in her gaze just as easy as she felt lost in her life. Before she could plead to the heavens for guidance, she was pulled back to reality.

“Mommy, are you sure Daddy will be able to watch us after we leave?” A rough voice inquired softly.

Mila looked down to see innocent and sad eyes peering up at her. The bags were evident under his red eyes and his sniffles were starting up again. She took his tear stained cheeks into her hands and pulled his face to hers. She placed a quick kiss on his nose and placed a soft kiss on his forehead. She let her lips linger on his forehead to ease the mind of the young boy. He put his hands over her hands and looks into her eyes for her answer.

“Wherever you are, your daddy will always watch over you, no matter what.” She reassured. “Remember Eva, your daddy is a stubborn idiot. He promised to always be a thorn in a my side for the rest of our lives and he stuck there for 10 years. Death is no obstacle for someone like your daddy.” She kids with a slight smile.

He cracked a smile as his eyes started to fill with tears again. He pulls his head down to wipe his eyes as she pulls him to her chest. She held him in a tight embrace as he sobbed again. Every mention of Ethan always brought Evan to tears, but avoiding the topic would just make things worse. To remember him for what he was in all his idiotic glory was all she could do. When Evan’s sobs started to settle, he leaned his head back on Mila’s chest.

“You’re right. Daddy was always there, even when we didn’t want him there. He will always be there. Like you say, he may be a big idiot, but he will always be a stubborn idiot.” Ethan said with a slight curl in his lips.

Mila’s lips curled as well at his comment. Ethan was never the brightest person. He was dumb with his comedic ways to make you laugh. Not to mention the stupid predicaments he always found himself in. Of course he always managed to pull Mila along with him.

“Even if he was a big idiot, I still love him. You do too.” He confidently stated.

Mila pulled him closer and snuggled her cheek to the top of his head.

“Of course I love him. It’s the horrendous disease he infected me with to be able to put up with him.” She chuckled.

Before they could make anymore jokes, Mila’s phone goes off. It was supposed to be an alarm to wake them up to get to the airport, but sleep wasn’t an option for either of them.

“Okay, let’s go Eva. We gots to head to the airport to check in.” Mila said as she got up.

Evan followed her actions and dusted himself off as she did. He then began to fidget in his place. Milla looked down and opened her arms to him. His face softened and he held his arms for her to pick him up. She picked him up and his body just fell into place instinctively. His head nuzzled into her neck, his arms laid on her shoulders, and his legs rested on her hips.

“I love you, Eva.” She whispered into his ear as she started to walk back to the car.

“I love you too, Mommy.” He replied as he nuzzled into her neck.

Their flight went well. It was Evan’s first time flying and he was excited. He stared out the window since they got seated. They weren’t even in the air yet and he was mesmerized by what he saw through the window. Mila thought it wasn’t fair for Ethan to not be apart of this. Then Mila remembered that he was always going to be apart of them. She always seemed to do the heavy lifting in their relationship while he just watched. The thought made her mentally chuckle.

Before they took off Mila made sure to take a load of a photos. When they finally took off Evan’s eyes were glued to the window with an exception of the time he had to turn to look for Mila’s hand. Through out the flight Mila did her best to keep Evan occupied. They played cards and games with the occasional look to the window. When his fatigue finally took over they cuddled together in Mila’s seat for most of the flight. She always followed him to the bathroom where he had so many questions about the toilet. When they were on the last stretch of their flight, Evan got quiet.

Mila noticed it immediately. She knew he was nervous, even though she kept telling him that he had nothing to worry about. After she helped him buckle up for landing, she took his chin between her fingers and turned his face to her.

“Everything is going to be fine, love.” She assured.

“What if he doesn’t like me?” He asked her with a glossy eyes.

“Then his loss.” She shrugged before kissing his head.

Mila stoned her expression. If he didn’t accept him, it would be a great loss on both sides. She didn’t want to worry Evan though.

When they landed they disembarked the plane and went to find their luggage. When Mila put all their luggage on a cart she puts her backpack on the basket portion and sits Evan on top. He clings onto her as she starts pushing their baggage through the crowds. She makes her way to her car in the long-term parking lot. She gets Evan as secure as he could be in her back seat. Their first stop was obviously going to be the nearest store for a car seat. After loading the luggage and closing the trunk she fished out her phone. She unlocked her phone and called Tim. It rang twice before being answered.

