41 comments

Fiction Sad

Dear Ms. Nova,


Congratulations on 30 years in the music biz! I’m very happy you’ve lasted this long in the industry because your music really is awesome and you deserve the longevity.


You’ve probably heard this a lot, but my mom Donna and I are huge fans of yours. We’ve bought all of your albums: from your debut album “Dreams” to the latest one, “Higher”. Any time we’re together, we just have to play one of your albums. Your music is literally a form of bonding for us.


I’ve included a photo of you during your last concert here in our city, and I hope you can sign it and dedicate it to us. We’re planning to frame it and have it displayed in her living room.


Again, congratulations. May you have more success in the music industry.


Sincerely,

Tiffany James from Dallas

**************

Dear Ms. Nova Richards,


We’re sending this letter to congratulate you on your 30th anniversary as a recording artist. All of us in the Nova Richards Fan Club Brazil are very proud to support such a talented singer and songwriter like you.


We want to thank you for making us happy through your music. Your songs always make us dance but also, inspire us to be the best women we can be. We love how most of your music is about “being the strong, independent queen that inside each woman”, to quote one of the lines you often say in interviews. Each of the club’s members may have a favourite album, but for sure, all of us find your music our favourite.


We wish you even more years of success.

With love,

Nova Richards Fan Club Brazil


P.S.: Please consider coming to Brazil on your next world tour! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaassee!

*****

Dear Ms. Richards,


Well, to be perfectly honest, I don’t even know how to begin this letter. I’m not the type to write to any celebrity, let alone someone who has won fifteen Grammies in her thirty year career. So yeah, this might sound a bit weird; this probably isn’t your typical fan mail letter. Sorry about that.


Well, then again, I don’t know if you could consider this fan mail; I must admit that I’ve never listened to any of your albums. Sorry. Being in the music industry, I think you should know that everybody has their own taste in what to listen to, and your bubble gum pop dance music has just never been my cup of tea. Most of the music I listen to is from the 70s and 80s, decades of songs that my late father Steven had lovingly shared his enthusiasm for with me. No, I’m afraid you’re not going to get any lines about your music inspiring me or something.


Surprisingly enough, though, my dad loved your music…very much so. I still remember how every single afternoon that I would come home from school, I could hear the thumping bass featured in your “Dreams” album from a block away and knew Dad was in the living room. When you released an album, he would queue up at the crack of dawn just to get a copy. Before he left Earth, he’d asked me to write to you, the lone pop star in his pantheon comprised of the likes of Marvin Gaye, Fleetwood Mac, Bread, and Tears for Fears. It sounds weird but yes, a burly man with no hair had once considered himself your greatest fan. How great? Well, I’ll tell you somewhere in this letter.


This letter isn’t just about me telling you how much my late Dad loved your music nor is it going to end with me asking you for an autograph (No, thanks.). What I’d like to ask you goes beyond that.


When I was six years old, my mother Louise walked out on Dad and me, leaving just a letter to explain why she had packed her bags and booked a one-way ticket to America. And so, growing up, it was just my father and I. As soon as Mum left, Dad had written a letter to his boss requesting that he cut back hours in the office ---for less pay, of course --- so he could spend more time with me.


With that extra time, he taught me music. I woke up to the sounds of Tammi Terrell and Marvin Gaye’s “You’re All I Need to Get By” and fell asleep to Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway’s “The Closer I Get to You.” In between those hours, Dad would play Radio DJ with me, selecting a song from his massive 70s and 80s music library and coming up with an intro spiel for each song that came out of the record player, all to make me giggle. By the time I was nine, when the easiest way to play CDs was Windows Media Player, I could make my own song requests and could even “present the show” myself, gaining me approving looks from my dad. To this very day, I consider the 70s and 80s music I grew up with secondary roots, that which connected me to the primary root that kept my entire being grounded: Dad.


However, there was one artist we disagreed on. I still remember the day in 1994 when I heard the thumping electronica beats from your debut album laying waste to the entire living room. Dad excitedly told me about how he was enjoying these new sounds, but all I could hear was betrayal (in more ways than one, as you know). I did not get how afternoons with the beautiful horn section from the 60s and 70s experimental era of Chicago could be replaced by the monotonous computer-generated beeps of your songs, how Joni Mitchell’s poetic lyrics could be considered by Dad as moving your repetitive and vapid verses, how your thin, grating voice could be just as loved Aretha Franklin’s soaring vocals. With every album cover of yours I saw in my Dad’s record collection --- with every fake smile behind a crystal case, with every smug sparkle in your eyes in photos, my disdain for you grew, to be honest. I always saw you as the intruder that uprooted me, the one that clipped off the secondary roots just because you didn’t like what bloomed above.


