0 comments

Fiction Holiday

Sam Owens was one of the best party planners in the city. He had his own way of doing things, and other people just got in the way. So when the mayor’s assistant called him he knew what it was going to be about. He rolled his eyes and answered the call.

“Hello, this Sam Owens, how can I help?”

“Um, yes, hello,” The line was weak, as the assistant sounded distant and muffled. “I was wondering if you had any information on that party? It’s very important for the mayor’s election party to go well. You’ve had three months-”

“Yes, and I told you it would get done,” Sam cut in, annoyed.

“Well, yes, but you haven’t actually gotten back to us.”

“Perhaps because I was actually working?”

“I don’t appreciate your attitude, young man. This had better go well. Is everything being handled? Do you need us to do anything?”

“You don’t have to like me sir, just pay me. I assure you everything is being handled, so you can just sit back and relax. Just get there on time and everything will be handled. You remember the party for the president last year? That was me. Don’t even worry.”

The assistant hesitated. Then, sounding more than a little frustrated, said, “Fine, just get it done.”

Sam assured him it would and hung up. Sighing, he leaned back in his chair. Looking at his calendar he whistled, it really had been three months since he took the job! Guess it was time to start. In his opinion he worked better under pressure anyway. He chuckled to himself and pulled out some notes he’d scribbled down when he first took the job. In a matter of days he’d made the proper calls, designed the layout, reserved a caterer, and organized the entire event. 

He printed off a document and walked out of his house. Other people had to have whole teams of people and months to do what he could in days and he prided himself on that. The final step of his process was to take the outline to his customer by hand. Sort of a personal touch of his.

The mayor’s office wasn’t actually that far, and even he had to admit he was getting a little chubby, so he walked over on foot. Sam strided over to the assistant’s desk and set the papers down on top of a large pile of files the assistant was working on. Scanning the document, the assistant joyfully  remarked,

“You had me really scared there, this is very well done.”

“Of course. There wasn’t any reason to worry.”

“Yes, yes. Oh, by the way, there’s been a young man looking around for you. Trying to learn from the best, I imagine.”

Sam thanked the assistant for the compliment but insisted he didn’t work well with people and quickly vacated the building before this young man could find him.

Unfortunately, he was too noticeable and not quite fast enough. The man that rushed up to him looked to be barely into his twenties with a mane of shaggy brown hair. He introduced himself as Erryn.

“Hello, Mr.Owens! I’ve seen your work and I would love to work with you to learn what you know, I‘m a huge fan of your work and—.”

“Why don’t you finish college first or something, then we can talk”. That’d buy Sam a few years. Maybe this kid would change his mind after the college experience. Those thoughts were dashed when Erryn energetically responded.

“No sir! I think you’ll teach me more than those classes would, with the hands-on learning and all.”

“Probably, but I’m not really in a spot to teach right now. Thank you and have a nice day.”

As he turned to leave Erryn called out. “Wait! Here’s my number, just in case you might change your mind. I’ve been in the business for a few years and I have lots of local contacts. I could help while I learn from you!”

It was the most Sam could do to keep from laughing. While he admired the kids' self confidence to say that, Sam was the best and didn’t exactly need help in his mind. He took the number and walked away, thanking Erryn.

As he rounded the corner he walked toward the nearest trash can and reached out to throw away the phone number when someone grabbed his arm.

Yelping, he tried to jump back but the person grabbing him was too strong. He looked to see an old man covered in ragged clothes, and looked like he had skipped the barber and dentist for a good while. The man raised a finger to his lips.

“Now stop causin’ a scene. Quiet down!”

Sam stopped resisting more out of astonishment than wanting to listen to this strange person. 

“There there, much better. Now don’t go throwin’ that number away. You’ll be needin’ it,” the old man said.

“Excuse me?”

“Now you’ve been stubborn as a mule since the day you were born but this year you’re gonna stop actin’ like you can do it all. Someday you won’t be able to and you’ll be needin’ that boy's help. This is the year you learn to accept help, whether or not you like it. Go!”

He released his arm and Sam bolted down the hall. He turned his head to see if the old man was going to follow him, but to his confusion, he wasn’t there. Still clutching the number in his fingers, Sam walked all the way back to his house, constantly looking over his shoulder to see if he was being followed but he never saw anyone. 

Glancing at the piece of paper with Erryn’s number on it, he couldn’t decide whether or not to throw it away. In the end he decided to put in one of the drawers in his kitchen. That was by far the weirdest thing that had happened to him.

