4 comments

Mystery

Walking up to their hideout clearly took a toll out of the couple as the larger figure was doubled over breathing heavily. The smaller and more energetic was gesturing frantically that they must keep moving. What was being said was unknown, unfortunately they were too far away to hear any words, yet it the words seemed to be working as the larger figure begins to move slowly whilst holding their side. As they stride forward unawares that they are being watched each starts to rumble in their bag showing the other what they have. Food, books, water and a box. As quickly as he got it out, she grabbed it and thrust it back in the bag furiously gesturing around them. Not wanting to be left out the open for too long the lady quickly marched up the hill towards their hideout which was covered by a mixture of large and small rocks. 

 

The couple had no idea that they were being watched from afar, with only their upper bodies on for show, everything had to be perfect. There could be no room for errors, this chance could be months before it came again. The unknown figure shifted their body slightly to get comfortable, ensuring the surrounding nature was not disturbed. The couple had shown they were waiting for any sign to go back and hide. The female has hidden themselves out of place for a while, do they suspect or know what is happening? Does this mean the figure high on the hill side has lost the opportunity? She could not possibly know but yet she seems to have hidden herself, perhaps to check on the most important cargo the couple had. Either way her reappearance would surely mean months of lost planning. The lone figure needed what they had taken.

 

The solitary figure had been hidden so carefully for several months and this was the best opportunity to get close to obtain what they had been searching for. For something so near it seemed to always be out of reach. They were determined not be denied this time as the danger of them leaving or perhaps someone else encroaching on their prey was too high. The decision would be made that they would now act, they would not be denied. The woman reappears now covering something in her hands. That’s it! The solitary figure jolted forward in excitement and forced themselves to stop, cursing silently as they should not be disturbing the environment. What if any birds had taken flight or the tall grass had swayed unnaturally, for there is no wind today. Daring to catch a glimpse at the couple hoping, nay preying that nothing had changed. Looking through the lens the lone figure could see the woman squinting and scanning the area waiting to see if anything would be out of place. The man throwing his arms and up and down indicating that there is nothing to worry and noting out of place. Motioning her towards him he grabs the object and opens it. This is the moment that has been leading up to everything through the lens the lone figure is able to see what is being kept in secret. Once confirmed this would be it. This would be everything that the figure has been waiting for. With their breathing getting heavier they adjusted the equipment.

 

One moment is all that the lone figure is now waiting for. With bated breath the lone figure gets his hands and fingers into position creeping forward slightly to get his best aim as he waits. From afar the male walks away from the cave moving towards a stream where the couple have set up water equipment. They may have purchased supplies, but one can never be too overstocked with liquids. Turning his back away from the female companion he bends down to collect whatever bottles have been filled for they shall be leaving there in the early hours of darkness.

 

It’s too dangerous to stay in one spot, they both know it, but the cover of darkness provides an ally and allows them to move a little more freely. Watching the female through his lens he can sense that the time is near, everything will soon come to fruition. The female angrily strides over to the male gesturing to hurry up. At this stage, the lone figure begins to track her movement, seconds begin to feel like minutes and minutes like hours, he can feel the blood pounding in his ear, the adrenaline coursing through his veins. He has never been this close and now they will soon cross paths making the impossible slightly possible. That’s it! Holding his breath in correcting his aim and then BANG!

 

The sound of the bullet cracks through the air breaking the peaceful surroundings sending all nearby animals into a panic. Blood splatters over the ground the moment it is pierced by a single bullet.

 

Where did that come from. The bullet grazed the back of the leg meaning that whoever fired it is up on hire ground. Surely the couple don’t have help, the lone figure had been watching them for so long and it seemed impossible that they could make contact with someone.

 

Yet it was happening, right now the lone figure was in a deadly game of cat and mouse and he was the mouse. Scanning the high ground quickly, nothing was out of the ordinary or looked suspicious, yet the bullet must have come from somewhere. The only explanation was the person has now moved. He would have to do the same to avoid being killed but would have to move quickly. 20 yards to his right was his best bet as the grass is tall and thick. Now crouching on his legs, he moved as quickly as he could hoping the cat had not repositioned themselves just yet.

 

Once he touched down, he breathed a sigh of relief that no more shots had been fired. But whoever this person was needed to be dealt with before he would attend to the couple. Moving to the edge cautiously, setting up his gear he once again scanned the area for any sign his predator was near. This was now just a waiting game they both knew that whoever blinks first would surely be the one to lose. The lone figure could not see any sign of the person who had shot at him. They were obviously a professional, but the bigger mystery is are they working for the couple or were they hoping to secure that item.

 

A slightly darker patch of grass caught his attention. The scenery surrounding his shooter was a golden coloured grass land yet one patch appeared not to fit its surroundings. This had to be it. Before taking further aim the lone figure gave one more look into his surroundings to be 100% sure. There would be no going back if he did this. If he is right, he would need to confront the pair as they would soon be leaving. If he was wrong, then whoever is hunting him would surely kill him. Taking aim cautiously he waited with bated breath lying there hesitant to pull the trigger. Taking a moment to compose himself and then, the shot was taking once again a bullet breaking through the air destroying the silence.

