0 comments

Romance

Angels and Demons. Both species lived alongside humans and other irrelevant species'. Angels and Demons had a bad history that went on for lifetimes. Both had a royal bloodline, however, the Angels' royal bloodline started to lessen until that blood faded completely. The royal blood of the Demons still lived on and they planned on waging war against the humans and Angels. The plan was then disregarded and forgotten.

Angels are usually imagined with pure white wings and gold halos. This is mostly true, except for the royal bloodline. They can still be recognized by looking at their wings. Their wings are born with different colors. The royals can change their wing color, but the color they are born with will never be forgotten.

Demons are imagined with horns, red eyes, bat-like wings, and pointy tails. The royal bloodline for the demons is recognized with blue and yellow eyes and white horns.

Angel's abilities are nature, water, and healing. The royal Angels' abilities are nature, water, healing, changing their appearance, teleporting, and many others.

On the contrary, Demon's abilities are fire, wind, and the ability to bruise a person just with a light touch. The royal Demons' abilities are fire, wind, the ability to bruise a person with a touch, changing their appearance, teleporting, etc.

My parents are special. My mother is half angel and a half fallen angel. My father is an angel and part royal angel. My mother's mom was a normal angel and my mom's dad was a fallen angel. My father's mom was a part of the royal family and married a demon.

My mom has rose gold fading into grey wings. She also has a heart-shaped birthmark on her cheek and a white halo. My dad has black and gold colored wings. He has horns and a tail. My brother, Kaden, is a mini version of Dad. Kaden's wings fade from black to grey. He has a gold-colored halo and a tail. I look like my parents combined. I have rose gold wings that fade into gold. My halo is white, I have a heart-shaped birthmark, little horns, and a tail.

When I was born, a soft aura was around me. Right away the doctors knew that I was the first in centuries to carry the blood of the pure royal family. Their special abilities were harvested in me.

I have many different forms and have the blood of every animal and creature to ever exist. I can change to whichever form I want in different situations. That is the true power of the pure royal family.

My family bloodline is very complicated. I’m probably the last angle of our kind.

I usually hide my wings to make it look like I’m just a human. I don’t want people praising me because I’m an angel or because I’m part royalty. But, I also hide my true form for protection. It lowers the chance of being detected and hunt down. 

***

I was sleeping soundly until I was rudely interrupted by the alarm clock

“Ugh,” I groaned. “Why did I have to wake up in the middle of such a good dream?”

I sat up groggily and rubbed my neck.

“Charlotte! Get ready for school!” Mom shouted.

I got out of bed and did as told, putting on some music as I did so.

I went downstairs and walked into the kitchen.

“Morning,” I said.

“Good morning,” Mom replied. “Where’s Kayden?”

“Still sleeping I guess,” I said with a shrug.

“All right, I’ll wake him up,” Mom sighed.

I look at the island that had my bagels.

Mom went upstairs, calling Kayden's name.

I took a bite of the bagel and thought of what school will be like today.

It’s been three weeks since the beginning of tenth grade.

there weren’t any good guys to crush on. So I was still single pringle. 

Unfortunately, there was a rumor going around that the royal angels were attending my school. I couldn't let anyone know that it was actually me and Kayden.

Kayden and mom came back downstairs. Kayden stood in front of me, munching on his buttered bagel.

I stared at him. Then he looked up.

“What?” he snapped.

“Where’s my good morning?” I said.

“You don’t get one since you’re so mean,” Kayden grunted.

“Mean?!” I rolled my eyes, “You’re just annoying, but by the way, the hair at the back of your head is sticking up.”

“Ugh!” Kayden groaned. “Be quiet!”

“Enough, are you guys have everything ready? we’re leaving soon,” Mom asked.

“Yeah,” I answered.

I placed my backpack and french horn in the car, grabbing my shoes too.

Mom and Kayden went into the car and I climbed in after then.

Mom drove us to school, going through the car line.

She dropped us off and drove away. Kayden waved and said goodbye as she did.

“Hold on,” I said to Kayden. “Let me change into my human form again.”

I folded my wings and they soon disappeared along with my halo and tail. I looked like a normal human.

“Ok, see ya,” I said. I walked off, leaving Kayden behind.

I walked through the double doors and walked to find Ally and Nicky.

I found them talking to a new girl, Britney.

I walked towards them and gave them a cheerful hello. They replied with a hello back and kept talking. I was left out and had no idea what they were talking about.

I slipped away and decided to look for Skylar and Julie.