“Mimi? I thought you weren’t going to use the long distance calling while you are there? Is everything alright?” He asked with concern lacing his voice.

“I’m fine. I am not using the long distance. My flight just got in.” She replied.

“I thought you were coming back next week?” He asked.

“Well things didn’t really go the way I expected so I got an earlier flight. I also really have to tell you something.” She admitted.

“Oh, okay. My last meeting is this lunch meeting. I will make my way home right after that.” He promised.

“Okay.” Mila agreed.

“Did you want me to pick you up something to eat?” He offered.

“No, I’ll just cook.” She declined.

“Well in that case, I guess I am only eating an appetizer during this meeting.” He declared.

“I will never understand why you would pass up a meal made by acclaimed chefs over my cooking.” She sighed into the phone as she shook her head.

“You should have more faith in your cooking, it’s officially my first choice.” He proclaims.

“Uh-huh, trying to see if your words can get dessert too?” She joked.

“You make it sound like it didn’t work.” He chuckled.

“Said by the guy who is only eating an appetizer for lunch.” She playfully scoffed.

“Ah! Mimi forgive me! I have been deprived of your cooking for days I am spouting out nonsense!” He begs.

Mila can’t help but laugh at his outburst. She always enjoyed messing with him.

“Fine, you are lucky I believe in mercy.” She joked with a snooty tone.

“My humblest of thanks, my queen.” He exaggeratedly thanked.

“I will see you at my place after your meeting, loser.” She says as she rolls her eyes with a smile.

“See you.” He said before ending the call.

Mila puts her phone away and gets into the car.

“Sorry Eva.” She apologized.

“It’s okay, Mommy.” Evan reassured her.

After pulling out of the airport they made their way to the nearest store. There they grabbed a car seat for Evan, some other essentials, and the ingredients for lunch. They took their time with the shopping. When they finished they made their way to Mila’s apartment. They unpacked together and situated everything they bought. When that was done, Evan helped Mila with lunch on one of his newly bought stools.

When lunch was finished and dessert was in the oven, Mila made a plate for Evan. She then heard a key turning in her lock. She rushed to the door. When it opened she was about to talk before Tim held his phone in her face. It was an article with the heading, “CEO Attracted to Women with Secret Children?”

Mila purses her lips. She looks back to Tim who had an unreadable expression.

“This is what you wanted to talk about right?” He asked her.

She nodded.

The timer on the oven dings.

“Mommy, the cake is done!” Evan shouts from the kitchen.

Tim’s eyes widen and shoot to Mila.

Mila holds her pointer finger up to stop his assumptions. She then grabs his hand and pulls him to the kitchen. She pushes him into a seat at the bar next to Evan.

“Eva, this is Tim, Mommy’s boyfriend.” Mila introduces as she slips on oven mits.

“Hi, I’m Evan. Mommy and Daddy talked about you a lot.” He said before going back to his food.

Tim was speechless as he studied Evan. When Mila set down a plate in front of him he looked at her with a crest fallen face. She looked at Evan who was caught up in his food and instructed him not to move from his stool until they got back. Mila grabbed Evan a bottle of juice from the fridge and opens it for him before dragging Tim to her room.

“Holler if you need anything.” Mila tells Evan.

“Roger roger, Mommy.” Evan replies.

When they get to her room, Mila leaves the door open a bit.

“He is my kid, but I didn’t carry him.” Mila began softly.

Tim’s eyes widened.

“Huh?”

“Ethan got a girl pregnant in high school. She didn’t want Evan, but Ethan begged for her to keep him. Ethan called me Mommy since we became best friends and it stuck for Evan. Ethan gave me custody over him without my knowledge. I knew I should have told you when I first found out, but I wanted it to be face to face.” She explained.

“I was also afraid that you wouldn’t want to date somebody with a kid.” She added after avoiding eye contact.

Tim’s expression softened and made his way to Mila. He engulfed her into an embrace.

“Mimi, I love you.” Tim declared.

Mila’s eyebrows rose. She pulled back from the embrace and looked up.

“You what?” She asked.

Tim caressed one her of her cheeks. He looked into her eyes.

“I love you.” He repeated.

Mila continued to look at Tim in her muted stated. They had been dating for 7 months. His last longest relationship was ended because of a child. They dated for 2 years.

“I am lost.” She claimed.

“About what?” He asked.

