4 comments

Contemporary American Fiction

[Warning Contains Profanity] “You have HR on the phone? Oh, hell no. You’re not going to fire me. I have a plan, I quit!” Jeremy Meyers shouted, with spittle flying from the corner of his mouth. He spun around and started toward his boss's door. He stopped cold in the doorway and whirled back around. “You know, you’re one ugly-ass bitch. You’ve been after me since the day we met.” He turned his back to her, and slammed the door. The glass wall shook. Heads in the bullpen popped up like prairie dogs and then ducked back down.

Shelia Eckhart stared at the door, her brows furrowed and mouth pursed. Steam almost coming out of her ears. She slammed both fists on the desk. “Well, that could have gone better.” Said Julie Winters, on the speakerphone from HR at headquarters in California.

Shelia snapped, “I expected he’d be upset. But not be so dramatic about it.”

“Well, let him know we’ll need a letter of resignation.”

Jeremy stormed past the receptionist, “Fuck that bitch.” He threw open the hallway door. It bounced back and hit the wall. A painting crashed onto the floor. Carol, the receptionist, ducked and covered her ears.

Shelia was hot on his heals. She stepped into the hallway and yelled, “Hey Jeremy! We’re going to need a letter of resignation. And, we’ll dock your last check for the picture!”

He banged his fist on the down button, then yelled over his shoulder, “Fine!” He always wore a white University of Texas cap backwards. The burnt orange long-horn seemed to glare back at her. His long sleeve plaid shirt swayed above his khaki shorts.

The elevator door opened. He stepped in and turned to face her. Her tight stretch jeans, low-cut yellow blouse and black ballet-like slippers disgusted him. As the elevator doors began to close, he raised both hands with his middle fingers up. She watched as a broad grin slid across his face.

His boat shoes squeaked on the marble lobby floor to the garage elevators. Once in the parking garage, he grabbed the handle of his Lexus. The door didn’t unlock. He patted the pockets of his cargo shorts. “Damn, I left my keys and wallet on my desk.” He spoke to his watch. “Call Chris.”

His buddy Chris answered, “Dude. What the fuck just happened?”

“That bitch was about to fire me. But I quit.”

“Fire you. For what?”

“She had HR on the phone. Tom and her set me up to be the fall guy, for his failure to deliver and deceiving the company. They’re using the quality excuse for losing beta customers.”

Chris said, “What beta customers? 

Jeremy snapped. “It’s even worse, man. Treasure hunters are not buying the concept. He lied to the board about the market and revenue potential”.

“Then the fuck-up’s on him.”

“Shelia sucked up to him and lied about us. She said beta customers are bailing because the product’s full of bugs. Said she’d save the day. All for a promotion. The problem is: there is no market. Now someone’s got to take the fall. That would be me.”

“Of course, blame development for quality and being late.”

Two years before, 3-D Software based in Santa Ana, California hired Tom Middleton. A 48-year-old full-of-himself software executive who worked at Bell Technologies in Austin, Texas. He became the Chief Technology Officer and head of Product Development for 3-D. Being the ladder climber that he is, he wanted the title of CTO on his resume. He agreed to relocate to Santa Ana. After he joined, he pushed to open a development center in Texas. He intended to give himself an excuse to return to Austin often. A move to cover his spending time with his mistress, a former administrative assistant at Bell.

Tom had two issues. He needed a product to put in Texas and someone to build a team around. His scheme, to pitch a new product to the Board and build it in Texas. But first things first, he reached out to Jeremy Meyers. Someone he’d watched step up to lead a software development team at Bell. A trusting guy, someone Tom could manipulate to make his plan a reality.

Jeremy’s cell buzzed. “Hey, Jeremy, it’s Tom Middleton.” He said with a confident tone.

“Wow, Tom, how have you been? Heard you went to 3-D. How’s California treating you?” Jeremy said, sliding into a work-booth in the break room at Cumulus Software.

Jeremy, 33, had a great idea for a software product, and wanted to start a software business. But, a great idea, with no money, is just a great idea. Despite his technical successes, he lacked the confidence needed to step out on his own. He suffered from a fear of abandonment. His father left the family when he and his little brother were in high school. Jeremy became the man of the house. He learned how to act like a leader and convince people around him that he was.

“It’s all good out here,” Tom said. Then he wasted no time getting to the point. He asked Jeremy to leave Cumulus and join 3-D to run the new development center in Austin.

“Oh, man, I don’t know Tom. That’s a big leap from a technical lead.”

“Jeremy, I watched you while we were at Bell together. I think you’ve got what it takes.”

“What are you moving to develop here?”

To pique Jeremy’s interest and stroke his ego, Tom said, “It’ll be a new one from scratch. Great opportunity for someone with your talent. I’ll be in town next week. Let’s grab dinner, it's on me. I’ll share details then.”

An opportunity to build something from the ground up. An experience Jeremy felt he needed. “Sure, okay. No harm learning about it. What day next week?”

“How about Thursday, say seven, at the Twin Owls Steakhouse?”

Jeremy said. “Okay.”

