9 comments

Fiction Suspense Drama

This story contains sensitive content

Trigger Warning: This story contains graphic depictions of medical procedures, descriptions of serious injuries, and scenes of intense medical emergencies. Reader discretion is advised.


The emergency room buzzed with frenetic energy. Nurses dashed between beds, attending to patients with everything from minor scrapes to severe injuries. The air was filled with the sounds of beeping monitors, the murmur of voices, and the occasional cry of pain. The fluorescent lights cast a harsh, sterile glow over the scene, accentuating the urgency that pulsed through the room.

Amid the controlled chaos, the double doors burst open, and a stretcher was wheeled in at breakneck speed. On it lay a young boy, Sam, his face pale and eyes closed. Blood soaked through the bandages hastily wrapped around his chest and abdomen. His breathing was shallow, barely perceptible.

“Trauma team, prepare for incoming!” a voice called out, echoing through the room.




Dr. Emily Carter, a seasoned emergency surgeon, was in the middle of stitching up a laceration when her pager buzzed urgently at her waist. She glanced down, her heart skipping a beat as she read the message: Critical – Pediatric Trauma. Without hesitation, she handed off the suturing to the attending nurse and sprinted toward the trauma bay.

As Emily approached, she saw the flurry of activity around a young boy’s stretcher. Nurses were working quickly, setting up IV lines, hooking him up to monitors, and preparing for a rapid assessment. Emily pushed through the crowd, her presence immediately commanding attention.

“What do we have?” she asked, her voice steady despite the urgency.

“Eight-year-old male, multiple stab wounds to the chest and abdomen,” a nurse reported, her voice clipped and efficient. “BP is dropping fast, 80 over 50. Pulse is thready. Suspected internal bleeding.”

Emily’s eyes flicked over the boy’s frail body, taking in the pale skin, the shallow breaths, the blood-soaked bandages. She placed a gloved hand on his forehead, feeling the cool, clammy skin. “Get me a thoracotomy tray and a portable X-ray, now,” she ordered. “And let’s get a type and crossmatch for four units of blood, stat.”

As the team moved with practiced precision, Emily leaned in closer, her eyes narrowing as she assessed the wounds. “He’s losing too much blood. We need to stabilize him before we can even think about surgery.” She turned to a nurse. “Prepare for an emergency thoracotomy right here.”

An assistant wheeled over the portable X-ray machine, and Emily positioned it carefully. “Hold him still,” she instructed, as the image was captured. She studied the X-ray, her heart sinking as she saw the extent of the internal damage. “There’s a pneumothorax and possible liver laceration,” she muttered. “We need to stabilize his lung first.”

Emily glanced around at her team, their faces reflecting her own determination. “Alright, everyone, listen up,” she said, her voice firm. “We’re going to perform a thoracotomy right here. We don’t have a second to waste.”

The room shifted into an even higher gear as everyone prepared for the impromptu surgery. Emily took a deep breath, steeling herself for the task ahead. Every second counted, and she knew they were racing against time.

“Get me the thoracotomy tray and a scalpel,” Emily barked, her voice cutting through the din of the emergency room. The team sprang into action, moving with the efficiency born of countless hours of practice and training. A nurse handed Emily the scalpel, her hands steady despite the gravity of the situation.

“Hook up the portable suction,” Emily ordered. “And we need more light here. Move that lamp closer.” She glanced at the clock. Seconds felt like minutes, each tick amplifying the urgency that hung thick in the air. “Start a second large-bore IV and push fluids,” she added, glancing at the nurse managing Sam’s vitals. “His BP is still dropping.”

The room was a hive of activity. Assistants wheeled over carts laden with sterile instruments, and nurses quickly donned additional protective gear. Emily took a deep breath, her mind focused and clear despite the chaos around her. The weight of responsibility settled heavily on her shoulders, a familiar but daunting presence. Every decision she made in the next few minutes would determine whether he lived or died.

She knew her intense training, the long hours spent in simulations and high-pressure scenarios had prepared her for moments like this. But knowing that didn’t make it any easier. It just made her more acutely aware of the stakes.

A life in her hands.

No room for error.

Emily’s gaze flicked to the boy’s pale face. “Hang in there, buddy,” she murmured, more to herself than to him. “We’re going to get you through this.” Her gloved hands moved swiftly, checking and double-checking the placement of each tool and piece of equipment.

“Dr. Carter,” a nurse said, handing her a set of sterile gloves. Emily snapped them on, feeling the familiar snap against her skin. Another nurse placed a sterile drape over the boy’s chest, leaving only the area around his wounds exposed. The suction machine was ready, the quiet hum a stark contrast to the frenetic energy around them.

“We’re going to make an incision here,” Emily said, indicating a spot on the boy’s left side. “Get ready with the suction and retractors.” She met the eyes of each member of her team, seeing her own determination reflected back at her. “Everyone ready?”

A chorus of affirmatives answered her, and Emily took a deep breath. “Here we go,” she said, positioning the scalpel.