 

He had found his aim but decided not to move from his spot for 10 minutes. When no shot was fired back the lone figure was sure he had found his mark however he needed to check.

 

Cautiously he got into the crouching position and moved to the spot, stopping every so often to take into his environment. As he made his way over, he could see the outline of a gun propped up with what looked to empty clothes in the distance, stopping to take one final breath he knew he had lost. The sound of a revolver being cocked behind told him as much. He turned and faced the person with a smile on his face before his chest was hit with a single 38 special.

 

“You can come out now. The target has been eliminated.” The softly spoken voice of a women was heard throughout the mouth of the cave. “It seemed he was on his own, I have checked the surrounding areas.”

 

“You may be confident but if he found us how many others have. I say we leave now while we can.” The voice shouted deep within the cave echoing throughout. “He didn’t have anything on him did he. Perhaps something that led him to us or gave us an indication of why he was following us?”

 

A mixture of curiosity and fear in that voice. This piqued the interest of the female shooter as she had not been told why they were so sort after, the level of fear in the voice made her wonder why she was never told. Perhaps they were scared if she knew then they would be killed.

 

“Well come on out and I’ll be happy to share with you.”

 

Slowly the couple emerge a little shaken but alive and healthy. It was the female companion which spoke first. “So . . . so tell us, was er there anything the person had?”

 

The question intrigued the female shooter still. The couple were obviously hiding something, and she was determined to find out what. Taking out her revolver to empty the chamber and replace all the bullets she motioned for the couple to sit down. Unsure what to do they stood there staring at her refilling her weapon. “You don’t need to worry about me. I had to set a decoy and I shot him with this gun. I hate having any empty chambers as I don’t count bullets.”

 

Again, she motioned to couple to sit down, this time with her gun. “And in my line of work you need to prepare for anything.” Staring intently at the couple she placed her gun on her lap waiting for them to speak first.

 

Again, it was the female companion which spoke first, the male companion seemed to have lost his voice. “I’m glad to hear that. But I, I mean we are a bit confused why he was here. Was . . . there anything on his person?” Silence once again over the three as he female shooter stood there staring before finally, she spoke.

 

“I did indeed search him, there wasn’t much. Just some food, weapons and clothes.”

 

At the finish of the sentence relief spread across the couple “And yet there was one thing he had, a phone.” The female shooter took it out of her pocket and the relief the couple felt was now replaced by fear and panic. Quickly they both tried to speak “Wait wait please I we can expl-.”

 

Shhh Shhh the female shooter cooed them silent while raising her gun. “I remember you told me that you were unfairly persecuted and wrongly blamed for stealing millions. Do you know what was on this phone?”

 

Holding the phone out so the couple could see their eyes widened in terror. “By the looks on your face you do. How delightful. I assume you didn’t tell me because you thought I would take it all” the couple were unsure what to do at this point rethinking all the possibilities and the different outcomes, but they were certain that only one would happen.

 

Still they could try. “Listen we didn’t say anything as we were unsure what it was. I’m sure once it has been confirmed we would be happy to share with you. Is that what you want as we will do that. You just need to let us go.”

 

This last-ditch effort was all the male companion could muster. Hopefully, his words would be enough to set them free. “I haven’t told you what it is that I have found. So how can you share something with me? Go into the cave and get it. I assume it is whatever is in that box.”

 

Silently, the male companion crept into the cave and grabbed what she had asked for. Taking a moment to look around for his weapons but alas there was not any. Walking out shoulders slumped a defeated look of expression on his face. He tossed the box towards the female shooter.

 

“Thank you. Had you have told me straight away we would have been away sharing a small fortune. However, I found out the hard way that you two hacked the world’s stock market stealing billions, causing the world to crash quite literally around you. I assume in this box is a list of accounts to where the money is?”

 

The female companion nodded and with that two shots were fired, one for her and one for her male companion.

 

Getting up from where she was the female shooter walked of hoping to experience a new life.

July 19, 2020 10:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Jubilee Forbess
22:01 Jul 19, 2020

Hi, welcome to Reedsy! Very good for a first entry. I do have some feedback; I'd break paragraphs a lot more and really watch punctuation because there were a few times when I couldn't tell what you meant because of these two things: not breaking paragraphs for dialogue and scene changes, and not punctuating correctly. Other than that, this'll be a great addition to my library and I wish you the best in all writing endeavors!

Reply

Connor H
15:01 Jul 20, 2020

Hi, thanks so much for the positive words and feedback. Reading it myself I could see the issue if not breaking it up. I've broken it up. But once again thank you

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
15:02 Jul 20, 2020

Awesome, it looks great!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
16:46 Jul 20, 2020

Interesting! A very interesting take on the prompt. Mind checking out my new story and sharing your views on it? Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.