When you won that first Grammy for Best Female Pop Vocal, I was livid. My mind was spiraling as I passed by Dad's bedroom and saw your smug, overly made-up face on the telly.


"How could they reward her," I asked myself. "How could they rob the Whitney Houstons, the Bonnie Raitts, and the Tina Turners of the world for her?"


When you announced your first world tour, I wished fervently that London wouldn't be on your list of stops. Dad would have surely be first in the queue for tickets, and I would have to watch his dopey, happy face as he clutched his pass to be just in the same arena as you. Well, thankfully for me, that wish came true. In fact, that deep desire was fulfilled every single time you announced concert dates around the globe: I know that you've sang in packed venues from Los Angeles to Lima, from Lagos to Lapu-Lapu; never have you gone back to ol' Londontown, though. But of course. You were there for all of your fans in other parts of the globe, but you were never there for....well....


Even as Dad was hooked to a chemotherapy machine, his once-clear voice turning into a whisper as he made that last request, I still didn’t comprehend it. How could a man being dragged to the doors of death still think about some vapid pop singer whose albums he wasted money on? How could he ask his daughter to write to some celebrity whose music he knew I found lacking in soul? How could he still hang on to the one person who betrayed me, who betrayed us?


Well, I guess you being Dad’s first and only love is reason enough for him…and my love for him is reason enough for me to talk to you.


Look, Mum, if it were up to me, I’d have nothing to do with you ever again. However, when I accidentally turned on Dad’s beat-up desktop computer and stumbled upon pages upon pages of love letters to you on Microsoft Word 97 files --- letters I remember that he printed out, letters that each swiftly came back with a Return to Sender stamp on the envelope --- I thought I’d grant him one last request. This time, it’s no longer a Roberta Flack song or a special spiel in our pretend radio show; I’d like to request for you to see the man who loves you most, the man who had you stuck on repeat in his head all his life.


Dad will be buried in Tower Hamlets Cemetery. I know you’re used to people asking you to come to wherever they’re living in, but I do hope you grant this plea for you to go home to London. Your greatest fan will be waiting for you.


Sincerely,

Anita Ian from London (a.k.a. your daughter)

***

“Hotel Fasano Ipanema Concierge, how may I help you?”


“Hi, this is Nova Richards in Room 1605.”


“How may we help you, Ms. Richards?”


“I know this is going to sound weird, but do you happen to have a shredder?”

February 06, 2024 11:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

41 comments

21:09 Feb 15, 2024

Hi Stella, I got this in critique circle. It's a really fun read with a great ending. I love a twist and I love the dark side. I did see the mum thing coming I'm afraid but the shredder was a stroke of genius. I really like the couple of letters at the beginning that give a stark contrast to the main one and they left me wondering if the real fan mail might get shredded too? What exactly is this woman like? Just how heartless is she? If you want any suggestions for improvement I only really have one and its minor: - repetition of the word ...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:21 Feb 15, 2024

Thank you so much, Katharine ! I don't know if I made it clear enough, but I sort of implied that it's only the main letter that will get shredded through lines like "You were there for your fans on other parts of the globe, but you were never there for..." and the fact that she was in staying in Brazil (the request of the second letter) when she asked for the shredder --- She loves being with fans, but not her family. I will definitely consider changing the repeating word (That is, if I still can. I believe once it's approved, you may no ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
06:02 Feb 21, 2024

Stella, you're quickly becoming one of my favorite writers on here. I thought the structure was so smart and acute. The twist really had me. Great job.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
06:12 Feb 21, 2024

Oh my ! That means so much coming from you. Thank you so much! I'm glad the twist worked for you. I quite enjoy writing in epistolary format, so I decided to use it here. Glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:00 Feb 19, 2024

Really great take on this prompt, very inventive! Loved it

Reply

Alexis Araneta
09:46 Feb 19, 2024

Thank you so much, Jess! Glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nolan Shultz
00:26 Feb 18, 2024

Great read, love the ending!! Awesome job, Stella!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:35 Feb 18, 2024

Thank you so much ! Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kerriann Murray
17:25 Feb 15, 2024

Great story Stella! Loved the twists and your take on the prompt.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
18:01 Feb 15, 2024

Thank you so much, Kerriann ! Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Korinne H.
20:43 Feb 13, 2024

Ooo loved the twist!! Also funny (and sad) ending..