“I leave the house for twenty minutes and I get pestered by a nineteen year old and then nearly assaulted by a ninety year old!” Sam continued with his life, though he often looked back and wondered about it. 

Despite the words of the old man, Sam hadn’t learned to work with people. For the next few months he took on projects and completed them by himself. In fact, he worked harder than usual, perhaps to spite the crazy old man who claimed he needed help. But that didn’t last long. As he got better and better, and his contacts for supplies and food grew longer and longer, he got lazier. Putting off work till the last couple of days. By December it got so bad that he was completing entire projects on the last day. The quality of his work slightly lowered, but even lowering the quality he still was one of the best.

So he wasn’t surprised when he got the offer to plan the big New Years party, probably the biggest event of the year. The mayor even called him up personally.

“This is a big project. I need this to be perfect. Can you do it?”

Slightly offended that it was even a question, Sam responded, “Of course.”

He scribbled some notes down and then laid the project aside for a time as he worked on the many other projects he’d neglected. The mayor had learned not to call Sam until very close to the date of the party, so it was very annoying when Sam’s phone rang with a call from the mayor.

“Hello! Is there anything you need?”

“No sir, I’m doing fine on my own.”

“Excellent, I need everything perfect for tomorrow.”

“...excuse me?”

“You haven’t forgotten about the New Years party tomorrow, have you?”

Sam had completely lost track of the date. It was december 30th. One day before the party was supposed to be. So he responded,

“Ah, yes, of course! Um, I’ll have to call you back later. Lot’s of last minute details to iron out.”

“Yes yes, of course!”

Sam cursed and swore as he tore around his room for notes. It was late in the evening and Sam was definitely feeling the pressure. He called his main food caterer. After a few rings it went to voicemail. He called his decor people. No answer. Starting to breathe heavily, Sam realized that no one was going to be able to make it from the bigger cities where he liked to hire from. Sam stayed up till morning, and fell asleep over his notes. 

The next day was one of the worst of Sam’s life. The party simply didn’t happen. There were plenty people there—but no food, no decor, not even a building to have the party in. The mayor was in a blind fury. Sam woke up to ten missed calls. When he answered, the normally mild-mannered man nearly exploded with rage.

“Where is everything! Where's the food! Where are you! You’ve given me no information whatsoever. This is the most unprofessional display I’ve ever had the misfortune to see!”

The day continued much like that. All the guests, disappointed, went home. Sam was awaiting a legal letter of some sort for not upholding his end of the bargain. He couldn’t sleep. It was late at night when he looked up at his clock. It was 11:58. Only two minutes until this miserable day was over. 11:59. One more minute. Finally the clock showed 12:00. Strangely the date didn’t change. It still showed December 31st. 

“Even my clock isn’t working today. Why can’t something just work today?”

With that he fell into a deep sleep. 

           It was midday when he woke up again. The phone was ringing. He picked it up. The mayor. Probably calling to tell Sam to get a lawyer or something. Sam heard the mayor's voice boom.

“Where is everything! Where's the food! Where are you! You’ve given me no information whatsoever. This is the most unprofessional display I’ve ever had the misfortune to see!”

Sam held the receiver away, afraid for the man’s sanity. “Pardon?”

“I’ve been calling you for half an hour! This is the most important event in this city! And it’s all ruined!”

“Sir, that was yesterday. And I’m sorry that it happened I just-”

“What are you talking about?” screamed the mayor. “I”m standing here with my family trying to enjoy New years and now I can’t!”

Sam leapt out of bed and pulled open his phone. December 31st. Impossible. 

He ran outside and began asking anyone who would stop to tell him what day it was.

As each person repeated what the mayor had said, Sam’s confusion grew. People began avoiding him and averting their children's eyes from the “crazy person on the sidewalk”. After losing almost all hope, Sam heard a voice he hadn’t in many months.

“Now there you go again, bein’ stubborn. That was a real show ya put on today.”

Sam spun and saw the old man leaning against a telephone box.

“Did you do this?”

“Do what?”

“It’s Friday again!” 

The old man chuckled.

“Yeah. That happens every couple o’ days since last I checked.”

“I don’t think this is very funny.”

“Yeah, but you never had much of a sense of humor anyway. I told ya sonny, you’ll learn to ask for help this year, whether you like it or not.” The man grinned, then a woman and her child walked in front of him, and he was gone.