“See you then.” Tom ended the call.

Jeremy’s legs bounced under the table. He popped his knuckles and rubbed the back of his neck.

“Hey man, what’s up?” Chris said, sliding onto the bench in front of him. “Who called? Is everything okay? You look rattled.”

“Maybe.” He paused and stared into space past Chris.

Six weeks later, Jeremy sat in a small interview room at 3-D’s Offices in Santa Ana. His legs bounced. He popped his knuckles as he waited for the next interviewer. He thought Tom said I was a ‘shoo-in’. No worries. Uncomfortable in a suit, he felt inadequate. What if one of these people rejects me. Will Tom make it happen? The door opened, and the HR scheduler Sue smiled, “There’s been a change in schedule. Shelia Eckhart’s next. She’s the technical lead in IT Operations.”

Jeremy bounced his legs. Beads of sweat popped onto his upper lip. He brushed his scruff with his knuckles. “Is she the last one?”

“Yes. However, Tom wants to speak with you before you leave.” Just then, Shelia stepped in. She wore an unbecoming navy-blue straight business dress. Her makeup overdone. With a speck of lipstick on her front tooth, she smiled a fake smile. As if to size him up, she looked him up and down. Then she extended her hand. “You must be, Jeremy. I’m Shelia Eckhart.”

Jeremy stood and took her hand. She wore an obnoxious shade of green nail polish. The color of her hair was not red, not brown, but an artificial shade in between. Her eyes were almost black, he felt her gaze. She locked a stare at his sky-blue eyes. “Yes, Jeremy Meyers, nice to meet you.”

“Please, sit.” She said, drawing out a chair. She snapped at Sue. “I’ll take it from here.” After an awkward pause. “So you want to lead development in Texas for us. Quite a stretch for someone with no experience in management or with 3-D, don’t you think?”

Jeremy felt his face flush and his brow lift. “I’m up for it.” He snapped. His legs stopped bouncing. “Tell me what you do here.” He flipped the conversation to be about her.

Jeremy felt something. He wasn’t sure if it was sexual or just bad chemistry.“I’ve been here for seven years. I ensure all our development centers are run well. I'm designing and setting up the Texas center. We might be working together. My personal goal is to work in product development. I will be a manager some day.”

“I see.” Jeremy said. He laced his fingers behind his head and leaned back. “Has the Austin sight been selected?”

“Yes, it’s just about complete, I’ve ––”

The door opened and Sue stepped in. “Sorry to interrupt. But Tom has time right now, and he would like to speak with Jeremy.”

Shelia stood and extended her hand. “It was a pleasure to meet you. I look forward to working with you.”

“Likewise.” He smiled as she walked away.

Jeremy watched the silver elevator doors open to the executive floor. Whitewashed hardwood floors stretched between the exposed brick walls. The whole space is surrounded by tall white framed windows. A framework of black metal and glass separated the offices. The center is filled with black and gray cubes.

Tom dashed from behind his desk and grabbed Jeremy’s hand. “Welcome to 3-D, hope the interviews have gone well.”

“They’ve gone OK, I guess.”

“Well, it doesn’t matter. I’ve notified HR to get your offer ready. I’m sure you’ll be pleased. A California salary on a Texas budget.” Tom winked.

Jeremy began to loosen his tie and pop his knuckles. “Nice digs.”

“Take a seat, I’ll show you the new product idea I got approved.” Jeremy sat on his hands, bouncing his knees.

The door swung open. “You must be Jeremy, I’ve heard a lot about you.” A dark-complected, short, thin man in an expensive suit stepped in. He grabbed Jeremy’s hand. “I’m Jesse Walters, 3-D’s CEO. Welcome aboard.” He turned to Tom. “Assume you’ll make the board call at six?” Jeremy noticed a British accent.

“For sure,” Tom said.

“Nice meeting you, Jeremy. We’ll need to get moving straight away on Tom’s idea. Your options will be approved tonight. Look forward to seeing you in Texas.” He stepped out and around the corner.

Tom tapped a button on his desk. The office glass wall went opaque and a slide presentation appeared. “I’ve named the new product ‘Sea Glass’. It moves our seismic visualization into the consumer market. Every treasure hunter will use our new mobile app to see 100 feet underwater just offshore. Once it’s integrated into our satellite network, it’ll be like the water’s not there.”

“That seems like a massive undertaking to me. When do you expect it to be delivered?”

“I committed to less than a year to obtain board approval.”

“Is that right?” Sighed Jeremy.

Two years later, Jeremy and Chris sat in the break room in Austin. Chris stared into the reflection of himself squiggling in his coffee. “I don’t get it. Why is she always here? Almost every month, her or one of her goons comes to check on something. Don’t they have remote monitoring?”

“I think she’s spying on us. Always asking the team prying questions about status and process.” Said Jeremy.

“Why does she care?” Chris asked.

“I think she’s looking for a chink in my armor.” Jeremy said, his legs bouncing under the table. He brushed his scruff with his knuckles. Then took a sip of coffee. “She’s always in the monthly update meetings too.”