I found them standing in the airnasium, heads buried in Skylar's phone.

“Hi!” I exclaimed.

“Oh, hi Charlotte!” they said. They both hugged me.

I looked down to see them watching Tik Tok. 

“Hey,” began Skylar, “have you heard? Someone told me that there are two new students.”

“Really?” I said. “That’s cool. Boys or girls?”

“Both boys,” she answered.

“Oh ok,” I replied.

The two girls resumed watching their little video. I got bored and left. I went to my other friends who were boys. I didn’t know why, but I have an attraction to boys. I just like hanging out with them a lot. Sometimes I worry that someone’s going to call me a "pick me" or a "hoe". 

I shook off the thought and decided to walk around. As I did, I saw a crowd of girls. I was curious and went to check it out.

I squeezed through and between people. When I finally got to the front, I saw a pair of twins. They had bodyguards around them, trying to control the crowd from getting to the boys.

I felt someone bump into me and I suddenly fell towards the boys.

One of them caught me but just as quickly, let go. I fell to the floor with a thump on my butt.

“Oww,” I groaned. “Who pushed me?” I sighed and walked away without another glance.

“Hey, you,” said a voice. “Why didn’t you say sorry?”

I turned around. “Huh? Oh. Sorry, I guess, but you’re the one who let go,” I grumbled.

The guy looked at me. “Aren't you one of those fan girls?” he asked, ignoring the fact that there was a huge crowd of girls drooling over them.

I snort. “Fan girl? I don’t even know you! How can I like someone when I don’t know anything about them!”

“Well, we can change that. I’m Caleb and this is my brother carter,” one of the twins said.

“Cool. I'm Charlotte. What species are you?” I asked.

“Blood wolf, vampire, and dragon,” laughed Carter.

“Oh,” I paused. “Anything else?”

Caleb gave me a funny look. “Why do you ask?”

“Oh, no, nothing. Just wondering,” I sputtered. 

“Y’know, you remind me of someone. What species are you?”

“Just a human.” I shrugged and began walking again.

“Must have been my imagination then… Hey wait!” called out Caleb. “Want to be friends?”

“Sure,” I said.

They think I don’t know that they’re lying. Well doesn’t matter, I'll find out what real species they are sooner or later…

I went into the cafeteria to look for Yale. He’s my bestie, well that's what I call him, but I guess I’m a little obsessed with him… As I said, I don’t have any crushes. 

I found yale sitting at a table with his friends. He was playing his little game as usual. As I made my way to his table, he spots me and looks away, pretending I didn’t exist. 

"Hi Yale,” I said as I poke his back. He ignored me but moves his shoulders back, trying to stop me from poking him. 

“Yale,” I said in a firmer voice, poking him again. 

“What,” he grunted.

“Say hi,” I demanded. 

He ignores me again. I bend down and put my mouth level with his ear. 

“I love you,” I whispered. Then I turned and walked away, resisting the urge to look back.

School went by slowly. During my last period, I looked outside and saw it was raining. I sighed, hoping I wouldn’t have to go through that. 

It was pouring when school ended. I stood outside the school grounds, waiting for my mom to pick me up. Caleb and Carter were walking out of the building when they saw me. They held out an umbrella for me and gave me a coat so I wouldn’t catch a cold. 

“It’s pouring harder, so you want us to take you to our house?” asked Carter. 

I looked at him in confusion. 

“Why would you do that?” I asked. 

“Well,” said Caleb, “We’re friends.”

“We just met.”

Carter smiled. “I highly doubt that.”

I thought it was weird to be going with people I just met, but I forgot my phone and it didn’t seem I have any other choice. 

Mom knows how powerful I am, so she wouldn’t worry, right? But what if she worries that I was kidnapped and got my powers taken away? It’s thundering and she wouldn’t want me to be in the rain like this. 

“No. You can walk me to the nearest grocery store. Oh, and can I borrow your phone?” I said. 

They nodded and proceeded to walk down the sidewalk until we reached a nearby Walmart. Carter lent me his phone.

"Hey, Mom? Umm, a couple of friends walked me to the Walmart closest to school. Can you pick me up here?" I told her.

"Ok, I'm coming now," Mom answered.

I hung up and handed the phone back to Carter. "Thanks for everything."

He smiled. "Yeah. No problem."

Ten minutes later, my mom came with an extra big umbrella.

She got out of the car. "Oh thank you boys for coming with my daughter. Your parents must be worried. Do you mind if I drop you off at your house?"