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:17 Feb 13, 2024

Thank you so much, Korinne. I felt like that's the most appropriate way to end it. Thanks for reading this !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarah Jo
07:21 Feb 13, 2024

Ahh! I didn’t see the end coming at all. None of it. Love!!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
07:47 Feb 13, 2024

Thank you so much, Sarah! Yes, I like stories where you get caught by surprise, so I try to put it into my own writing. Thank you for reading this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Honey Homecroft
19:17 Feb 12, 2024

Wow what a twist, I had no idea that was coming! This is such a good use of the email format, and I love that there's a glimpse of Nova Richards at the end, just enough to hint at her side of the story. Well done!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:08 Feb 12, 2024

Thank you so much, Honey ! For some reason, I love using styles where the perspective shifts. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Rutherford
09:45 Feb 12, 2024

Ooooh. Wicked. Didn't see that coming.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
10:08 Feb 12, 2024

Thank you, John. I'm glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Robert Egan
18:22 Feb 11, 2024

Great story via letter! Like others here, I thought the ending had quite an impact. I can believe that some long-term celebrity somewhere must've received a letter like this one.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
18:23 Feb 11, 2024

Thank you so much, Robert. Yes, I felt like that was the most appropriate ending for the story. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
16:37 Feb 10, 2024

This was super original and I didn't see the ending coming. Even after the surprise mum reveal, the brutal shutdown was an unexpected final turn. Great work, Stella. Enjoyed this a lot. Thanks for sharing

Reply

Alexis Araneta
17:47 Feb 10, 2024

Hi, Tom ! Glad you liked it. Yes, I was contemplating whether to end with the mum returning, but it didn't feel right. Thanks for reading this !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:46 Feb 08, 2024

Great twist! “Look, Mum” - that actually made me stop for a moment in shock :) Prior to that, it wasn't super clear why the narrator had such hatred for this specific artist. Yes, it wasn't her preferred kind of music, but she still shared all the rest with her father. It felt like there was something else going on - and clearly there was! I like the end, too. There's an uncrossable void between the father and the mother, and while he still held onto hope to his dying breath, she couldn't forget her family fast enough. Thanks for sh...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:12 Feb 09, 2024

Hi, Michal! I'm glad you liked the story, especially considering I kind of just slapped it together to be able to submit this week. Hahaha ! I'm also glad the twist caught you off guard. I really wanted there to be this sense of "She did the most hateful thing to me...and she's making music I hate." Like I said in a previous comment, I felt like the mother junking this letter (just as she had Steven's ones) was the ending that made sense with everything that's going on in the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
09:14 Feb 08, 2024

What a twist! I kept wondering, where is this going - how does it tie to the prompt - and then you smacked me with it. Spectacular writing, Stella!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
09:19 Feb 08, 2024

Thank you so much, Ty! I'm glad I was able to pull this off because the first couple of days of the prompts being announced, I actually had no idea what to do. Hahahaha! Glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:51 Feb 08, 2024

Wow, that was intense and brutal! Nicely executed, Stella!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
04:59 Feb 08, 2024

Thank you, Melissa !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
20:38 Feb 07, 2024

OMG my mouth literally fell open at the line starting with “Look, Mum…” What a twist I did not see coming! Loved it :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:09 Feb 07, 2024

Yay ! I'm glad the twist surprised you. Thanks for reading, Hannah.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claire Trbovic
22:24 Feb 06, 2024

What a brutal ending, maybe a bit too brutal! Loved the format, kind of a reverse Eminem ‘Stan’ vibe, really enjoyed it! ♥️

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:39 Feb 07, 2024

It was Indeed. I was thinking of how to end the story, and I felt Nova/Louise coming home would be too expected. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
17:02 Feb 06, 2024

A great take on the prompt. I'm so with the MC about (60's) and 70' music as opposed to pop. Saw where you're going and loved how you took me there. Great last line.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
17:38 Feb 06, 2024

Glad you liked the story, Trudy ! I too am a 70s music fan, so it was fun to put it into my protagonist. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angela M
14:14 Feb 06, 2024

This format was is so creative and interesting! I especially love how succinct and tragic the ending is. Very well-written!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
14:18 Feb 06, 2024

Thank you so much ! To be honest, I wasn't sure what to do with the prompts this week, but I'm glad I was able to still write a story. I'm happy you liked it.

Reply

Angela M
14:31 Feb 06, 2024

Omg girl I feel you. This prompt sent me spiralinggg.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
14:34 Feb 06, 2024

I suppose the fact that I wasn't really a video game or tech person as a child didn't help this week. Hahahahaha!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:09 Feb 06, 2024

Can't believe after a letter like that she would shred it. Not very motherly. Or classy for a classic icon.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:44 Feb 07, 2024

I was thinking of what to do with the ending, and considered ending it on with Nova coming home. However, I thought that would be too expected. Besides, if she hadn't come back After 30 years, then yes, this would probably be the ending. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Mary Bendickson
01:52 Feb 07, 2024

True. Obviously her career was way more important to her than mothering had ever been.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.