As she made the first incision, her mind was a catalogue of focused thoughts.

Visualize the anatomy.

Avoid the neurovascular bundle.

Every second counts.

Precision over speed.

She could feel the tension in the room, the collective breath-holding as they watched her work. Blood welled up, and the nurse moved in with the suction, clearing the field. Emily’s movements were deliberate, her training guiding her hands as she worked to stabilize the boy.

“Scalpel,” she called, her voice steady. “We need to get to the lung and relieve the pressure. Then we’ll address the bleeding.”

Time seemed to stretch and compress simultaneously.

Every moment a battle against the clock.

Emily’s focus never wavered.

She was in the zone.

Every thought, every action directed toward saving the boy’s life.

The room was a cacophony of beeping monitors and hushed conversations, yet within that space, a stillness enveloped her. Every second counted. She made the incision, a precise cut into his left thorax.

“Suction,” Emily called.

The nurse responded promptly, the device humming softly as it cleared the blood, giving Emily a clear view of his intercostal muscles.

“Rib spreader,” she ordered next. An assistant placed the Finochietto retractor into her hand, its cold steel a stark reminder of the task at hand.

As she carefully spread his ribs, Emily’s mind was a whirlwind of anatomical landmarks and procedural steps. She visualized the path ahead: through the intercostal muscles, avoiding the intercostal artery, and into the pleural cavity.

“Scalpel,” she said again, her voice steady.

The instrument was placed in her hand with practiced efficiency. She made a precise incision, the layers of muscle parting to reveal the underlying structures.

“Retractors,” she called, and the assistants moved in sync, holding the incision open to expose the collapsed lung.

Suddenly, the boy’s heart rate spiked. The beeping of the monitor accelerated, filling the room with a tense urgency. “BP dropping,” a nurse announced, her voice tinged with panic.

Emily’s heart pounded, but her hands remained steady.

“Epinephrine, 1 milligram,” she ordered.

The medication was administered swiftly.

“Prepare for internal cardiac massage.”

Time seemed to slow as Emily placed her hands inside his chest, feeling the erratic flutter of his heart. “Come on, Kid,” she whispered, pressing rhythmically. After a few tense moments, his heart steadied, the beeping of the monitor slowing to a more regular rhythm.

“Good work,” she said to her team, a brief moment of relief passing through her. “Let’s move forward. We need to relieve the tension pneumothorax.”

Emily looked up to the head nurse. “Needle thoracostomy kit,” Emily requested.

The kit was placed in her hands, and she deftly inserted the large-bore needle into The boy’s second intercostal space, midclavicular line. A hiss of air escaped, and she watched as his oxygen saturation began to improve.

“Chest tube,” she said, her voice clipped but calm.

The assistant handed her the chest tube and she carefully inserted it, securing it to the chest wall and attaching it to the suction device. Blood and air began to drain, relieving the pressure on his lung.

“Vitals are stabilizing,” the nurse reported, the tension in the room easing slightly.

Emily’s focus sharpened as she moved deeper into his chest cavity, her hands guided by ears of training and an acute awareness of the stakes. Time seemed to stretch, each heartbeat echoing in her ears like the tolling of a distant bell. She maneuvered carefully, exposing his lacerated lung.

“Forceps,” Emily called.

The instrument was placed in her hand, and she used it to clamp the torn edges of the lung tissue.

“Scalpel.”

Another precise incision, deeper this time, revealed the source of the bleeding.

“Need the hemostat,” she said, her voice calm.

The tool was placed in her palm, and she clamped the bleeding vessel.

“Suture.” The nurse handed her a needle holder, threaded with fine silk. She worked methodically, stitching the vessel closed, her movements deliberate and precise.

As she worked, Emily’s mind wandered briefly to the fragility of life. Each stitch, each careful cut, held the balance of life and death. She thought of her training, the countless hours spent honing her skills for moments like this. Every second counted. Every second could mean the difference between saving Sam or losing him.

“Check the vitals,” Emily instructed.

The nurse relayed the information—blood pressure still stable, heart rate regular. A glimmer of hope, but Emily knew they weren’t out of the woods yet.

She moved to the next injury, a torn artery near the lung.

“Scalpel,” she requested.

The instrument was passed to her, and she made a careful incision.

“Hemostat.”

Clamping the artery, she prepared to suture. Each second stretched, each heartbeat a reminder of the life depending on her skill.

A sudden drop in his blood pressure jolted her from her thoughts.

“Pressure’s dropping,” the nurse announced, her voice tight with urgency.

“Hang in there, Kid,” Emily muttered. She worked faster, her fingers deftly tying off the suture.

“Epinephrine, another milligram,” she ordered. The medication was administered, and she waited, the seconds dragging as she monitored his response.

“Come on,” she urged silently, her eyes fixed on the monitor. Slowly, his blood pressure began to rise. The rhythm of his heartbeat steadied, each beep a small victory.

“We’re getting there,” Emily said, her voice carrying a mix of relief and determination. She moved to repair the final injury, a tear in the pericardium.