“Aren’t you going to dump me like Esther?” She questioned.

“Mimi, that is different. I didn’t love her as much as I do you. That and it was her biological child which she also lied to my face about.” He entailed.

“I’m sorry from assuming the same. While you were gone my brother got it into my head that you wouldn’t be acting like you did with Evan if he wasn’t yours. I should have had more faith in you.” He apologized.

Mimi caressed his cheek in her palm.

“No apology needed. I would have wavered myself if the roles were switched.” Mimi ensured.

They looked into each other’s eyes. Tim leaned forward and captured Mila’s lips. She returned the kiss. She entangled her fingers into his hair and he pulled her closer.

“Mommy, can I have more food?” Evan hollered.

“Be right there!” Mila hollered back before kissing Tim again.

“Tim, if you keep kissing my mommy, I am going to eat your food!” Evan threatens.

Tim pulls back. He looked at Mila, silently questioning the belief in his intent. Mila nods her head and goes back to the kitchen. Tim follows behind her with their fingers entwined. He then humorously glares at a smirking Evan. His hand was close to his bowl of seared poke.

“You wouldn’t.” He challenged while trying not to smile.

“I will.” He giggled before stabbing a piece with his fork.

Tim excessively gasped and held his hand to his chest. He looked back to Mila.

“I love you Mimi, but he just stabbed my tuna.” He said before kissing her on a cheek and rushing to shield his food.

Mimi rolled her eyes with a smile tempting her lips. She grabbed Evan’s empty bowl to get him more food and herself a bowl of her own.

Evan looked at Tim who was indulging in his meal.

“Tim, you aren’t allowed to hurt my mommy.” Evan proclaimed.

Tim swallowed his food and looked down to a pointed look.

“I would never think of it.” He answered.

“Okay good. My daddy said if you ever hurt her he will haunt you.” He indirectly threatened with a smile.

“Then that means I just have to take care of both of you so he doesn’t do that.” Tim claims with a nod.

Mila places more food in front of Evan who immediately goes back to eating. Mila sits next to Tim and kisses his cheek.

“I love you too, Tim Tam.” She returned.

“Is that why your suitcase is full of Tim Tams?” Evan asked with a full mouth.

“Oh my god I love you.” Tim declared before kissing Mila once again.

Mila smiled into the kissed.

“We have a lot of good things to tell Daddy tonight.” Evan hums.

Tim raises a questioning eyebrow at Mila.

“Ethan told him that the stars are messengers to the heavens.” She whispered to Tim.

Tim nods in understanding.

“It’s getting cold out so why don’t you do that at my place?” He suggests.

“I guess that’s a good idea.” Mila agrees.

“Why?” Evan asked.

“Tim has a skylight. He has a window on his ceiling so he could look at the stars.” Mila explains.

“That’s cool!” Evan exclaims.

“So talk with Daddy at my place.” Tim declared.

“What do you say, Eva?” Mila asks.

“Thank you, Tim.” Evan expressed with a wide grin.

As he grinned tears began to form in his eyes. Mila’s expression sunk when she noticed. Before Mila could place her bowl on the counter, Tim takes his handkerchief from his pocket and offered it to Evan. Evan’s tears began to fall as he reached for the cloth.

“Sorry.” He whimpered as his sniffles started.

“There is nothing to be sorry for buddy. Crying means you miss him and love him. It also means that he must have been a great man.” Tim comforted.

Evan chuckled in between his crying. He agreed with Tim. Tim knew how it felt like to lose his father. He encouraged Evan to cry it out whenever he felt the need to. The sobbing began and Mila took her son into her arms. Her tears began to fall as he wailed in her arms. She didn’t bother how many times he has done that recently, it hurt too much. Tim pulled them close and held them as they both cried for the loss of an amazing person he did not have the honor to meet.

That night they laid on a blanket and looked up at the stars. Evan told Ethan about meeting Tim and how nice he was. When they went to the park and Tim pushed him on the swings and helped him with the jungle gym. Tim even pointed out the different consolations which he called the messengers of the heavens for Evan.

Mila stared up into the stars. She mentally expressed her thoughts to Ethan. I will take care of him. Please don’t haunt Tim and embarrass me. I really want this one to stay and even in the afterlife you would surely find a way to mess with me. Don’t give me something to shake you for when me meet again. I miss and love you, Han.

April 27, 2020 14:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.