Sam slumped onto the concrete, taking it all in. Then he had an idea. Ignoring the crazed looks he got, Sam dashed back to his house. He knew exactly what he needed to do to get out of, regrettably, his own mess. He rummaged through his drawers and found the number of that boy Erryn. He put it in his pocket and used the rest of the day to plan his next move. If the old man wanted him to work with people, then work with people he would. 

The clock showed 11:59. Sam waited in anticipation as the clock changed to 12:00. Once again the date hadn’t changed. Pulling out the number he speedily dialed Erryn. After a few rings a groggy voice answered him.

“Hello?”

“Hello, is this Erryn?”

“Um,” Erryn sniffed. “Yeah, who's this?”

“Sam Owens.”

The voice went from groggy to alert in an instant. “Hello sir, I thought you weren’t going to call me.”

“Yeah, well, I need your help.”

There was a pause until Erryn finally said, “You need my help?!”

Sam pinched the bridge of his nose, embarrassed by his desperation. “Yes, don’t get too big a head about it. We’re going to organize the New Years party.”

“Yes sir!”

They met up about thirty minutes later. Though it was early, Erryn was delighted to help. Sam gave the rundown of the party situation, leaving out the repeating days part obviously.

“None of my contacts are answering me and they wouldn’t make it in time even if they could. Do you have anyone?”

“Absolutely! I have lots of local contacts. I’ll get on that right away. I just need an outline of what you need.”

“I’ll worry about that. You just find whoever you can. Any food will work at this point as long as it’s good quality.”

Erryn rushed off and Sam started thinking. He could market the local food as opposed to fancy food as a ‘local, family friendly’ New Years party. It wasn’t Sam’s way, but it’s the only thing they had. He then sent the bare bones outline to Erryn along with a text.

           “Change what you need to.”

The sun had begun to rise when Erryn got back. He laughed, and said, “They weren’t happy at being woken up that early but they agreed to work. It’ll cost you a bit more though.”

“That’s fine, good work. Most important right now is finding a building.”

They tried to brainstorm some ideas for where they could have the party, but no one was taking calls that early and all of the possible buildings were rented out already anyway. Then Erryn had an idea. “Let’s just do it at the park. Local food, local park. Buy some fireworks and enjoy the day.” Impressed, Sam complimented him then said,

“I’ll get on that.”

Sam found a park on the other side of town that had an opening. Finally it was about midday when he walked to the mayor's office while Erryn was buying fireworks. Sitting down in a lush leather couch, Sam introduced the idea.

“That’s very off brand for you Sam,” The mayor remarked.

“Yeah, I’m working with a talented new party planner and he’s doing extremely well so far.”

“Good for you! It’s about time you learned how to talk to people,” he laughed.

Sam thanked him and left. Erryn was waiting outside when Sam got out. 

“Now all we have to do is wait for the party,” Sam said, checking his watch.

“Shouldn’t we go help them set up?”

Sam wanted to argue about how his way was better, as most high class contacts didn’t appreciate the planner poking their nose in their business. He took a breath, then stopped. So far this young man was doing well, so it couldn’t hurt to try. They took a car down to the park and helped the local businesses prepare everything. It was greatly appreciated, and the atmosphere was light and friendly when the guests started to arrive. 

Blankets were laid out for guests to sit and eat. Midnight was fast approaching and Sam was starting to get anxious. What if he had to do this all over again? He was very sleep deprived and was struggling to stand. 

           Erryn was being social with the guests and they were eating it up. Sam was surprisingly very impressed with Erryn. The mayor walked over to congratulate Sam.

“This is going splendidly! I can’t remember the last time I went out to the park and had such a lovely time. Well done!”

“The thanks goes to Erryn, he really helped me a lot.”

The mayor raised an eyebrow. “And some humility! Interesting, Mr.Owens. Have a wonderful evening, then!”

The party continued on for another hour or so with food, games, and some drinking. The fireworks were set out as midnight approached. 11:59 came around. The guests began the countdown,

“10,9,8,7…”

What if Sam hadn’t done enough?

“3!”

It isn’t going to work, Sam thought.

“2!”

Sam walked over to stand next to Erryn. He realized that, even though they had such limited time, Erryn had done very well with what he had and wanted to tell him that he was very proud of what Erryn had been able to do.

“1!”

The clock was drowned out by the bursting fireworks as it struck 12:00. January 1st. The entire party cheered, laughing and whooping,

“Happy New Years!”

December 31, 2021 05:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.