“Scalpel.”

Another incision, precise and controlled.

“Forceps.”

She carefully exposed the heart, her movements deliberate.

For a moment, it seemed he might not make it. The room held its breath, the tension palpable, but Emily’s hands remained steady, her focus unwavering. She stitched the tear, her mind an inventory of anatomical landmarks and procedural steps.

“Vitals?” she asked, her voice breaking the silence.

“Stabilizing,” the nurse replied, a note of hope in her voice. “Heart rate is steady, BP is normalizing.”

Emily allowed herself a small smile. “Good job, team,” she said. The tension in the room eased, replaced by a cautious optimism. Sam was stabilizing, and with each passing second, hope returned.

Emily’s hands moved with meticulous precision as she placed the final sutures. The laceration in his lung was secured, and the torn artery near his heart was expertly repaired. She felt the familiar weight of responsibility lift slightly as she completed the last stitch, the thread knotting neatly under her practiced fingers.

“Closing now,” Emily announced, her voice steady.

“Scalpel for the last cut.” The nurse handed her the instrument, and she made a final, delicate incision to ensure the wound would close cleanly.

“Sutures, please.”

As she worked, the room was filled with the soft beeping of monitors and the muted rustle of surgical gowns once again. The tension that had gripped everyone slowly began to dissipate. Emily could feel the collective breath being held by her team and knew they were waiting for her signal that the procedure was officially over.

“Forceps,” she requested.

The tool was placed in her hand, and she used it to remove any remaining debris from the wound.

“Needle holder.”

With careful precision, she threaded the needle through his flesh, her movements steady and unhurried despite the urgency that had pervaded the last few minutes.

“Almost there,” Emily said, more to herself than anyone else. She tied off the last suture, ensuring it was secure. “Done.”

The room seemed to exhale in unison. Nurses and assistants began to clean up, their movements now relaxed but efficient. Emily stepped back from the operating table, her gloves stained with blood, but her heart lighter.

“Good work, everyone,” Emily said, her voice filled with quiet pride. “Vitals are stable?”

“Yes, Dr. Carter,” a nurse replied. “BP is holding steady, heart rate normal.”

Emily nodded, allowing herself a moment to reflect. Each second had been crucial, each decision a potential turning point between life and death. She thought about the fragility of life and the importance of every heartbeat, every breath.

She glanced around the room, seeing the exhaustion and relief on her team’s faces. “Thank you, all of you,” she said. “It was a team effort, and we saved a life today.”

The staff nodded, some offering tired smiles. Emily removed her gloves, tossing them into the bin. She washed her hands, the warm water a welcome sensation after the intensity of the surgery. As she dried them, she allowed herself a brief moment to breathe, to let the reality of their success sink in.

Turning back to the boy, now stabilized and ready to be moved to recovery, she felt a surge of gratitude—for her training, for her team, and for the resilience of the human body. “Hang in there, Kid,” she whispered, a rare softness in her voice.

Emily stepped out of the operating room, her mind already racing ahead to the next steps, the next patient. But for now, she allowed herself to slow down, if only for a moment, appreciating the hard-fought victory that had unfolded in those critical minutes.

June 02, 2024 04:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Sian D'ski
07:11 Jun 13, 2024

Wow, Martin - that was a whirlwind of intensity! As I was getting into the story, I paused a couple of times to ask my partner (an Emergency Doctor) what thoracotomy and pneumothorax meant ... then I found myself immersed and I couldn't stop reading, even though many medical terms flew right over my head! It didn't matter, because the heart and soul of this story was evident: this is a love letter to medical professionals. I felt so much empathy for Emily and her team. What I found so moving about the story is the way that Emily talks to Sam...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Krislyn Lyon
21:06 Jun 11, 2024

Whoa, multiple submissions? And they're both good?? You're a rock star!

Reply

Martin Maynard
22:03 Jun 11, 2024

Wow you're humbling me here. Lol. I'm glad you like it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
11:38 Jun 09, 2024

Phew! Glad he made it through. You showed how every second counted and the rewards of working as a team. Your descriptions made it seem very real as if you’ve had personal experience of this. Good drama.

Reply

Martin Maynard
12:33 Jun 09, 2024

Thanks, but no personal experience here with this. I did work in surgery 30 years ago, and I love to research!

Reply

Helen A Smith
17:06 Jun 09, 2024

I enjoy research too. Time consuming, but great when you get it right.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rabab Zaidi
03:36 Jun 09, 2024

Very well described. Right in the heart of the action. A real medical thriller !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Joe Smallwood
17:06 Jun 04, 2024

Hi Martin, I'm out of breath. Whew that was a close one.🙀 Where did you get all the technical knowledge of the procedures? Do you work as a doctor? I would never attempt a story like this. Anyway a great read, thanks.

Reply

Martin Maynard
17:52 Jun 04, 2024

I used to work in surgery as a Nursing Assistant. Now, I love to do research!! I am glad you enjoyed this!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.