Caleb smiled. "Yes, thank you."

All of us got into the car and the two boys told Mom their address. Soon, we all sat in awkward silence.

"So," Mom started, "how'd you three meet? You boys look awfully familiar."

I smiled. "Today, at school."

Mom frowned. "No, no. I'm pretty sure you guys met when you were little kids."

Caleb nodded. "Yeah, at the park. We were five, I think."

"Yes, you three and another boy were best friends. Well, I'm happy to see you boys doing well," Mom said.

"Thanks, us too," Carter replied.

Then, Mom arrived at their house, or mansion I should say. It was three times the size of my house and had a bunch of windows.

"Thanks again for driving us home," Carter said.

"No problem. If you ever need anything, Charlotte can give you my number," Mom said back.

"We will," Caleb answered. They turned and left.

***

Weeks passed and there was another rainy day. Kayden's class was released a few hours earlier than my grade, so Mom picked him up first and went home.

Caleb and Carter walked out and spotted me typing on my phone, trying not to get the inside of it wet.

"Hey, want us to take you to our house? We're offering now. Take it or leave it," Caleb smirked, crossing his arms.

"I barely know you. Of course not!" I retorted.

"C'mon. We trusted you enough for you to take us home! Plus, your mom even said that we were childhood friends!" Carter exclaimed.

"Were friends. You left and I forgot you guys."

"It's not our fault we left. Just trust us." Caleb grabbed my hand just as their car arrived.

When the three of us reach the house, two maids opened the door. They were wearing heavy makeup and looked about my age. 

When the maids saw me, their faces fell.

“Welcome home young masters,” said one of the girls in an icy tone. 

“Layla, get Charlotte a towel to dry herself,” Carter said. 

“Lilla, go get her a warm drink,” Caleb added. 

“Guys... You don’t have to….” I muttered. Then I looked at Lilla and Layla. “Hi, I’m Charlotte, nice to meet you,”

They ignored me and did as they were told. Caleb and Carter set me in the living room. 

Layla brought the towel and dropped it in front of me. Carter glared at the young maid and she blushed. 

Lilla gave me a steaming cup of hot chocolate. 

“You should drink it while it’s warm,” she said with a smirk. 

I nodded and tried to take a little sip. but instead burned myself and dropped the mug.

“Oh no!” I cried, “I’m so sorry, here let me clean it up.” I bent down and began picking up the prices of the broken mug. 

“It’s fine. Lilla clean it up!” ordered Caleb. 

Lilla cleaned up the shattered pieces and mopped the floor. When both maids were gone, I asked, “Why are you guys so mean to them?”

“Because they’re stalking brats,” Carter said in disgust. 

“Oh,” I said quietly. 

I looked around and suddenly noticed something. “Where is the rest of your family?” I asked, looking around. 

Carter and Caleb went quiet and glanced at each other. 

“They’re not here,” said Caleb. 

“All right, do you have any other siblings?” I pressed on.

“Yeah. A younger sister and an older brother,” said Carter vaguely. 

“How come no one else lives here?” I said. 

“Dad’s too busy and mom’s gone,” Caleb muttered. 

I swore he sounded bitter at the mention of his dad. 

“Our sister is out of town and our brother is far away,” continued Carter. 

“You should go to bed. I’ll tell Layla to lead you to the spare room,” Carter said, finalizing the conversation. 

He called Layla and ordered her to show me to my room. 

As Layla lead me to the bedroom, she glared at me every time she looked at my face. I never knew the brothers had such a big house, plus so many butlers and maids. 

Layla pointed to a door and left. I opened it slowly and saw a room with a bed, closet, and nightstand.

"It's perfect. Thank you," I smiled.

Layla rolled her eyes. "Can't believe they brought a rat in..." she muttered.

I stared after her in disbelief as she walked away. I shook off the rude behavior and looked through the closet and found some comfy clothes to wear. When I was done changing, I opened the drawer on the nightstand and found a picture book. 

I wasn’t sure if I was allowed to open it, but I need to learn more about these people and why they were so weird. 

I opened it and found pictures of five little kids. I saw one picture with the five playing at a park. When I looked closer, I recognized four of them. There was me… Yale was there too. The other two kids looked like younger versions of Carter and Caleb. I finally believed all of us were childhood friends. But I never remembered the fifth person in these pictures. However, the thought that I wasn’t with strangers was a little more reassuring and I decided to go to bed.

November 18, 2022 23:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.