“Are you serious?” Chris questioned.

“Yes, smirking at me, with that sickening fake smile.”

“Isn’t Tom in town? Where does he go when he’s in Austin? He’s never in the office.”

“He’s with Beverly.”

“Beverly from Bell?” Chris’s eyes widened. “But he’s married.”

“Doesn’t matter. He’s in too deep with Beverly, and far too deep on this Sea Glass product. It’s not happening.” Jeremy popped his knuckles.

“It’s more complex than he expected. No way it’ll bring revenue this year.” Chris said, as he gripped his mug with both hands. “He’s spent a shitload of 3-D’s money just to dip his wick.” Jeremy pursed his lips, leaned in and stared at Chris. He whispered. “I don’t trust him.”

Tom stepped into the break room. “Jeremy, I need to see you, right away.”

“So he is here today.” Chris grinned.

The Austin center, a micro version of the executive floor at 3-D’s headquarters. It included two furnished, glass executive offices for ‘visiting’ executives. Tom kept one reserved for his stop-overs. Shelia and her goons camped in the other, despite her not being authorized to reserve it.

Jeremy rose from his seat and slid his chair in. “I’ll go see what he wants. I’m sure it’s about the schedule and quality, again. He only hears what he wants to believe.”

Tom motioned for Jeremy to come in. “Have a seat.” He pushed a button and the glass went opaque. The door opened and Shelia slunk in and stared at Jeremy. She gave him a conceited smile before sitting in the chair next to him. “Jeremy, you and your team have failed to deliver. We’re losing beta customers over quality issues and ––”

“Not true. This project is much bigger than you anticipated. There aren’t enough treasure hunters in the world to justify it. Despite that, we’ve been working nights and weekends to make it happen.” Jeremy bounced his legs. His face flushed. He popped his knuckles. “We’ll make it happen, Tom. I’m just not sure who’d buy it.”

Tom leaned forward, his brows straight and lips tight. “Shelia tells me that on her visits here, you and your team leave on time or early sometimes.”

“She’s lying.” Jeremy glanced at her, then back to Tom. He lifted his UT cap and brushed back his chestnut hair. “The schedule was set in stone before we had a team in place. And, where’s the business plan that says someone would buy it?”

“Shelia assures me she can get the team to deliver a quality product by year’s end. She’s been visiting with beta customers. They’re all complaining about the quality. She says you're too busy coding and not leading.”

Jeremy glared at Shelia, her dark stare fixed on him. Tears welled in his eyes and his cheeks grew warm. He popped his knuckles and bounced his knees faster. “Come on, Tom, she’s IT, she doesn’t know shit about delivering products.”

“Well, I’ve––”

Jeremy cut him off. “Tom, this project was doomed from the start. You lied to the board just to have an excuse to get laid.” Shelia snickered.

“Jeremy, I’ve promoted Shelia to Development Manager for Austin. She’s relocated here. You and your team report to her. That’s now her office next door.” He said, thumbing toward the other executive office.

Jeremy stood, rubbed the back of his neck and stared into Shelia’s soulless black eyes. His brow furrowed and lips pursed. “Fine. Just fucking fine.” He stomped out of Tom’s office.

The next morning, Shelia peeked out of her office. “Jeremy, can I see you, please?”

He stood, glanced across to Chris, shrugged and held up his hands. Then he winked. Two weeks earlier, 3-D Software went private. Jeremy and Chris netted $3.5 million a piece from their stock options. He sauntered into Shelia’s office. “Have a seat Jeremy, by the way, I have Julie Winters from HR on speaker.”


Copyright © 2022 by Chandler Wilson

November 04, 2022 00:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Tommy Goround
10:05 Nov 05, 2022

I like: -the come-uppetance. -the business movement. Seems like tech companies can really move that fast. Excellent explanation. -50 to 100 people have had to change their lives so that a fake Chief Tech Officer can sleep with a woman. (This would make a very good first line by the way) -we are left to ask... What special skill set does this woman have? Can she find the home keys in the dark? Perhaps she was one of the first beta testers of Google Glass.... And now she has bionic powers of love.

Reply

Chandler Wilson
12:59 Nov 05, 2022

Thanks, Tommy, for taking the time to read and comment on my story. There are plenty of users being used in the high-tech world. I guess almost everywhere. There are numerous directions to take this story. It was just a cathartic tale for me. Thanks again.

Reply

Tommy Goround
13:30 Nov 05, 2022

All the guts are there. Some people don't eat gizzards. I write therapy, save over 200$ shrinks and return to story asking: "what can be felt here? What can be learned?" People forget that all vocational fiction has an audience. It might shrink with technical info. Please consider the 2 questions, hit an Irish plot or just start writing a feeling. You feel express better than most of us. Stuck in.middle? Take a walk. Hit the twist or unify the theme. Mid breaks are usually good. If you stay up reading for 22 hours on NoS and pound out ...

Reply

Chandler Wilson
21:52 Nov 06, 2022

Thanks, Tommy. All good advice, much appreciated!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.